Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Laptop fan never stops even when laptop is asleep

Hi,

When I set my laptop to sleep mode, the fan on the bottom keeps spinning and never stops, which I don't think is necessary because the laptop isn't producing any significant heat anymore. The fan stops when I set the laptop to sleep in windows or linux mint, but ever since I migrated to Kubuntu the fan just never stops unless I shut the laptop down. I'm pretty sure it's just being a battery drain, and I'd like to get it fixed so the fan stops spinning when my laptop goes to sleep.

Here's what I get when I open the System Info app,

Operating System: Kubuntu 23.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.4
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.104.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.8
    Kernel Version: 6.2.0-23-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: Wayland
    Processors: 12 × 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1255U
    Memory: 15.3 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Graphics
    Manufacturer: Dynabook Inc.
    Product Name: dynabook SZ/MVL
    System Version: W6SZMV7EBL​

I also have Windows 11 installed on another partition.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Kaz49; Jul 13, 2023, 04:30 AM.

It would be interesting to know if the same thing happens if you boot to xll instead of wayland?
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Good question! And certainly something worth a try as Linux Mint uses X11 only.

And Linux Mint uses the older 5.15 or 5.19 kernels - could also be kernel-related, though your 12th generation Intel CPU should be better supported with a newer kernel…
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jun 28, 2023, 01:27 PM.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I checked with X11, and the fan still doesn't stop when I set my laptop to sleep.

And to be honest, I'd like to keep Wayland because that's one of the core reasons why I switched from Mint.

Comment

Just was wondering if it had something to do with wayland. But I suspect it's a ACPI problem Do you get any error messages when booting
          if you delete the quiet splash from the boot line in grub?

Comment

Do you mean little white text in the top left corner of the screen when I'm booting? Because I'm pretty sure I do get those.

Edit:
            I rebooted and took a video to capture the errors, they only show up for an instance, flashing in and out of existence 2 or 3 times. I freeze framed the spot where the error pops up and ran the image through an OCR website, I also uploaded the picture here in case the OCR messed up somewhere (Imgur seems to have flagged my picture as "adult imagery" for some reason).
            Code:
            [ 0.181563] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [_SB.PC00.X HCI.RHUB.SS02._UPC], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20221020/dswload2-326)
            [ 0.181567] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (202210 20/psobject-220)
            [ 0.181571] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [_SB.PC00.X HCI.RHUB.SS02._PLD], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20221020/dswload2-326)
            [ 0.181574] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (202210 20/psobject-220)
            [ 0.181601] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [_SB.PC00.X HCI.RHUB.SS03._UPC), AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20221020/dswload2-326)
            [ 0.181605] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (202210 20/psobject-220) 0.181609] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [\_SB.PC00.X HCI.RHUB.SS03. PLD], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20221020/dswload2-326)
            [ 0.181601] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [_SB.PC00.X HCI.RHUB.SS03._PLD), AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20221020/dswload2-326)
            [ 0.181612] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (202210 20/psobject-220)
            [ 0.181639] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [\\_SB.PC00.X HCI.RHUB.SS04._UPC], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20221020/dswload2-326)
            [ 0.181643] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (202210 20/psobject-220)
            [ 0.181647] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [\_SB.PC00.X HCI.RHUB.SS04._PLD], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20221020/dswload2-326)
            [ 0.181650] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (202210 20/psobject-220)​
            The laptop also seems to take a very long time to reboot, I have to wait a minute or so on the
            Code:
            Broadcast from kaz49@kaz49-dynabook: The system will reboot now!
            screen before the reboot happens and I enter GRUB.
            Last edited by Kaz49; Jun 29, 2023, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Yes, is there anything there saying ACPI errors?
              If there is it maybe you need to upgrade your systems bios.

Comment

Yes, all the errors are either "ACPI Error" or "ACPI BIOS Error". I've heard some worrying things about upgrading BIOS, but I'll check it out.

I hope I don't brick my PC

Comment

No luck. I updated the firmware but the ACPI messages still appear, and the fan still keeps running unless I shut the laptop down.

I took a hot minute to figure out how to update the UEFI, turns out the manufacturer distributes firmware updates through Windows update. Good thing I kept Windows in dual-boot.

Comment

As this is a laptop, it is possible; likely even; that the vent ports are full of lint/dust. IF that is the case, then heat will build up faster than normal, and, your fan would attempt to bring the temp down to a point that would normally then have the fan either slow down or turn off. IF it can't get the temp down to that level, then it will continue to run.

When was the last time you had the laptop cleaned (inside)?
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Kaz49 View Post
                      […] The fan stops when I set the laptop to sleep in windows or linux mint, but ever since I migrated to Kubuntu the fan just never stops unless I shut the laptop down.
                      […]
                      If you already have different kernel versions in your GRUB boot menu you could try an older one (because even an older 6.2.x kernel could make a difference - unlikely, but possible).
                      As I wrote: the kernel version is a main difference to Linux Mint (except the desktop environment) - and ACPI functions and Linux kernel are closely intertwined.

You could also try booting from a Kubuntu 22.04.2 LTS live USB stick to try another, older kernel (5.19.x)…​

Creating a new, additional user account and testing if the problem still occurs there is also a good way to dignose errors on multi-user systems like Linux.
                      And it doesn't take much time.
                      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jun 30, 2023, 01:14 PM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Sorry I took so long to get back, life got in the way.

I bought this laptop new a few months back around April, I haven't cleaned it at all.
                        I'm afraid I don't have any kernel versions other than my current latest Kubuntu install on my GRUB menu.
                        I made a new user account and tried from that, the fan still didn't stop when I put the laptop to sleep.

Kubuntu 22.04.2 Live USB... That had some... interesting results.
                        First, I used the KDE ISO Image Writer from Discover to burn the ISO to my USB stick. That didn't work. I got a
                        Code:
                        Failed to start Ubuntu live cd installer.​
                        error message when I booted from the USB stick and the system froze, I couldn't even get into the desktop.
                        So, I used Rufus on my Windows install to burn the ISO. This time, it worked. However, it showed the same ACPI errors as my current install, except with one extra error message:
                        Code:
                        spi-nor spi0.0: unrecognized JEDEC id bytes: 20 43 17 20 43 17
                        Image: https://imgur.com/a/lBCHqMs
                        Then the messages disappeared and the desktop opened up. I clicked "Try Kubuntu" and put the laptop to sleep. The fan stopped. Success! Except the screen had not turned off. The screen was almost completely black, but there was a single character, the underscore _ , at the top left of the screen. Image: https://imgur.com/a/V4h4AXd
                        After that I went and pressed restart to get out of the live USB, and it hung for a few minutes on the screen with the ACPI error messages and the same strange new error message that appeared when I was booting up. Then it turned into the screen with nothing but an underscore at the top left, except this time the underscore was blinking rapidly. It hung there for about 5 minutes until I got annoyed and held the power button down to force restart. The screen with the Kubuntu logo and the message "Please remove the installation medium and press ENTER" never showed up.
                        Then I booted the live USB up for a second time to get the pictures I used in this post, but this time something different happened. Everything was the same as the first time up to the part where I pressed "restart", but then instead of hanging on a rapidly blinking underscore it hung on a different screen:
                        Code:
                        [ 72.774577] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 access beyond end of device
                        [ 72.774636] I/O error, dev sda, sector 1409960 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x80700 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
                        [ 72.774752] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 access beyond end of device
                        [ 72.774636] I/O error, dev sda, sector 1409960 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
                        [ 72.774636] I/O error, dev loop0, sector 1355418 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x800 phys_seg 9 prio class 0​
                        [ 72.775011] SQUASHFS error: Failed to read block 0x295d3537: -5
                        [ 72.775011] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache entry [295d3537]
                        [ 72.775032] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 295d3537, size 7fd3
                        [ 72.775073] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache entry [295d3537]
                        [ 72.775115] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 295d3537, size 7fd3
                        [ 72.776645] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache entry [295d3537]
                        [ 72.776674] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 295d3537, size 7fd3
                        [ 72.777088] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: Cannot probe codecs, giving up
                        Image: https://imgur.com/a/GWumJww
                        It hung on that for about 5 minutes again until I got annoyed and force restarted. The screen with the Kubuntu logo and the message "Please remove the installation medium and press ENTER" didn't show up this time, either.

I have no idea what is even going on.

Comment

Have you inspected BIOS fan options (if there are any)? Does the fan behave as you expect when booted into Windows?
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There are no fan options in the BIOS, and the fan behaves as expected in Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaz49 View Post
                              […]
                              Kubuntu 22.04.2 Live USB... That had some... interesting results.
                              […]
                              This was almost to be expected considering your hardware and possibly the missing latest updates in Kubuntu 22.04 LTS when started from a live USB.

But something had changed for the better in a way with 22.04… - to conduct further tests I would e.g. give live booting TUXEDO OS 2 or KDE neon a try now and see what the fans do there during sleep:
                              https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...f-its-siblings

PS: Did I ask if you already live booted from a Kubuntu 23.04 USB stick?
                              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 06, 2023, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X