create bridge network through gui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

create bridge network through gui

I’m hoping that someone can give me some pointers in setting up a bridge network on Kubuntu 22.10. My motherboard has two Ethernet adapters. Realtek is on enp6s0 and the Intel is on enp7s0. I would like to create a bridge on enp6s0 the Realtek adapter for my VMs.

My problem is that I can’t seem to setup the bridge through the Network GUI interface. I got this working at one point but now I don’t remember how to do it. I think it had something to do with setting a clone Mac Address. But that does not seem to work now.

I thought that maybe I could just create some configuration files but then I could not figure out if I’m using Netplan or NetowrkManager. It would be helpful if someone could tell which network manager we are using in Kubuntu 22.10.

I would really like the steps on how to setup a bridge with the Network GUI interface. Do I need to create 2 wired Ethernet connections first and then add the bridge?

When I create the bridge connection, so I need to set the “Bridged connections” and should the same name as when I created Wired Ethernet connection?

Any help would be very appreciated.​

Well, you don't necessarily need a bridge to connect VMs to the internet if that's the goal. Depends on the VM software. IME, KVM and VirtualBox will set up a virtual bridge when launched.

As far as this question:
    I could not figure out if I’m using Netplan or NetowrkManager
    the answer is probably both. Netplan is a network configuration service. NetworkManager is a network "renderer". They aren't the same thing but work together. The alternate to NetworkManager is systemd-networkd.

Open the file /etc/netplan/01-<whatever> and you should see something like:

Code:
    # Let NetworkManager manage all devices on this system
    network:
    version: 2
    renderer: NetworkManager
    To your question about using the GUI to create a bridged connection, yes you can do it from the GUI. Right-click on the network icon in your system tray, select "Configure Network Connections". Near the bottom kind of in the middle is a large plus sign to "Add new connection". Click on it and scroll down a bit to Virtual connections.

And welcome to the forum.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X