Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Kubuntu install software shows only free instead of partitioned space.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Schwarzer Kater for your message.
    If giving a number between 1 and 2 means repairing with MBR or GPT, I tried to repair with MBR without success.

Comment

Yes, we did see that in your former posts - so you could dare to choose 2 to try repairing the GPT…

And burn us at the stake if it fails miserably (and yourself too, if you did not backup your stuff before… ).
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Hello everybody,
        I dared to type 2 and here is what went on
        Code:
        auie@ThinkPad-L570:~$ sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda
        [sudo] Passwort für auie:  
        GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.5

EBR signature for logical partition invalid; read 0x5D44, but should be 0x
        AA55
        Error reading logical partitions! List may be truncated!
        Caution: invalid main GPT header, but valid backup; regenerating main head
        er
        from backup!

Warning: Invalid CRC on main header data; loaded backup partition table.
        Warning! Main and backup partition tables differ! Use the 'c' and 'e' opti
        ons
        on the recovery & transformation menu to examine the two tables.

Warning! Main partition table CRC mismatch! Loaded backup partition table
        instead of main partition table!

Warning! One or more CRCs don't match. You should repair the disk!
        Main header: ERROR
        Backup header: OK
        Main partition table: ERROR
        Backup partition table: OK

Partition table scan:
         MBR: MBR only
         BSD: not present
         APM: not present
         GPT: damaged

Found valid MBR and corrupt GPT. Which do you want to use? (Using the
        GPT MAY permit recovery of GPT data.)
        1 - MBR
        2 - GPT
        3 - Create blank GPT

Your answer: 2
        Disk /dev/sda: 976773168 sectors, 465.8 GiB
        Model: WDC WD5000LPLX-0
        Sector size (logical/physical): 512/4096 bytes
        Disk identifier (GUID): 1D34863A-35C3-4E00-A3F2-01AC2E77E37F
        Partition table holds up to 128 entries
        Main partition table begins at sector 2 and ends at sector 33
        First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 976773134
        Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
        Total free space is 976773101 sectors (465.8 GiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
        auie@ThinkPad-L570:~$
        ​
        You can see enclosed that I still cannot see any partition, which however exist.
        Attached Files

Comment

I just saw your post, I don't have a concrete idea yet (about the previous discussion), but ... before proceeding, and after that "fix" (by selecting "2"), we should confirm things and see what gdisk sees -- we hope gdisk will see something in the 'new' fixed GPT.

So, try this:

sudo gdisk -l /dev/sdx
          (the -l is a minus sign and then the lower case (English) letter "ell")

replace x with what you think the disk is (e.g., x=a, or x=b, etc.)
          (I didn't have time at the moment to review the thread.)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thank you Qqmike for your answer.
            Code:
            auie@ThinkPad-L570:~$ sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda
            [sudo] Passwort für auie:  
            GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.5

EBR signature for logical partition invalid; read 0x5D44, but should be 0x
            AA55
            Error reading logical partitions! List may be truncated!
            Caution: invalid main GPT header, but valid backup; regenerating main head
            er
            from backup!

Warning: Invalid CRC on main header data; loaded backup partition table.
            Warning! Main and backup partition tables differ! Use the 'c' and 'e' opti
            ons
            on the recovery & transformation menu to examine the two tables.

Warning! Main partition table CRC mismatch! Loaded backup partition table
            instead of main partition table!

Warning! One or more CRCs don't match. You should repair the disk!
            Main header: ERROR
            Backup header: OK
            Main partition table: ERROR
            Backup partition table: OK

Partition table scan:
             MBR: MBR only
             BSD: not present
             APM: not present
             GPT: damaged

Found valid MBR and corrupt GPT. Which do you want to use? (Using the
            GPT MAY permit recovery of GPT data.)
            1 - MBR
            2 - GPT
            3 - Create blank GPT

auie@ThinkPad-L570:~$

​

Comment

In my opinion it looks like there is nothing left to be sucessfully repaired for mere mortals… You tried MBR and GPT.

Backup your data, install a new GPT partition table, partition your drive, reinstall the systems (Windows first if you are using only one drive) and copy back your data. Otherwise there is the possibility that you could loose everything on the drive at a much less convenient time than "now".
              Valid Windows 7 or 10 keys can be bought for around 10-20,-€ if that is your concern.
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 16, 2023, 03:18 PM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
              install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

The only thing I have to add is this:
                In post 20, looking at that output, it seems that a (valid) GPT was never used. It seems that it's been MBR.
                If it were a GPT (at one time, anyway), there would be some mention of the Protective MBR.

But, anyway, Schwarzer Kater's reply is probably the only safe way to go: from scratch.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thank you very much Schwarzer Kater and Qqmike.

"Backup your data, install a new GPT partition table, partition your drive, reinstall the systems (Windows first if you are using only one drive) and copy back your data. Otherwise there is the possibility that you could loose everything on the drive at a much less convenient time than "now".
                  Valid Windows 7 or 10 keys can be bought for around 10-20,-€ if that is your concern.​"

I installed few systems on my computer. I wanted to reinstall the main system which seems now corrupted but it is not so easy as the computer shows no partition.
                  I can still choose with which system I want to boot. Therefore I no longer use the main system but another one which is a kind of spare wheel, and I'm still backing up my data regularly. One could write that I'm now like the most part of the computer user who don't have any "spare system"; it would be wrong as I have a second "spare system".

Either I choose when I reinstall everything or I continue using the computer as I do now and when a problem will surge, either I will have to use the second "spare system" or I will have to repare the computer immediatly.
                  Last edited by nicrnicr; Apr 17, 2023, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Sounds like a plan.

Comment

Working...
                    X