This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

… and if this doesn't work either:
    • look up the right key in the manual of the motherboard (you normally can find those manuals online, the model number is printed onto the board, mostly at the edge)
    • start the computer and enter UEFI/BIOS with the right key
    • reset the UEFI/BIOS to either "default" or "optimized default" values
    • restart the computer and enter UEFI/BIOS again
    • tweak the BIOS/UEFI carefully (best one option at a time) to your liking/needs - see manual
    • retry booting from a Kubuntu installation USB stick to reinstall (see this thread and others in the forum) - best to use the latest installation ISO: https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/r...22.04/release/

And if you did press the right key:
    • unplug the computer from the electric grid
    • simultaniously touch a big piece of metal (like a radiator) and the computer case - or use an antistatic wristband
    • carefully remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard with a tool made of plastic (the battery probably looks like a silver coin) for 5 to 10 minutes - see manual of the mainboard if you can't find the CMOS battery
    • reinstall the CMOS battery (replace it if it is old - measure it with a multimeter - or just in case) and try again
    • start the computer and enter UEFI/BIOS with the right key (it will probably be reset to "default" values now)
    • tweak the BIOS/UEFI carefully (best one option at a time) to your liking/needs - see manual
    • retry booting from a Kubuntu installation USB stick to reinstall (see this thread and others in the forum) - best to use the latest installation ISO: https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/r...22.04/release/

Computer stuff can be frustrating at times.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 24, 2023, 04:05 AM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I was using the right key. It is Delete. I followed Schwarzer suggested. I unpluged the tower and flipped the switch to the off position. Then plugged the tower back in and put the switch on the power position. Then turned it back on. I was able to reinstall the the OS. I still have to use the "nomodeset" thing. I am going to try to get it done for good. I am just happy I can enter the bios now and start it up again.

All 9f the stuff I have ever done to or with a computer cause me this much frustration. I very much appreciate all of the help everyone has given.

I am going to start at the beginning of this discussion and follow all of the steps. Hopefully it will work easily this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        The key to press might be Esc or F2.
        Just last night I was forced to relearn that it's F12 on my work Lenovo.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
        X