Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am ok with the radeon error. If it fixes it, great. If not, oh well. As long as it does not stop things from working.

The problem with Discover and the konsole is dolphin never loads the updates. I set it the fetch updates and walked away for a little over an hour and it never finished fetching. I don't know what to do.

I will try your suggestion for using Kate. I think that is what it is called as well. If I don't need gedit that is good to. I don't want to instal unneeded stuff. I already need a bunch of stuff I can't install yet.

I will keep you posted.

Comment

I can not find the file in dolphin. I have tried everything to find. I searched every file. I even looked through the hidden files. I am really having a hard time with this.

Comment

I f you have problems finding the "grub" file a simple way to open /etc/default/grub with Kate would be from Konsole:
        • open the program Konsole from your application menu (it should be under the "system" category)
        • type sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.orig and enter your password when asked to make a copy of the original, unedited "grub" file
        • type kate /etc/default/grub to open the "grub" file with Kate
        • edit as suggested by claydoh
        • save the file "grub" with Kate and enter your password when asked
        • open Konsole again and type sudo update-grub to apply the chances in the "grub" file to your drive
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 19, 2023, 06:17 AM.
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by walk5 View Post
          I can not find the file in dolphin. I have tried everything to find. I searched every file. I even looked through the hidden files. I am really having a hard time with this.
          yes, the main file system is sort of tucked away, and not as clearly labelled as it could be.
          You can get there in two ways.

One is to click on the location area at the top, and enter '/', or clear the text to get there. or type in the full path you want to go to.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230319_081310.png Views:	0 Size:	54.1 KB ID:	669228 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230319_081832.png Views:	0 Size:	126.7 KB ID:	669231

Another is to click the appropriate drive on the sidebar

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230319_081037.png Views:	0 Size:	53.2 KB ID:	669229

Then you can see the whole file system, and browse the to desired location.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230319_081625.png Views:	0 Size:	25.6 KB ID:	669230

Comment

The problem with Discover and the konsole is dolphin never loads the updates.
            Have you rebooted since getting that 'lock' error?
            Reboot, and try using sudo apt update in a terminal again, and copy any errors or messaging you see there that seems relevant.
            Discover should be giving errors, but it does access a number of different systems, not just system updates, and maybe one of those servers is being slow or something along those lines.
            or a lock file from the previous session is 'stuck' and needs removing. Errors will point to the file's location, if this is the case.

Comment

Weird things are happening today. I turned on my computer and Kubuntu started without any issue. I did not have to add the nomodeset this time. I am going to hold off on doing the adding until I have to. I am hoping it is fixed. I will know if it just keeps working over the next day or so.

The update thing is still not working. I went to the terminal and typed sudo apt update and this is what I received

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock. It is held by process 1191 (packagekitd)
              N: Be ware that removing the lock file is not a solution and my break your system.
              E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/​

I am only receiving this error. The error is pretty much the same as last time except the process number is different. Last time it was 1223. Nothing ever happens in Discover. It just keeps saying fetching updates. It gets to almost complete. Just a hair from the end of the bar but then just stays there. I left it fetching update for over an hour and nothing.

Comment

Weird things are happening today. I turned on my computer and Kubuntu started without any issue. I did not have to add the nomodeset this time. I am going to hold off on doing the adding until I have to. I am hoping it is fixed. I will know if it just keeps working over the next day or so.

The update thing is still not working. I went to the terminal and typed sudo apt update and this is what I received

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock. It is held by process 1191 (packagekitd)
                N: Be ware that removing the lock file is not a solution and my break your system.
                E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/​

I am only receiving this error. The error is pretty much the same as last time except the process number is different. Last time it was 1223. Nothing ever happens in Discover. It just keeps saying fetching updates. It gets to almost complete. Just a hair from the end of the bar but then just stays there. I left it fetching update for over an hour and nothing.
                Close Discover and reboot, or the next time you reboot, run sudo apt update again.
                (we want to make sure Discover or a related service is not running, even in the background)
                When you see the error message, note the file in the fist line.
                In your example, it is /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
                That is the specific file that will need to be deleted. It can be different, but the file in that first line in the error you will see is the one to use

You will need to use the terminal to delete the file.
                Using the example from your error, you would enter:
                sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
                Copy and paste the file path, or double check that this is correct, as this needs to be 100% exact here.

After this, you should be able to run apt, or use Discover properly.
                Discover is ok in most cases, but its progress bars and text are not overly useful, especially when there is an error or something it can't handle on its own.

Comment

I was able to get it to update. I am still going to have to delete the file any way. I want to install wine and the process is stopped because of the lock again.

I am also going to have to add the nomodeset. It is still getting stuck and I have to add it every time.

I am going to do both and let you know how it works out.

Comment

I used the sudo rm commamd and it worked and I am now able to sudo apt update every time.

I found the file to add the nomodeset to but it is locked and when I open it all I get is a bunch of jumbled symbols. I tried to add it to the grub config and it did not work. I am stuck and I am havine to add it everytime I start my computer. Should I just follow the instructions on the link you provided or is there another way? The instructions say to use the sudo command in the terminal.

Comment

I found the file to add the nomodeset to but it is locked and when I open it all I get is a bunch of jumbled symbols.
                      I will guess that you opened the wrong file, one that isn't a text file.

I am stuck and I am havine to add it everytime I start my computer. Should I just follow the instructions on the link you provided or is there another way? The instructions say to use the sudo command in the terminal.
                      Do not open kate with sudo!!
                      Doing this with a GUI application can potentially change permissions on important user level config files and other items, which would make things worse, maybe eve keep you from being able to log in to your desktop user account.
                      (kate won't let you do so directly anyway)

if you do not feel comfortable navigating with Dolphin to /etc/default/ and opening the file called 'grub' in there, you can call you can call kate to open the file in a similar fashion to my link.

Just substitute 'kate' where it shows 'sudo gedit'

So: kate /etc/default/grub
                      No sudo for you!!

edit the file, and save. It will ask for your sudo password here, and save it.

Then run the command sudo update-grub2 to update your grub with the new setting and test it out.

Comment

I did not use sudo with kate. I found the file then right clicked and open with kate. Then made the correction then went to file and save.

But I have a new issue this morning. It is going to a black page with just writing that say says my computers name then ttyi. So it looks like this

name ttyi:

I think I am going to just try all over. I am going to make a new bootable drive then try to boot and install it all over. Maybe it will fix some of the problems I am having.

I am just so frustrated I don't know what else to do.

Comment

I give up. I really don't know what to do now. My computer is stuck in a loop again. A very bad one. I get to the page that says

Ubuntu
                          Advanced options
                          something
                          something

Sorry I can not remeber the 2 bottom options.

I an can not push anything. I try to push delete to enter the bios and nothing. I can't use the arrow keys or e or c or anything. It goes back to the same options as shown above. Then it counts down and starts again. ovet and over the same thing.

What could cause this? I am trying to think of everything. OS, motherboard, hard drive? I am not sure what to do. I need this computer running.

Please help!!!

I am literally on the edge of tears.

Comment

You should press [Delete] (if this is the correct key for your model) when you power on the computer - and not as late as when you see the GRUB boot menu - to get into the UEFI/BIOS.
                            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I pressed delete as soon as I turned on the computer. I also tried it as soon as the motherboard screen pops up. Nothing works. I am not able to press any buttons. Nothing happens.

I hope I do not sound rude or irritated. I am so frustrated. I apologize up front if I do.

Comment

The key to press might be Esc or F2.
                                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                X