Kubuntu 22.04 will not install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Kubuntu 22.04 will not install

I have Windows 7 32bit installed on my desktop. I just installed it and windows won't let me do the verifying step. It is my last windows computer and I have had it with windows. My laptop is already running Kubuntu 22.04. Just finished the fresh install on that.

I have the iso on a flash drive as a bootable device. It worked great on my laptop and my husbands laptop but I can not get it to install on this desktop. It is stuck in a loop. It goes to the try or install screen. I press enter. Then it flashes something I am unable to read then goes back to the try install screen again. Then again the same thing.

I do not understand why it is doing this. Both laptops worked perfect.

I have a 32bit windows program I need and want to run with wine but I can't get the os to install.

Please help. I am about to throw this computer out the window. Going crazy trying to make this work.

Thank you in advance.

To be clear, you are trying to install Kubuntu 22.04 on a Desktop PC that has Windows 7 (32-bit) running on it? Is the Desktop PC 32-bit? Ubuntu et al stopped packaging .isos for 32-bit with 18.04. Versions after that were 64-bit. Of course, you can't install a 64-bit OS on a 32-bit PC.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Can you give us some info about the desktop? Make and model, and graphics card info, if possible.

If this is older, and 32-bit hardware, Kubuntu will not install, as it is 64-bit only.
      Now, the Windows install being 32 bit does not indicate that the computer hardware is. A 32 bit operating system can be installed on 64 bit hardware just fine. The other way around won't work.

But, assuming you are getting to the graphical try/install screen, this isn't the issue.

Your PC may need a boot parameter tweak from the grub boot menu.

Comment

It is a home build system with a built in graphics card. I can put a 64bit or 32bit system on it. A 64bit was on it before I had to change for 1 program I need to run. I had this program on a different computer but it crashed. So I am using my husbands computer. I am not sure what system info you might need. I had windows 7 64bit on it before. I also had Kubuntu 20.something on it before as well.

Claydoh--- what is a boot parameter tweak from the grub menu mean?

I am not all that new to Linux. I have been using it for about 3 or 4 years now but have not heard that before.

Thank you both for helping.

Comment

1. The cause for the failing verification step in Windows 7 could be that you might have to update Windows 7 to Service Pack 1 before this works properly.

2. Can you tell if your desktop computer has UEFI or "legacy" BIOS? Some problems with newer Linux installation ISOs have to do with "legacy" BIOS.
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Schwarzer---- I have not done any updates on the Windows 7 system. I was irritated because they would not let me activate it even though I habe a builders copy of the os. Yes the bios is legacy/UEFI. Is there a work around for that? I believe I can turn it off but I am not 100% sure.

Comment

Originally posted by walk5 View Post
              Yes the bios is legacy/UEF
              Try disabling legacy, and using UEFI only.

Claydoh--- what is a boot parameter tweak from the grub menu mean?
              This depends on the hardware, so motherboard and specific graphics info are needed.

t goes to the try or install screen.
              By this, do you mean:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230316_122706.png Views:	0 Size:	4.5 KB ID:	669142

or this:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230316_122758.png Views:	0 Size:	59.7 KB ID:	669143

If it is getting to the second one, a possible corrupted USB stick is entirely possible, even though it did work on other machines. It might be worth trying to create a new one, even with a new stick if you have one.

A common boot option to add for some situations is nomodeset, which can help with graphics compatibility for the install, as well as after, if necessary. Depending on the specific hardware, it might be needed if you are only getting to the first screen.But a bum USB stick is still a possibility here as well.

You may also need to disable secure boot in the bios if it is enabled, that can help in some situations, less so on custom built systems.

Comment

claydoh--- I am going to try your suggestions when I get home Saturday. I am away from my desk. I am getting the first try or install screen. Not the second. I will post again saturday after I try these things. Thank you.

Comment

If you only get to the first screen, perhaps this will help if you have access to a computer with Windows :

A solution that has always worked for me to make a more recent "problematic" ISO bootable for older computers with BIOS - use Rufus (https://rufus.ie/en/) in Windows to write the ISO to USB and select the option "Partition scheme = MBR", select the option "Target System = BIOS or UEFI" and under Show advanced drive properties select the option "Add fixes for old BIOSes (extra partition, …)".​

Or, like claydoh said: "Try disabling legacy BIOS, and using UEFI only."
                  Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 16, 2023, 08:07 PM. Reason: typos
                  Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                  Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                  install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

The install started. Here is what fixed it. Thanks to Claydoh and Schwarzer Kater for all your help.

I tried turning off legacy mode and that did not work. I did leave it off though. Then I used the nomodeset link that Claydoh posted and followed the part 1 instructions and it worked. The install started. I am so happy.

I also used the rufus link Schwarzer provided and downloaded Rufus. Just in case. I am holding on to that in case I ever need it. You never know.

I am going to go back in and turn the legacy back on once the install is finished. I hope that it does not mess things up. I will post if it does.

Thank you both so much for all the help. You are awesome.

Comment

I am going to go back in and turn the legacy back on once the install is finished. I hope that it does not mess things up. I will post if it does.
                      It shouldn't, as long as you don't disable UEFI, which is the standard method for booting nowdays. Your install would be using this.

As for nomodeset, hopefully you don't need to use this afterwards, to boot normally. Very often this is the case.
                      But if it doesn't boot without it, the process to make nomodeset permanent will be the the same as shown in that link, except for using Kate or kwrite.
                      You don't run those with sudo, though. You just open the file, edit, and save. You will be prompted for your password here.

Comment

I will have to make it permenant. I finished the install and then it was stuck in the start loop. I entered the nomodeset and it started. I am just happy to have the install done. I am glad I saw your mesaage first. The instructions say to run with sudo. I will follow your instructions.

Comment

I had a error show. It says

[ 26.368961] [drm:radeon_module_init [radeon]] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module!

I have neever seen this. I am able to boot up with the nomodeset but this shows up at the top of my screen.

Comment

I also am not able to use gedit to do the permenant nomodeset. It says I do not have it.

I can not use sudo apt update either. I get this

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock. It is held by process 1223 (packagekitd)
                            N: Be ware that removing the lock file is not a solution and my break your system.
                            E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

Never seen this before either. I am sorry to throw so much out at everybody. I am just major stuck. I can not do anything and nothing is working right.

Comment

I had a error show. It says

[ 26.368961] [drm:radeon_module_init [radeon]] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module!

I have neever seen this. I am able to boot up with the nomodeset but this shows up at the top of my screen.
                              Sometimes these messages 'leak' through, if you will. Many of us see these, or similar, and they may be meaningless.
                              This might get fixed with a kernel update when you update your new install, but it might not.

Updating the mesa/open source AMD drivers may help clear the messaging, but if there are no issues when using the computer, it can be ignored.

I can not use sudo apt update either. I get this

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock. It is held by process 1223 (packagekitd)
                              N: Be ware that removing the lock file is not a solution and my break your system.
                              E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
                              This is because Discover is checking for backups while you are trying to use apt - you can't run two instances of such actions at the same time, so it lock you out of the second one.
                              After Discover is finished, you can try again.

BUT...you don't need gedit at all
                              Use Kate or Kwrite, which is already installed (can't recall which one).
                              As I mentioned, you don't run this with sudo, just open the file - browse to it in Dolphin. You can edit the file, and be prompted for your password when saving.

Now, if you keep getting this error, and it sticks after a reboot, then we may need to go in and fix things - removing the lock file mentioned in the error message.
                              But you can report back if that happens, and we can point you to how to do that if necessary.

Comment

Working...
                              X