Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot boot Kubuntu anymore. Possible kernel / Nvidia problem

Good morning,

For quite some time I had to boot Kubuntu using the advanced options in the grup and then I had to select the 5.19.0-46 generic kernel because more recent kernels did not boot. It seems there is a problem with the latest kernels and my Nvidia GPU (Geforce RTX 3070). I did not take the time yet to delete all the not booting kernels because it all works with only two extra actions so why bother...

However, yesterday I ran a few updates and my screens turned black and I needed a hard reset. After that, even kernel 5.19.0-46 did not boot anymore either. At this very moment I am typing this message in the recovery mode.

More problems on this matter had been reported earlier before. The offered solution in this post did not work for me: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...kernel-updates It could be however I did something wrong.

I happened more often in the past I could not boot anymore after updates and in all cases it was a matter of updating the Nvidia drivers but now nothing seems to help anymore. Is there anyone here who knows how to solve this?

The same thing happened to me with KDE Neon a couple of days ago. I couldn't be bothered to try and fix it so did a fresh install and did all the updates then installed the Nvidia driver!
    Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
      The same thing happened to me with KDE Neon a couple of days ago. I couldn't be bothered to try and fix it so did a fresh install and did all the updates then installed the Nvidia driver!
      But that is what I don´t want since I recently did a reinstallation already. (I do agree with your name though: Beer is life )

Comment

Something similar happened to me on 18.04 after an update. I went through all sorts of shenanigans to try to fix it. I ended up just reinstalling everything from scratch and never had the problem again. Doing that took way less time and effort than all the other stuff I had done previously.

Are you using the drivers provided by Nvidia directly, or the ones that come down via the package manager? - the drivers direct from Nvidia are what I use on my T470, and they work very well for me.
        Last edited by TwoFistedJustice; Aug 02, 2023, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Well, I am afraid you and Beerislife are right. Although I do not like it al all. Thing is that I already tried to install Nvidia drivers through synaptic. Those are (as far as I understand it) the same as are available from the Nvidia site. I had to install something like MOK as well but now every time I try to boot an iso that Mokutil thingy blocks everything and I do not know how that MOK management works. (Cannot seem to deinstall it either.) The only iso I could boot was Debian KDE, don't know why that one did came through. So I decided to go for Debian because of that and because I hoped for less problems with the Nvidia card. Unfortunately also that installation got ruined because I could not seem to get the GPU installed properly. I had the problem more often that after a set of updates, mostly kernel changes, I could not boot Kubuntu anymore and the thing was fixed by changing the Nvidia driver in the recovery mode. I am afraid my knowledge lacks as well.....

Still if anyone could give me a proper solution that makes it possible for me to keep on using Kubuntu and upgrade the kernel without my Nvidia card starts nagging, I would be very happy.

Comment

I want to swap out my Nvidia GTX 1050ti 4Gb for an AMD RX 6400 4Gb but I'm 17,000 yen short of 17,780 yen!

Comment

Once again, these updates have to stop.

Comment

Here's a link to the nvidia bug...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...5/+bug/2025640

Comment

Yeah, that is exactly what happened here as well, thank you. Afterwards I could not even boot the kernel that did work before. As some sort of emergency precaution I have now Mint Cinnamon running with driver 525.125.06. That turned out to be running ok so far. I made an extra partition free to test a kde distro (kubuntu, debian, neon?). There seem to be a good chance everything will be fine using the 525 driver.

Comment

Update: I came back to Kubuntu after all after considering options like MX linux KDE, KDE neon, OpenSuse and Debian. For now it seems Nvidia driver 525 works well, let's hope it stays that way...

Comment

You would need to edit this code to fit your needs probably, but I think this could get you back on the right path. "I had a coworker on kubuntu 22.04 and after an update there would just be a blank login screen (SDDM) To fix it, we had to switch to a different TTY (control+alt+f3) and do a sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade After that and a reboot it worked fine. Also with Nvidia graphics"
                      Code:
                      sudo update-get update
                      sudo apt-get purge *nvidia*
                      sudo apt-get autoremove
                      reboot
                      sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver-535 nvidia-settings​
                      reboot

Comment

Good evening,
                        Thank you for the codes. However, I did a Kubuntu reinstall last month and there I had the new problem I sometimes got a black screen with only a pointer after booting. After some updates I haven't had that either so far. It seems everything works fine now although it is wise to keep your given procedure as a backup in case Nvidia and Kubuntu starts conflicting again...

Comment

Working...
                        X