Trying to install Kubuntu without issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to install Kubuntu without issues

Installed kubuntu on an older dell latitude e6430 but the laptop always defaults to legacy mode and gives me an invalid partition table error.
    Are there things I need to disable during an install? Found this link below and wondered if it would work?

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/e...face-uefi-bios

A 9 year old how-to?

I don't know if Kubuntu supports legacy mode for installs after 20.04. Someone else might chime in.

I do know you can install 20.04 and dist-upgrade it as you like. It will take time, but can be done.

Another option is to install Ubuntu Server Legacy Edition. https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-le...20.04/release/

without a desktop, then upgrade it as desired, then install "kubuntu-desktop." I've done this and it's quicker than doing from the desktop release because there's a lot less packages to work you way to a higher release.

As far as the partition table error, how is the drive partitioned? Are you using MBR or GPT?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      I don't know if Kubuntu supports legacy mode for installs after 20.04. Someone else might chime in.
      I know they do on virtual machines. Not the same animal, of course.
      I am digging out my slightly older (?) less old Latitude E6520, I *think* this is set to Legacy boot. instead of UEFI, for a test many ages ago. If I can find the charger, I shall check.

My BIOS screens look different from those in the link, I will take some pics of this. I don't believe mine has an option to enable/disable legacy or BIOS booting per se, but there are settings to look at, as well as BIOS boot menu key options that should help.

Comment

Definitely using 22.04 Kubuntu on Legacy.

I think your BIOS settings will be similar to mine here.
        On the Bios, I have a Boot Sequence section, but no way to enable/disable. The check marks here see to just reveal what is present, but I am unsure.

Legacy:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.8 KB ID:	672548

UEFI
        Note it is blank as I have nothing using it here, or any bootable USB drives
        Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.3 KB ID:	672551

When booting, hit F12 to bring up a one-time boot selection menu
        Note the options to boot to the internal drive - this boots me to Kubuntu
        Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.3 KB ID:	672552

Here, booting with a USB thumb drive with 22.04 on it, notice that there are 2 entries for it. The USB Storage, as well as the "ubuntu UEFI" listing. This is correct. The ISO is hybrid, it can boot to both.
        You would want to select the UEFI option to boot here, to install with UEFI
        Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.7 KB ID:	672547

Now, what may be complicating things is the boot order, if your bios is like mine. if you only have one OS installed, it *should* go down the list until it finds something it can boot,
        BUT, with UEFI you might need to mark it in the BIOS, by selection UEFI button, and making sure that you have an entry for your OS
        This my USB Stick. It is not checked, not sure if that is relevant.

At least make sure that UEFI is selected here, and Apply. This may or may not default you to UEFI (or Legacy, if chosen and saved)
        Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.6 KB ID:	672553

In any case, try using F12 to bring up the boot menu, and see if selecting a different option other than "Internal Drive" will boot Kubuntu for you, or vice-versa
        Last edited by claydoh; Jul 18, 2023, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Ok, reinstalling in UEFI mode, then attempting to boot with Legacy still selected in the "Boot List Options" section, I do get a warning when booting. Nothing about partition tables or anything, but telling me "Knave, Hark thee back to yonder BIOS settings and maketh sure that thou hast set the Boot Sequence to UEFI, forthwith!. Or Clicketh thou on thine F12 key to chooseth a boot option"

I think clicking the correct Boot List Option, and then hitting Apply BEFORE exiting and rebooting might be the key.
          I had similar issues with an ancient HP desktop, which I no longer have, so I may be confusing different experiences, though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	672555

Comment

Working...
          X