/snap taking up a lot of space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

/snap taking up a lot of space

My /snap folder in my root directory is taking up about 7GB of space, is there a simple way I can clean this up? I'm not sure I even need anything in there?

Many thanks in advance,

Ross.

Are you using any snaps? Firefox or Chromium?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Are you using any snaps? Firefox or Chromium?
      Thanks for your reply. My main browser is Brave, and it does tell me about snaps back up etc but I don't "use" snaps other than just using Brave. I do have Firefox installed and use it occasionally, but not too often.

Thanks once again.

Comment

What does snap list in Konsole say to be sure of the Snaps that are installed?
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

After deleting all the snaps on my systems, as I stopped using them, /snap (or /snapd) showed 5 GB. For an OS root using about 13 GB, after cleaning a bit, I thought that a bit much, after it got replicated across my backups.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
            What does snap list in Konsole say to be sure of the Snaps that are installed?
            Thanks, I'll try this later tonight when I'm back home and get back to you.

Comment

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying, yesterday was a manic day. Here's is the result of "snap list"

Code:
              Name               Version          Rev    Tracking         Publisher   Notes
              bare               1.0              5      latest/stable    canonical✓  base
              brave              1.49.132         220    latest/stable    brave       -
              core18             20230320         2721   latest/stable    canonical✓  base
              core20             20230308         1852   latest/stable    canonical✓  base
              core22             20230316         583    latest/stable    canonical✓  base
              firefox            111.0.1-2        2487   latest/stable/…  mozilla✓    -
              gnome-3-38-2004    0+git.6f39565    119    latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
              gnome-42-2204      0+git.09673a5    65     latest/stable    canonical✓  -
              gtk-common-themes  0.1-81-g442e511  1535   latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
              snapd              2.58.3           18596  latest/stable    canonical✓  snapd

​

Comment

So now we can see that you (only) have two programs installed as Snaps: Firefox and Brave.

Especially for Brave (as your main browser) I would prefer to install it like recommended on their own website:
                https://brave.com/linux/#release-channel-installation
                "You can find Brave in the Snapcraft Store, but while it is maintained by Brave Software, it is not yet working as well as our official packages.
                We currently recommend that users who are able to use our official package repositories do so instead of using the Snap.
                "
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 31, 2023, 02:59 AM.

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Brilliant, thanks. I have just installed Brave via the command line as per the link you kindly posted. How do I remove the "snap" version and clear the snap directory to free up some space?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by CanyonRoss View Post
                    Hi, sorry for the delay in replying, yesterday was a manic day. Here's is the result of "snap list"

Code:
                    Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
                    bare 1.0 5 latest/stable canonical✓ base
                    brave 1.49.132 220 latest/stable brave -
                    core18 20230320 2721 latest/stable canonical✓ base
                    core20 20230308 1852 latest/stable canonical✓ base
                    core22 20230316 583 latest/stable canonical✓ base
                    firefox 111.0.1-2 2487 latest/stable/… mozilla✓ -
                    gnome-3-38-2004 0+git.6f39565 119 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
                    gnome-42-2204 0+git.09673a5 65 latest/stable canonical✓ -
                    gtk-common-themes 0.1-81-g442e511 1535 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
                    snapd 2.58.3 18596 latest/stable canonical✓ snapd

​
                    As SK said above, if you remove Brave you would only need 'core 20' and 'gnome-3-38' (FF depends on them). Still, I do not think Brave as a snap depends on both core 18 and 22 plus gnome 42; you probably installed and removed something else along the way.

Compare it to mine:

ars@triton:~$ snap list
                    Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
                    bare 1.0 5 latest/stable canonical base
                    core20 20230308 1852 latest/stable canonical base
                    firefox 111.0.1-2 2487 latest/stable mozilla -
                    gnome-3-38-2004 0+git.6f39565 119 latest/stable canonical -
                    gtk-common-themes 0.1-81-g442e511 1535 latest/stable canonical -
                    snapd 2.58.3 18596 latest/stable canonical snapd
                    Last edited by arsivci; Mar 31, 2023, 04:54 AM.

Comment

How do I get rid of the unnecessary stuff?

I don't use Gnome either, I use KDE.

Thanks once again.

Comment

I used the command
                        Code:
                        sudo snap remove brave
                        which has removed it. However, obviously there is still some unnecessary stuff in that directory. I'm now left with this:

Code:
                        Name               Version          Rev    Tracking         Publisher   Notes
                        bare               1.0              5      latest/stable    canonical✓  base
                        core18             20230320         2721   latest/stable    canonical✓  base
                        core20             20230308         1852   latest/stable    canonical✓  base
                        core22             20230316         583    latest/stable    canonical✓  base
                        firefox            111.0.1-2        2487   latest/stable/…  mozilla✓    -
                        gnome-3-38-2004    0+git.6f39565    119    latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
                        gnome-42-2204      0+git.09673a5    65     latest/stable    canonical✓  -
                        gtk-common-themes  0.1-81-g442e511  1535   latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
                        snapd              2.58.3           18596  latest/stable    canonical✓  snapd

​
                        Is there anything else I can do? Why are there multiple "core" names? Should I install another Firefox like I have with Brave? If so - how? I use Firefox because it has a plugin that doesn't work with Brave, but I don't use it often.

Thanks.

Comment

You could install a Firefox binary instead of the Firefox Snap too I you would prefer to do so:
                          https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...firefox-binary

… and afterwards either remove the Snap stuff (and keep the snapd functionality for the future) or purge and block it entirely:
                          https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...et-rid-of-snap
                          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 31, 2023, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Well I'm going to post it before SK dies...

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...et-rid-of-snap

Please Read Me

Comment

DANG IT! You beat me...AGAIN!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X