X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muon Package Manager - admin password error

Hello

Did upgrade from 20.04 LTS.

When though the Muon Package Manager, I got to edit software sources. It says basically wrong admin password. I have not changed a thing. I have attached a screenshot.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

See https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...ackage-manager
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks

Comment

You can always start Muon from the command line as an administrator. Worked for me, but may have unknown security issues.

Comment

You get a similar thing when I use Grub Customizer
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

What if you just run sudo passwd?
            Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
            Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Originally posted by bradleypariah View Post
              What if you just run sudo passwd?
              Yep that works. Well hopefully this error for the Package Manager will be sorted soon

Comment

Yeah, it happens for a few applications. Trying to launch software-properties form either Muon or Discover causes this. "Fix" is to either launch software-properties-qt from a terminal or switch to Synaptic.
                This also happens with other applications. Ksystemlog, grub-customizer, unetbootin are some of the programs that I have noticed are affected as well. Launching them from a terminal does not produce this error. Others like kde partition manager and gsmartcontrol work fine.
                Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores,) Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Memory: 32768MB
                Disk: 2000GB ST2000DM001-9YN1 + 1000GB ST31000340AS, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411
                Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7850, Audio: C-Media CMI8788, Monitor: S220HQL

Comment

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=452532
                  On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

This could possibly be an issue with the upgrade itself. When installing KDE in Gentoo, the user has to manually make it so that root permission dialogs such as grub-customizer and package managers will work correctly. This is set up automatically in Kubuntu. But I suggest checking this to make sure that it does not solve your problem.

Per the Gentoo KDE wiki:

Non-root user authentication for dialogs
                    Some KDE dialogs such as printers, adding wireless networks and adding users require administrator authentication. This is handled through polkit and operates independently from sudo. By default in Gentoo, the root account is the only administrator, and so even if a user account can run root commands through sudo, authentication in these KDE dialogs will fail.

Adding wireless networks using networkmanager is allowed by a polkit rule which is part of the Gentoo package and already allows access for every user in the group plugdev. For other dialogs you need to configure the behavior manually: If you would like all users of the group wheel to be administrators, create a copy of /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/50-default.rules starting with a number lower than 50, and edit the line return ["unix-user:0"] to the following:

FILE: /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/49-wheel.rules

polkit.addAdminRule(function(action, subject) {
                    return ["unix-group:wheel"];

});

That being said, I don't think Kubuntu uses a wheel group. The equivalent is sudo and admin I believe.
                    There are two files in Kubuntu that provide a similar function:

/etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/50-localauthority.conf

and

/etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-ubuntu-admin.conf

I would just first verify that you have both of these files:

ls -al /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/

which should return something like this:
                    total 16
                    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 25 03:34 .
                    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Mar 25 03:33 ..
                    -rw-r--r-- 2 root root 267 Feb 26 06:11 50-localauthority.conf
                    -rw-r--r-- 2 root root 65 Feb 26 06:11 51-ubuntu-admin.conf

Secondly, I would verify that 50-localauthority.conf contains only this:

[Configuration]
                    AdminIdentities=unix-user:0

Then, confirm 51-ubuntu-admin.conf says only this:

[Configuration]
                    AdminIdentities=unix-group:sudo;unix-group:admin

I would also verify that the groups sudo and admin actually exist on the system:

groups

which should return a list of all groups on the system.

And lastly, I would make sure the affected user is indeed in the admin and sudo groups:

id username

or

groups username

where username is replaced by the login name of the user affected
                    This should return a list of groups that the user belongs to. If not in the sudo or admin group they can be added with:

sudo usermod -a -G sudo,admin username

where username is replaced by the actual login name of the user. Changes will not take effect until the user has logged out and logged back in again.

This may or may not be an issue for you but it would not hurt to check.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Snowhog; May 04, 2022, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X