Password issue with Muon Package Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Password issue with Muon Package Manager

Haven't seen this before that I remember.

Muon Package Manager launches just fine. However, clicking on Settings > Configure Software Sources I'm prompted for my password (normal behavior). The dialog window is titled "Run as root -- KDE su".
    The Command is: /usr/bin/software-properties-kde --attach 4194310 --dont-update

I enter my password (and it IS the correct password) and click on OK and am told:
    Permission denied.
    Possibly incorrect password, please try again.
    On some systems, you need to be in a special group (often: wheel) to use this program.
    Doesn't matter how many times I try, I'm returned to this dialog.

As stated, I know the password is correct (and I've verified that CAPS LOCK isn't on). I can open Konsole and sudo -i and enter the same password and that works just fine.

Ideas? Suggestions?

As an aside, Muon Package Manager works correctly in my KDE neon User Edition installation.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 14, 2022, 12:25 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Maybe
    sudo software-properties-kde
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Actually, it has been software-properties-qt for while now. It is shared with Lubuntu.
      And it seems they never fixed muon's button , linking it to the correct utility.

I don't think this issue is specific to Jammy, and I don't see any Launchpad bug reports on this

Ok found one from 1.5 years ago:
      https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=425073

You can access the tool via Discover, or make a symlink for software-properties-kde to software-properties-qt

Muon is essentially dead. It hasn't seen a new version in Ubuntu since 18.04, or earlier.
      Last edited by claydoh; Apr 14, 2022, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        You can access the tool via Discover, or make a symlink for software-properties-kde to software-properties-qt
        That’s already been done. It doesn’t resolve this issue.

Comment

Ahh I see, after loading and booting Jammy. A different type of error.

This is probably worth a bug report, as this is different from past problems. I dunno why they can't just fix the code for the button to run the current tool as opposed to it still looking for the old one, and using what seems like a 'hacky' fix (the symlink)

I don't think it is with Muon itself, as this is quite literally the exact same version as it is in 20.04. So it has to be in software-properties-qt

Yup:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1965439

So a workaround that seems to work: xterm kubuntu-driver-manager
          Trying this with software-properties-qt doesn't work, oddly enough.
          But all that kubuntu-driver-manager is, is a short script that runs sudo software-properties-qt --open-tab=4

soooo.... running software-properties-qt with sudo in any terminal will work??

I am sure the correct pkexec string would work as well, probably similar or identical to how to run Dolphin as root.

Comment

claydoh Thanks! Appreciate the research and citing of the bug report, and the temporary 'solution' to get software-properties-qt to run. I can live with that temporary solution by creating an alias.
            Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 15, 2022, 07:06 AM.

Comment

This has been an issue - https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...634#post660634

Hopefully it gets fixed soon - so we don't have to hope the work arounds continue to allow access

Comment

Originally posted by MeMyself View Post
                This has been an issue - https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...634#post660634

Hopefully it gets fixed soon - so we don't have to hope the work arounds continue to allow access

Go to the bug report and add yourself to the list by clicking the "This bug affects 1 person". Does this bug affect you?" button
                This at least 'bumps' the bug, though I know it is now a known issue and marked with High/Critical importance.
                This looks to be an issue that Ubuntu devs have to fix, as opposed to Kubuntu/Lubuntu, depending on who has familiarity with the utility's code.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  Maybe
                  sudo software-properties-kde
                  that works to get to software sources. But it should be fixed in muon.
                  I get around it by installing synaptic and it works fine.
                  Last edited by kc1di; Apr 23, 2022, 04:13 AM.
                  Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

In my case, not only I have this problem with Muon, also I have this same problem with Discover-Preferences-Software Soruces and KSystemLog.

Comment

Originally posted by wonder View Post
                      In my case, not only I have this problem with Muon, also I have this same problem with Discover-Preferences-Software Soruces and KSystemLog.
                      Yes, "Discover/Software sources" does not accept my password either.

Comment

I have this exact problem with other programs that launch a root window as well. Grub Customizer, ksystemlog, unetbootin are the ones where I have encountered this. Some programs work fine however, like kde partition manager and gsmartcontrol. I hope this gets fixed. Upgraded from Kubuntu 21.10.
                        Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores,) Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Memory: 32768MB
                        Disk: 2000GB ST2000DM001-9YN1 + 1000GB ST31000340AS, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411
                        Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7850, Audio: C-Media CMI8788, Monitor: S220HQL

Comment

Can confirm this problem still exists with Muon on my laptop freshly upgraded to 22.04, with all current updates.

Comment

Yep still here also. Don't know why they can't seem to fix it.
                            I will continue to install and use synaptic as it works fine.
                            Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

I guess this only shows up on systems that do an upgrade instead of a fresh install? Seems a bit silly that such a bug managed to pass beta, since it's not just happening on some random software. I also did an in-place upgrade to 22.04, so maybe they just didn't test that. Either way, I have grown to expect these little "quirks" with each Kubuntu release. Eventually they get fixed.
                              Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores,) Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Memory: 32768MB
                              Disk: 2000GB ST2000DM001-9YN1 + 1000GB ST31000340AS, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411
                              Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7850, Audio: C-Media CMI8788, Monitor: S220HQL

Comment

Working...
                              X