X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    I THINK THIS DID IT!!!! After reading a bit, I found this on that page:

This circa-2014 driver doesn't operate correctly as we see in your various pastes. Let's remove it and try a better driver:

sudo dkms remove rtl8812au/4.3.8.12175.20140902+dfsg --all
    git clone https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au.git
    cd rtl8812au
    sudo make dkms_install
    sudo modprobe 88XXau

Your wireless should now be working.

HOLY CRAP!! I didn't do the first line, as I wanted to keep everything I've done (just in case). I did everything after (no reboot), and now wireless access points are showing in the Networks systray app. I connected to my local WAP and everything seems fine. I'm now going to disconnect the wired connection and test it out. If that works, I'll reboot and check. If that works, I'll post here in just a minute. Wow. Cool.

Comment

Yes, it works!! I unplugged the ethernet cable and rebooted, and now I have a wireless network iconin the tray instead of the wired icon. It immediately connected to the WAP, and I disconnected the other NetGear usb dongle. Everything working great!

Thanks to everyone who made an attempt at helping, you all got me a long way. Even if your instructions didn't work for me personally, I learned a lot about commands in linux. Thank you all.

And mostly, thanks go to oshunluvr. Your page gave me the instructions I needed. I've bookmarked that page, as well as saving a local copy for future use. Thanks again!

Comment

Congratulations on getting to a satisfactory solution.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok I don't see how to mark this post SOLVED, but it definitely is. Moved the computer back to the old room, 1 usb adapter, no wires, works great. Thanks again everyone, and please mark this SOLVED. Thanks.

Comment

Return to first post and click Edit. Select [SOLVED] from the drop down menu to the left of the Title.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Return to first post and click Edit. Select [SOLVED] from the drop down menu to the left of the Title.
              There it is. Also added my final note into the first for clarity. Thanks and done.

Comment

Great! Also thanks for posting all your work. Always good to have documentation for the next soul looking for the solution.

Please Read Me

Comment

Everything you did, down to your final solution, strengthened your knowledge of Linux and make you independent of any gurus. As you've found out, 99.99% of the time someone else on the Internet has solved the problem or left clues that led to a solution. That's why DDG or Startpage is your friend.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X