No announcement yet.

Just upgraded to Kubuntu 21.10 from Win10, need help settipng up wifi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Just upgraded to Kubuntu 21.10 from Win10, need help settipng up wifi

Hi, and thanks for being available to help. First off, I'm upgrading from Windows 10 64x, and wifi worked fine there. I've been to the Kubuntu Common Tasks page, which first tells you to go to K-Menu - System Settings - Network Settings. I have a System Settings icon on the taskbar, but only System on the menu, and no System Settings under there. When I go to to the System Settings icon on the taskbar, there is a section for Network and it does have a Settings subfolder, but there is no hardware info there. There is a Connections subfolder, but it only lists my wired connection. So System Settings is of no help, not with this info.

If I google "kubuntu AND wifi" (without quotes) I get KDE Userbase Wiki, where I can then navigate to Networking - Wireless. This tells me to go to System Settings - Driver Manager. That tells me that I can use a third party driver and to reboot after installation to load the driver. I did that, but still no wifi. The paragraph ends with, for more troubleshooting, see Wireless Troubleshooting. That tells me to start by running nm-tool too see if it's connected. There is no nm-tool in my build. When I try to run it, I get:

unknowable@HP-Compaq-Elite-8300-SFF:~$ nm-tool
    Command 'nm-tool' not found, did you mean:
    command 'dm-tool' from deb lightdm (1.30.0-0ubuntu4)
    Try: sudo apt install <deb name>
    unknowable@HP-Compaq-Elite-8300-SFF:~$ sudo apt install nm-tool
    [sudo] password for unknowable:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package nm-tool
    unknowable@HP-Compaq-Elite-8300-SFF:~$

No known package. Ok, no big, just continue. That takes me down to Troubleshooting Steps. First step, check to make sure that it's working and recognized. Go to Device Recognition and Operation. That tells me to run "lshw -C network" (without the quotes). That returns the wired ethernet connection I'm using, but no wifi. If no wireless device is listed, the next step, since it's USB, is to identify the device. According to the instructions:

. USB Devices

Like PCI devices, USB devices are identified by their USB ID, a unique number assigned to each device type.
    • For USB devices, use lsusb.
    And that's all it says. When I run lsusb, it does show both adapters (I only need one), like this:

unknowable@HP-Compaq-Elite-8300-SFF:~$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0846:9052 NetGear, Inc. A6100 AC600 DB Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8811AU]
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 058f:6387 Alcor Micro Corp. Flash Drive
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0846:9011 NetGear, Inc. WNDA3100v2 802.11abgn [Broadcom BCM4323]
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 004: ID 413c:301a Dell Computer Corp. Dell MS116 Optical Mouse
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 413c:2113 Dell Computer Corp. KB216 Wired Keyboard
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 152d:2338 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JM20337 Hi-Speed USB to SATA & PATA
    Combo Bridge
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

So I can see the device I want to use, NetGear A6100, and I see it's memory address or whatever, but lshw tells me it's not using a driver.

All the information I've found is outdated or incomplete. What do I need to do to get my wifi working, and how do I make sure that it will continue working on reboot?

_______EDIT____________________________________

Whoops, forgot to add the output from lshw. Here's the relevant output from an lshw command (no parameters):

Hm, it's not showing the pic right. Here's the URL:
    https://imgur.com/a/OlbyMGv

_____END EDIT___________________________________

Thanks again for any help to a linux noob. I really want to switch away from windoze, but it's not easy sometimes.

______SECOND_EDIT______________________________

Yes, it works!! I unplugged the ethernet cable and rebooted, and now I have a wireless network iconin the tray instead of the wired icon. It immediately connected to the WAP, and I disconnected the other NetGear usb dongle. Everything working great!

Thanks to everyone who made an attempt at helping, you all got me a long way. Even if your instructions didn't work for me personally, I learned a lot about commands in linux. Thank you all.

And mostly, thanks go to oshunluvr. Your page gave me the instructions I needed. I've bookmarked that page, as well as saving a local copy for future use. Thanks again!

_____END EDIT___________________________________
    Last edited by unknowable; Nov 02, 2021, 08:14 PM.

Wifi is often a challenge. Your wifi adapter Broadcom chipset is rather old (2014 from what I can tell) and seems may have never been directly supported using Linux : https://linux-hardware.org/?id=usb:0846-9011

There is or was a "wrap around" solution back in those days called "ndiswrapper" which effectly installed the Windows drivers : https://askubuntu.com/questions/5680.../568118#568118

Unfortunately, the manufacturers of those devices did not see a need to support Linux. You may never get it working.

Please Read Me

Comment

I had this problem some years ago and the solution involved the first or second package mentioned below. I'm sorry I can't remember more!

b43-fwcutter/focal 1:019-4 amd64
      utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware

firmware-b43-installer/focal 1:019-4 all
      firmware installer for the b43 driver

firmware-b43legacy-installer/focal 1:019-4 all
      firmware installer for the b43legacy driver
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I see two adapters:

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0846:9052 NetGear, Inc. A6100 AC600 DB Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8811AU]

This one might take some work, there are multiple possible drivers, but they do need to be compiled

https://github.com/morrownr/8821cu
        https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0846:9011 NetGear, Inc. WNDA3100v2 802.11abgn [Broadcom BCM4323]
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/bcm43xx

Comment

Good eye, Claydoh!

If push comes to shove the OP can get a Linux compatible USB wifi adaptor from Amazon. The price ranges from $7 up. Here is a good one.

Because of a lightening incident about 10 years ago I had to use one. Worked great.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Good catch clay:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1243...worked-fine-in

Please Read Me

Comment

I'll assume this is a USB dongle as opposed to an internal card, but at least we might get one of them working
              Should, rather

Comment

Wow, thanks everyone for the help! I was waiting for an email on a response and never got one. I'll try these solutions and post back. Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  Wifi is often a challenge. Your wifi adapter Broadcom chipset is rather old (2014 from what I can tell) and seems may have never been directly supported using Linux : https://linux-hardware.org/?id=usb:0846-9011

There is or was a "wrap around" solution back in those days called "ndiswrapper" which effectly installed the Windows drivers : https://askubuntu.com/questions/5680.../568118#568118

Unfortunately, the manufacturers of those devices did not see a need to support Linux. You may never get it working.
                  Wrap around I've heard of, but haven't gotten working yet. The URL you pointed to tells me to update, then run this command:

sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

That returns:
                  E: Unable to locate package ndiswrapper-common
                  E: Unable to locate package ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
                  E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'ndiswrapper-utils-1.9'
                  E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'ndiswrapper-utils-1.9'

I tried searching Synaptic for ndiswrapper but got no results. So your instructions need to be updated to be useful to me. Thanks for trying anyway.

Comment

Here is a link for installing a driver for your rtl chip set. In fact, several possible solutions are offered there: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1056291/driver-rtl8811au-for-usb-wifi
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      I see two adapters:

This one might take some work, there are multiple possible drivers, but they do need to be compiled

https://github.com/morrownr/8821cu

I'm trying that first one first. Eventually that one tells me to run an installation script on a downloaded driver:

sudo ./install-driver.sh [NoPrompt]

I tried it like that and it gave me an error on NoPrompt, so I tried it without the NoPrompt (sudo ./install-driver.sh) and it seemed to install. Then you reboot. First thing I noticed after rebooting is that my terminal icon is gone from the panel, and also from Latte, my dock. I found it under All Applications, and it runs fine.

Next it says:

"A file called 8821cu.conf will be installed in /etc/modeprobe.d by default.

There is an 8821cu.conf but there are no usable options there, only options to turn on logging or the LED light. It then tells me:

This file will be read and applied to the driver on each system boot.

To edit the driver options file, run the edit-options.sh script.

$ sudo ./edit-options.sh

That doesn't work, looks like a typo in the command line. It gives me this:

unknowable@HP-Compaq-Elite-8300-SFF:/etc/modprobe.d$ sudo ./edit-options.sh
                      sudo: ./edit-options.sh: command not found
                      unknowable@HP-Compaq-Elite-8300-SFF:/etc/modprobe.d$

So I tried it with a space, but that didn't get me anywhere. The other instructions only telk about Removal of the driver. Full stop, no further use. I'll try the other two suggestions you listed and get back.

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                        I had this problem some years ago and the solution involved the first or second package mentioned below. I'm sorry I can't remember more!

Ok, I was unclear that those are just packages to be installed. I checked the first one with google, that's where I got those instructions. I used Synaptic to install them all 3, and am about to reboot. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post

Alright, Synaptic tells me all 3 are installed. I rebooted, no obvious changes. Nothing new in the tray, and lshw gives me nothing new under network:

unknowable@HP-Compaq-Elite-8300-SFF:~$ sudo lshw -C network
                          [sudo] password for unknowable:
                          *-network
                          description: Ethernet interface
                          product: 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (Lewisville)
                          vendor: Intel Corporation
                          physical id: 19
                          bus info: pci@0000:00:19.0
                          logical name: eno1
                          version: 04
                          serial: b4:b5:2f:d4:06:fc
                          size: 1Gbit/s
                          capacity: 1Gbit/s
                          width: 32 bits
                          clock: 33MHz
                          capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
                          configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e1000e driverversion=5.13.0-21-generic duplex=full firmware=0
                          .13-4 ip=192.168.1.137 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1Gbit/s
                          resources: irq:27 memory:f7c00000-f7c1ffff memory:f7c39000-f7c39fff ioport:f080(size=32)

And lshw still gives me the same info, relevant part cropped:

*-usb:0 UNCLAIMED
                          description: Generic USB device
                          product: Remote Download Wireless Adapter
                          vendor: Broadcom
                          physical id: 2
                          bus info: usb@1:1.2
                          version: 0.01
                          serial: 0
                          capabilities: usb-2.00
                          configuration: maxpower=200mA speed=480Mbit/s
                          *-usb:1
                          description: Mass storage device
                          product: Mass Storage
                          vendor: Generic
                          physical id: 3
                          bus info: usb@1:1.3
                          version: 1.01
                          serial: 5F01489C
                          capabilities: usb-2.00 scsi
                          configuration: driver=usb-storage maxpower=200mA speed=480Mbit/s
                          *-usb:2 UNCLAIMED
                          description: Generic USB device
                          product: 802.11ac WLAN Adapter
                          vendor: Realtek
                          physical id: 4
                          bus info: usb@1:1.4
                          version: 2.00
                          serial: 00e04c000001
                          capabilities: usb-2.10
                          configuration: maxpower=500mA speed=480Mbit/s

The packages are there, but I don't know what to do with them. On to the next.

Comment

I see two adapters:

(DONE)
                            https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au

Ok, that one tells me to install dkms (done), then install the driver:

Installation of Driver
                            In order to install the driver open a terminal in the directory with the source code and execute the following command:

$ sudo make dkms_install

Open a terminal with the source code? How do I get the source code? Tried installing anyway, got this:

unknowable@HP-Compaq-Elite-8300-SFF:~$ sudo make dkms_install
                            make: *** No rule to make target 'dkms_install'. Stop.

Ok, that's no help. I need step by step instructions, I'm a windoze user. Sorry, but thanks for trying anyway.

Comment

I see two adapters:

(DONE)
                              https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/bcm43xx
                              Ok, this one tells me to learn which chipset I'm using with the command usb-devices. That gives me the following:

T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 3 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
                              D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
                              P: Vendor=0846 ProdID=9011 Rev=00.01
                              S: Manufacturer=Broadcom
                              S: Product=Remote Download Wireless Adapter
                              S: SerialNumber=0
                              C: #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=200mA
                              I: If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=02 Prot=ff Driver=(none)

(and)

T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=03 Cnt=03 Dev#= 5 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
                              D: Ver= 2.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
                              P: Vendor=0846 ProdID=9052 Rev=02.00
                              S: Manufacturer=Realtek
                              S: Product=802.11ac WLAN Adapter
                              S: SerialNumber=00e04c000001
                              C: #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=500mA
                              I: If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 6 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)

I don't see how to tell which chipset I'm using from that, but Ok. Next are a list of drivers based on Vendor ID and Device ID. The only info I have is Vendor, and both tell me 0846. That means nothing on the page you gave me. I have no idea which driver to install.

Comment

Working...
                              X