This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh4wi View Post
    I created a DVD of Sparky Linux on the same equipment which was used to create the Kubuntu 21.04 DVD.
    The Sparky DVD boots and activate the Live installer ok...and installs ok.
    Brasero could not verify the Sparky DVD either, as there was no Checksum file created.
    So it looks like the K-21.04 DVD creation is a bust.
    Strange since the K20.04 DVD works.
    Did you report the problem to their bugzilla?
    I think the rest of us have to upvote it so that it gets noticed.

Comment

Hi gh4wi,

I have encountered the same problem, with similar errors in attempting to install K-21-04 from DVD.
      I had also created 3 DVDs from 3 downloads, 2 on Linux and 1 on Windows.

In addition, I also created a DVD of Ubuntu 21-04 - this worked fine, both live and for installing.
      Perhaps someone might check any differences between the two, and know what to do ? (beyond my competence, I fear !)

I also tried to burn the K-21-04 image onto 2 USBs, but hey both failed to install the OS, and also became inaccessible.
      ( First attempt to do this, so I?m probably not doing it correctly, as others seem to get it to work )

I am persisting, as an old problem with Mesa has been corrected in this issue - works fine now in Ubuntu 21-04, one step forward, 2 back ;-)
      Opening Kate in Ubuntu gives a peculiar window text - this was a bit of a surprise as K is Ubuntu underneath and I expected the join to be seamless (?), so installing Kubuntu software into Ubuntu (which I had considered) probably fails :-/

Hope the Ubuntu helps, Regards, Ed

Update - K-21-04 install succeeded (eventually) using USB image, Happy now :-) Regards, Ed
      Last edited by Ed G8BQR; Jun 28, 2021, 06:04 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

So just a couple of questions. Did you verify the ISO images before burning to DVD/USB? What app did you use to burn the ISO to DVD/USB?
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
          So just a couple of questions. Did you verify the ISO images before burning to DVD/USB? What app did you use to burn the ISO to DVD/USB?
          Hi jglen490,
          If you meant me, thanks for the reply :-) I compared the 3 images with each other (Kcompare (I think) in Dolphin) on the grounds that if there was about 1 in 10 chance of an error then the chance of all 3 having an error was 1 in 1,000 (good enough for me), and the Ubuntu image was fine with one download.
          Image burning for DVDs - K3b (Linux) + Windows Disc Image Burner (default in Windows),
          and for USBs - Startup Disc Creator (Linux) and the default Windows programme - one 4Gb and one 8Gb

I'm now Duck-Ducking to find out how to recover the USB drives :-)
          Regards, Ed

Comment

By "verify", that usually means running some program to make sure the checksum for the downloaded image is what it should be. If you downloaded the image(s) from Kubuntu, then go back to the download site and click on the link that includes check-sum in the title. It will show the check-sum value and give you instructions on how to verify the downloaded image.
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I used GtkHash (installed on a Kubuntu 20.10). It's missing feature, but it calculates the sha256 to
              e705e84ed8fa820f1b7f4d286d24e0eb97561a5b2d47421bf7 ea0381103788b7

Comment

Hi jglen490 & vanadiumboy,
                I have checked the sha256 using GtkHash = same as site. Incidentally GtkHash had to be installed (from the Muon package manager) in my case, should anyone else need to find it, handy programme :-)

I have tried Kcompare on extracted Ubuntu and Kubuntu 21-04 iso, but Kcompare doesn't like the directory complexity, and there are too many differences - I am completely at sea...
                As the USB iso seems to work for others - this seems my own way forward, but I'd like to see the DVD issue fixed, especially as the Ubuntu DVD works - tidy minded :-)

Incidentally, is it possible to create an iso file from the DVD and check if it is the same as the downloaded iso - for an "end-to-end" verification ?
                Regards, Ed

Comment

I have not posted the DVD problems to any other website.
                  Problem #1 = Kubuntu 21.04 DVD is not able to run Live install, but the iso can be used to install from USB Thumb drive.
                  Issue is NOT the DVD hardware, as other distros can be created and used on the same hardware.

Problem #2 = Brasero can NOT verify DVD's .

If you know how to report these problems on a web site where they can be addressed, then please do so.

Comment

While it seems that DVD install can work, USB thumb drive mostly works for most people.

The CLI program sha256sum, and manually comparing the checksum with the "official" checksum, always works.

There are burners that work in Windows and in Linux, such as Etcher.

Comment

Increasingly, ISO's burned onto USB sticks, when booted, check their own files before moving on to the the grub menu or Live desktop.
                      I prefer mksub to burn ISO's to thumb drives. A couple days ago I burned the latest KDE Neon to a 2GB USB stick and then booted into it. It ran through the file check list and all passed. I had also downloaded KDE Neon's publickey.gpg, installed it (gpg --import publickey.gpg), and then used Dolphin to check the 256sum against the downloaded sig file.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by gh4wi View Post
                        If you know how to report these problems on a web site where they can be addressed, then please do so.

I made an account on

launchpad
                        and added my comment on

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1930880

I recommend that you do the same.

Comment

Working...
                        X