Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After I removed Discover, snapd and chromium, and combined @home into @ so that I have to create only one snapshot archive per day, my Kubuntu 20.04.x is GOLDEN!
    Lightening fast starting up and shutting down.

Looking forward to Kubuntu 23.04.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Installed Kubuntu 21.04 from usb stick...ok.
      Installed Brasero using Muon Package Manager.
      Downloaded Kubuntu 21.04 on same PC.
      Used Brasero to burn DVD of Kubuntu 21.04 desktop amd64.iso
      Tried booting DVD and got same problem as was reported in original post.

Failed to start Ubuntu Live CD Installer...submit Kernel crash signatures.

Then after awhile the PC hangs.
      Strange how one can install Kubuntu from a Thumb drive, but not from a DVD... needs work.
      Last edited by gh4wi; May 14, 2021, 09:16 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Well, yes, optical media has always been finicky, DVDs more so than CDs in my experience. Add in the age, condition, and quality of the laser in the burner, and the inconsistency of the burnable media, it has always been a crap shoot.
        Sure, things could be better, but often fixing it is as much or more about the devices than the images. Frankly, and unfortunately, with few people using them, unless more of them provide test results in the QA trackers, it probably won't improve if the issue is truly the image itself, and not something else.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Well, yes, optical media has always been finicky, DVDs more so than CDs in my experience. Add in the age, condition, and quality of the laser in the burner, and the inconsistency of the burnable media, it has always been a crap shoot.
          Sure, things could be better, but often fixing it is as much or more about the devices than the images. Frankly, and unfortunately, with few people using them, unless more of them provide test results in the QA trackers, it probably won't improve if the issue is truly the image itself, and not something else.
          No, it isn't a DVD problem. I have a bunch of DVD-RW discs. A few of them have various Linux distros. I test various distros.
          There is a problem with the Kubuntu 21.04 ISO.
          I don't plan on buying 10 USB sticks. Other distro ISO and pervious Kubuntu ISO work fine from a DVD-RW install.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
            21.04 installed just fine on a Lenovo B50-30 but when I tried it on a mid 2010 Mac Mini it installed but would only show a white screen on reboot. 20.04.2 works fine so I'll stick with that.
            Well, did you install from a DVD or a USB stick? This thread is about having problems when installing from a DVD and for some reason, people are taking the thread off topic.

Comment

I don't plan on buying 10 USB sticks.
              10 of them? They are re-writeable, and if big enough, there are utilities to have a multi-iso boot capability. Only need one. Maybe 2 I keep one around as a recovery disk. Actually has a full OS install on it, not a live session, so it is not an actual install disk.

I agree that you should be able to use DVD media, just don't know the fix for you, digging up instances of problems with this type of media does not clarify much, as far as I have been able to tell from research.

Unless this is happening on different writers, different brands of disks, and trying different (slower) burn speeds (very often overlooked imo), it is hard to say that there is actually an issue with the actual iso *universally*.

At one point I had three optical drives in my main PC, two writers and one read-only. It was the only way I could guarantee I could boot a disk to all the different isos and disk semi-reliably before the burners would stop writing good disks altogether. So I have been where you are, and very heavily invested in them. At this point I can only give my suggestions based on my own experiences and observations, as others are doing as well. But I gave up on finding possible solutions not already mentioned.

Comment

people are taking the thread off topic.
                That happens here a little (ahem) on occasion. We are a small bunch, but it usually does not get too out of hand.

Comment

Originally posted by vanadiumboy View Post
                  I test various distros.
                  Unless you specifically want to test that the isos work having been written to media, you can save a huge amount of time iso booting directly from the location where the isos are downloaded, especially if that location is fast, like an SSD or NVMe. No media or copying required.

Sent from my VFD 822 using Tapatalk
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by vanadiumboy View Post
                    Well, did you install from a DVD or a USB stick? This thread is about having problems when installing from a DVD and for some reason, people are taking the thread off topic.
                    That's because since before 2019 most mfgr's of laptops have not been including optical drives because they are too thick to fit in today's THIN laptops. Even on my 9 year old laptop I took out the DVD and replaced it with an HD Caddy which now carries my second 500GB SSD. Since most optical drives are less than 5GB I mainly use portable USB HD's or USB sticks to offload my data.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

DVD's are nice to have for old PC's that can not boot from USB Thumb drives.
                      As time goes by, one must stop using old media (5" Floppies, Jaz Drives, Hard drives, Magnetic tape, CD-Rom Drives, and now it seems DVD's are obsolete.
                      All of my PC's us either SSD, Compact Flash, or a few HDD for the OS.
                      I still use 3" Floppies, CD-Rom & DVD Drives, and USB Thumb drives to move files around.
                      The good news is that my PC's do NOT use paper tape !!! (Chuckle)

Comment

What! No cassette tape?
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by gh4wi View Post
                          DVD's are nice to have for old PC's that can not boot from USB Thumb drives.
                          As time goes by, one must stop using old media (5" Floppies, Jaz Drives, Hard drives, Magnetic tape, CD-Rom Drives, and now it seems DVD's are obsolete.
                          All of my PC's us either SSD, Compact Flash, or a few HDD for the OS.
                          I still use 3" Floppies, CD-Rom & DVD Drives, and USB Thumb drives to move files around.
                          The good news is that my PC's do NOT use paper tape !!! (Chuckle)
                          It?s ok if Kubuntu 21.04 no longer supports DVD drives/DVD discs.
                          I?m fine with that.
                          But how am I suppose to know that Kubuntu 21.04 no longer supports DVD drives?
                          The previous version supported DVDs.
                          It would help people if they write on the page that DVDs are no longer supported.

Keep in mind that many people won?t come to this forum and make an account and type out the error message. It?s too much of a bother.
                          ***It gives the impression that Kubuntu is buggy software***

I wrote the ISO to another DVD-RW.
                          I tested the disc on 2 other machines, completely different motherboards, CPUs, DVD drivers.
                          One of them says
                          [FAILED] Failed to start Snap Daemon.Card State... submit kernel crash signature
                          [FAILED] Failed to start Ubuntu live CD installer.

One of them says
                          [FAILED] Failed to start Modem Manager.
                          [FAILED] Failed to start Snap Daemon.for details.d submit submit kernel crash signature
                          [FAILED] Failed to start Ubuntu live CD installer.

Comment

Yep... That's the same problem that I see & reported .
                            Thanks for adding your info as well.
                            Perhaps some smart developer can address this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by gh4wi View Post
                              Yep... That's the same problem that I see & reported .
                              Thanks for adding your info as well.
                              Perhaps some smart developer can address this issue.
                              They won't see anything reported here. Ubuntu devs don't hang out here unfortunately.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

I created a DVD of Sparky Linux on the same equipment which was used to create the Kubuntu 21.04 DVD.
                                The Sparky DVD boots and activate the Live installer ok...and installs ok.
                                Brasero could not verify the Sparky DVD either, as there was no Checksum file created.
                                So it looks like the K-21.04 DVD creation is a bust.
                                Strange since the K20.04 DVD works.

Comment

Working...
                                X