• Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Boot issue

Having installed K20.04 on a single partiton I get a choice of boot options
    Ubuntu
    Advanced options
    UEFI

I have a solid state hard drive and the normal boot time is 25-20 seconds so having to click one a preference or wait 30 seconds for the first option is a bit disappointing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

you can edit the grub config file to lower the count down timer id say 5 seconds isent too bad.

i havent ventured into the field of ssd ive got to much faith in traditional hard drives ive had far too many flash drives keel over to use the tech to house my core data

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Tutorials:
    Yoda's ownCloud Installation on Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Odd. The standard timeout for grub is 5 seconds, and usually if there is no other OS it is supposed to not show at all without a hotkey pressed.

But anyway adjusting the timeout for the menu is a simple text file edit

https://ostechnix.com/configure-grub...-ubuntu-16-04/

You can use Kate or kwrite to edit and save the file. No need for the terminal here.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

As to slow boot times that can be investigated via the commands

[c]systemd-analyze[/c]
        And
        [c]systemd-analyze blame[/c]

This will show some possible spots to look at.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

GRUB "record fail" timeout is 30 seconds. This occurs when a boot fails for some reason, to give you time to select an alternate if needed. It should not be happening all the time though.

This will list the currently set GRUB environment variables:

sudo grub-editenv list

To reset the recordfail to zero:

sudo grub-editenv set recordfail = 0

or to remove it

sudo grub-editenv unset recordfail

Finally, to change the recordfail timeout, add this to /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT=5

and run

sudo update-grub

to have it take effect.

Also worth noting that if one is using BTRFS for a file system, the recordfail variable doesn't work and will always default to "failed" thus forcing the longer boot wait time. The solution is to set the timeout in default/grub as I describe above. **NOTE** I think this has been fixed, but I'm not 100% sure.
          Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 29, 2020, 07:56 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by hightokeinyoda View Post
            you can edit the grub config file to lower the count down timer id say 5 seconds isent too bad.

i havent ventured into the field of ssd ive got to much faith in traditional hard drives ive had far too many flash drives keel over to use the tech to house my core data

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
            FYI, editing grub.cfg will never work for long because every time update-grub is run, like every time you update your kernel, grub.cfg is rebuilt. The only sure way to fix something like this is to edit the grub file in defaults or edit the files in /etc/grub.d.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas. First, the problem isn't slow boot but an otherwise very fast boot is being spoiled because the system is waiting for a choice between the three options offered at boot time.
              If the system could just go straight into (K)Ubuntu then there wouldn't be a problem.
              I've tried to find out why these options are being offered in the first place, no luck yet though.

Comment

I've tried to find out why these options are being offered in the first place, no luck yet though.
                Those are the normal grub menu options, and Oshunluvr has described why it may be showing for 30 seconds, which is not the norm. You can use the info he gave to view the settings, and then edit them if necessary.

Comment

OK, Thanks claydoh

Comment

Originally posted by bill-lancaster View Post
                    Thanks for all the ideas. First, the problem isn't slow boot but an otherwise very fast boot is being spoiled because the system is waiting for a choice between the three options offered at boot time.
                    If the system could just go straight into (K)Ubuntu then there wouldn't be a problem.
                    Bill, like almost everything else in Linux, this can all be adjusted. However, before you make changes (other than the fixes I posted above), you might consider the reasoning for them.

All of the menu stuff is to present options to the user in case an alternate is needed. The install default now, and to my memory in the past, is to just boot directly to the primary option (newest kernel) without any menu. If you dual boot (or in my case, multi-boot) the menu must be exposed to allow a selection. There is a key-at-boot-time option (SHIFT or ESC depending on GRUB type) that exposes the menu and temporarily (as in - for this boot only) cancels the timer.

Many people don't like their system to do that or are booting more than one install so there are options to change that behavior. One reason is a new kernel may not boot correctly and unless one is quick on the keys, the reset button can become the only option.

In your case, I assume the "recordfail" issue causes the menu to appear and you don't need or want that. I suspect that fixing the current issue will resolve the boot menu, but in case it doesn't, in that same default/grub file is the settings you need to adjust. The default (no GRUB menu) looks like:

Code:
                    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
                    GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
                    GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
                    In order;

"GRUB_DEFAULT=0" means "boot the first entry"
                    "GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden "don't show the menu"
                    "GRUB_TIMEOUT=0" means "go right to booting without waiting"

So check that file and see if yours is set this way. If so, fixing the recordfail thing should return you to booting without seeing the menu at all.

In my case, since I have anywhere from 3 to 7 distros on my system, I need the menu exposed. I also use a dedicated GRUB install so I can add and remove various distros without accidentally removing my ability to boot. This works by booting to GRUB, having a menu selection of all the installed distros (plus a couple bootable ISOs), when a distro is selected, it's grub menu is then selected. So here, I have two GRUB menus exposed - the first from the GRUB install, then the second from which ever install has been initially selected.I set all my GRUB menus to show themselves and wait 3 seconds before booting by using these options in default/grub:

Code:
                    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
                    GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
                    GRUB_TIMEOUT=3
                    This allows me to push the power button and walk away, and when I come back my default distro is booted (currently KDEneon User Edition), or if I remain at my desk, quickly hitting Enter twice starts the default distro. I want another distro, I select it in the first menu, then it's menu is presented - then I can hit Enter to get the default kernel of that distro. Without the menus, I would have to sit at the computer and hit SHIFT at the proper moment every time I wanted something other than the default to boot.

Don't forget to run "sudo update-grub" every time you make changes to the default/grub file so your changes take effect.
                    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 30, 2020, 06:06 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                    X