This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Another dualboot not dualling

So I have a new laptop, Lenovo IIL14 something with Windows 10 home. I have followed several dual boot guides,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHZeDVeHLM4
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1032...0-ubuntu-18-04
    Various dual boot questions asked here in the forums.
    First error was an EFI error 10
    Second, I added (not as the guides states) my own efi bot section. I cannot select "boot" then "EFI" as the guides state. All I could get/find is something called biosgrub

Once I have finished installing (including a swap partition) and reboot, all a GET is windows. No prompt for linux (Kubuntu 20.04.3 LTS)

What I am doing wrong?
    Should I run cmds from
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1250...n-second-drive
    Guide. re-install GRUB
    Drive layout should be attached. Where should the grub go. I've even tried the top one!! Click image for larger version  Name:	OrginalPartitions.jpg Views:	52 Size:	72.3 KB ID:	660477
    Last edited by CharlieDaves; Feb 22, 2022, 01:12 PM.

Current Partitions and location I attempted to install "Device for boot loader" Click image for larger version

Name:	CurrentPartsLayout.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	660479

Comment

That biosgrub partition shouldn't be there. That suggests you managed to boot the USB in legacy BIOS mode, but I'm guessing. You don't want that now obsolete mode (though it has its diehard proponents). If you boot the USB in BIOS mode it can only do a BIOS install, and there's no point in not doing a UEFI install.

I watched the video, and I don't understand why he creates another ESP. The first partition, /dev/nvme0n1p1, is an ESP and Windows and Kubuntu (and whatever) can share it. Grub only needs a few MB of it. "all a GET is windows" suggests that the computer is booting from /dev/nvme0n1p1.

Unless you know you need a swap partition, I think you don't need it. Ubuntu will use a swap file if it really needs some swap. So I suggest you carefully remove the p5, p6, and p7 partitions and make a single one there for Kubuntu, setting it to be used as "/".

I suggest on booting from the USB you try to get the "Boot menu" rather that the UEFI settings screens. This is done by pressing F12 on my work Lenovo; other systems use F2 or F8. If the USB has been set up as a "hybrid" boot disk, it should give you a choice of UEFI or BIOS from the USB. If it doesn't, I suggest using Ventoy to remake your USB.

I suggest you ensure that secure boot is turned off in the UEFI settings. Windows 11 reportedly won't like that, but you've got 10. And in Windows, turn off "Fast Boot" there if you want Kubuntu to access your Windows partitions.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Yep. I f12 * F8 until I get a boot menu
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Lenovo F12 BootScreen.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	660509
        May I assume the linpus lite (sanDisk) is the UEFI.
        Also Thanks Jlittle.
        As You mentioned the Biosgrub shouldn't be there. But I tried everything to get EFI. I just could not find it anywhere.
        As You also mentioned windows is booting off of /dev/nvme0n1p1. On the install disk setup, it Asks, where to put boot installer. Safe to select this partition. I think these is what I selected and got EFI error 10.
        Next. I am using unetbootin, on Linux (PC). The second unused partition is for TO or Qubes or something else I might want to screw around with. I just wanted Windows and Lastest LTS Linux (Kubuntu) to show some Family and friends the security advantages if ditching M$.

If you Jlittle, have a step by step guide, please feel free to put a link, url or type it out, Please, and another Thanks if you do.

Comment

YaHOOOO! Booted Linpus lite. Looks no different than USB HDD
          Deleted as Jlittle suggested
          Created new. Somehow it didn't come up as root, but after going though Install--> disk setup, I was prompted, so I changed it.
          Selected nvme0n1p1 as boot.
          installled, reboot, and NOW I get the ?? linux ?? dual boot screen. Seriously Folks. We need something more colour Full or something. The writing is like 8 point font. Eek
          Thanks all. I'll wait a few days for any comments, then if I remember to log back IN (Normal Life Crap, not Coranavirus related) I'll close this off as fixed

Comment

You can "theme" your boot manager if you really have to. Personally, the 3 seconds or less I look at it just isn't worth the trouble, LOL

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X