X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [SOLVED] Building a light KDE4 desktop for a netbook, off of Karmic

Originally posted by Fintan
    ection.
    The default is dhcp if you have a different setup then you will have to edit manually.
    Ah i remember it saying something about dhcp, i've just realised that i didn't have the cable in while i was installing and it saying it was unable to connect to the network. I'll reinstall with the cable in and see if that helps, i have a feeling it will

Comment

Originally posted by Falc7
      ection.
      The default is dhcp if you have a different setup then you will have to edit manually.
      Ah i remember it saying something about dhcp, i've just realised that i didn't have the cable in while i was installing and it saying it was unable to connect to the network. I'll reinstall with the cable in and see if that helps, i have a feeling it will
      That would explain a lot It is better to boot up already hooked to the ethernet port.

Comment

Great

Keep us posted

BThW does anyone know what that huge bar on kubuntu-netbook is for??
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

BThW does anyone know what that huge bar on kubuntu-netbook is for??
          The one in the middle of the screen? This is a menu navigation kind of widget, ala Clutter interface (or like in the original eeepc, only a lot cuter)

Comment

Hi!
            I want to install a very basic (k)ubuntu on my laptop. I downloaded ubuntu 9.10 server. How can I install a very basic KDE after I installed ubuntu 9.10 server? Or shuld I download kubuntu 9.10 server? Does it make any difference (since the server edition doesn't have KDE or Gnome)? And my last question: I have 2 partitions: root and home. Can I install ubuntu server so, that it uses my old home partition? I don't want to lose my docs/movies/etc.

Comment

Ubuntu server is the barebone install.
              There is no kubuntu server, per se.

What you put on top of it is your decision.

See the beginning of this thread and enjoy
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Yes its working now, just needed to have the cable in while i installed

Comment

Originally posted by krisi1992
                  Hi!
                  I want to install a very basic (k)ubuntu on my laptop. I downloaded ubuntu 9.10 server. How can I install a very basic KDE after I installed ubuntu 9.10 server? Or shuld I download kubuntu 9.10 server? Does it make any difference (since the server edition doesn't have KDE or Gnome)? And my last question: I have 2 partitions: root and home. Can I install ubuntu server so, that it uses my old home partition? I don't want to lose my docs/movies/etc.
                  Hi! Fintan answered it most, see the first post in the thread for details on the minimal install.

Re: /home.The installed should allow you to, at the very least, use the existing /home. Make sure you never agree to formatting /home

See here:
                  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...FromOldVersion

For a screenshot of how not to reformat (in a slightly different context where you want to preserve /home as a folder in /):
                  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/komputes/How...tyPreserveHome

If you have several accounts, it seems it won't import all the old users (this is a shame, Mandriva was able to do that 7 years ago):
                  http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/item/7296/

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow. My last problem is that the optical drive in my laptop is dead so I have to install from a pendrive. I found this:
                    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...DriveInstaller
                    Will it work with 9.10 if I download the correct files?

Comment

It is a lot simpler, if you have another kubuntu machine, just use the usb start up disk creator to dump the iso to a pendrive. I always do that, I don't know when was the last time I burned a CD ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Live_USB_creator

Comment

Hey all
                        I have some new test data, KDE minimal starts up in 40 seconds, whereas kubuntu starts up in 52 seconds, so there is a significant different here. I am using compal JLH90, 2gb ram, core 2 duo p8400. I still have both installed so if anyone wants me to analyse the boot up i can do it

I considering using kde minimal as my default OS, but i am i having some errors there that kubuntu dosen't have, for example, i cant set up auto login without error messages:
                        configuration file ...../.kde/share/config/knotifyrc not writable
                        configuration file ...../.kde/share/config/foorc not writable
                        kstartupconfig4 does not exist
                        I've tried deleting .kde but it didn't help

Also restarting is very laggy, for a while nothing seems to happen at all, i will have a look for solutions for these problems but its not worth spending a long time looking into these usability issues for the sake of 12 seconds boot up time

Comment

Working...
                        X