X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building a light KDE4 desktop for a netbook, off of Karmic

Originally posted by skunk
    Have you installed bootchart from the repos yet? The generated charts sometimes contain some very helpful info
    Not yet. It's in the TODO list, thanks!

Comment

Thanks Fintan, your instructions worked well, i've got a KDE minimal up and working well in a virtual machine. If i were to use this OS as my main system, would i recieve all the normal (bugs/ security fixes/ new features for installed programs) updates as well as distribution upgrades from ubuntu? Considering what i am running isen't actually an (k)ubuntu release as such

To test the start up time between kde-minimal and kubuntu-desktop, would it sufficient to install both on a virtual machine, allocate the same resources to each, and compare the two that way?

Comment

Originally posted by Falc7
        To test the start up time between kde-minimal and kubuntu-desktop, would it sufficient to install both on a virtual machine, allocate the same resources to each, and compare the two that way?
        I think it is fair. Whenever I have time, I will add kubuntu-desktop to my install with apt-get, copy all the packages that are installed in a text file, see the boot time, and then remove them (hope it works fine, because i have a glorious install on my mini)

Cheers!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Building a light KDE4 desktop for a netbook, off of Karmic

Marked as SOLVED and added pointers to how to do it in the original post

Comment

From just a quick test with both running in the virtual box with the same resources + fully updated, kde minimal is about 8 seconds quicker to boot

Comment

Originally posted by Falc7
              From just a quick test with both running in the virtual box with the same resources + fully updated, kde minimal is about 8 seconds quicker to boot
              You mean to a full desktop? What are the absolute numbers? (I am interested in the percentual speedup).

Many thanks for taking the time to report!

Comment

Wow! I installed readahead and now it is booting in 21 to 22 seconds to a full KDE session!

Comment

These tests are far more exact that my previous one
                  KDE-minimal took 46 seconds on average from grub to last desktop icon appearing in tray
                  kubuntu took about 49
                  Tests are from grub-> the last icon appearing in the system tray

Comment

Interesting, you see essentially very little (if any) speed up (it is still nice to install a light system and go from there, at least for some of us).

In this thread, the original poster got a factor two speed up:
                    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106958.0

I'll test on my mini over the weekend if I can and report.

Thanks a lot!
                    Leo

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                      Wow, just completed the install:
                      • Use this network install image (Unetbootin dumps it to usb just fine) https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD
                      • Do a vanilla net-install (no additional software installation besides the base system and kernel, just skip the "additional software" step)
                      • Reboot to a terminal
                      • Run: "sudo apt-get install kde-minimal plasma-widget-networkmanagement kpackagekit kmix update-notifier-kde"

It is booting in amazing 24 seconds. And this is on a Dell Mini 9, where the SSD is not particularly fast!

The install size is 1.3 GB!
                      OK so I'm stumped.............the link ubuve onley gose up to JJ I see nothing for KK.

but I put it in Vbox and did like sugjested but in JJ it's not kde-minimal it's kde-core and thars no plasma-widget-networkmanagement eather ? but the net works eneyway.

I'd like to try it with KK though?

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Sorry VINNY,

Here we go:
                        http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...mages/netboot/

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                          Ha ha I was just coming back to post that link..........LOL

so hear we go DL and redo the Vbox drive

say do you know how mutch RAM I can safley give the VM and it's vid if I have 1500Mb in the host box runing KK?

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                            @Lmilano:
                            Looking good

I have similar boot times on my little old lappy

@Falc7 I got the 9.10 server daily from here:
                            http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/daily/current/

The installation goes just like the install from the alternate cd:
                            http://www.informit.com/articles/art...86096&seqNum=4

except for the end where you can choose which server you wish to install.

For a barebones system do not choose anything!!!!

Now you have a lean, mean machine.

At reboot you fill find a cli login.
                            login with your username and password.

Now at the prompt just do:
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                            then
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get install kde-minimal
                            and let rip.

At reboot you will have a KDM and kde4.3.x.

Now you can install whatever you need like kate, synaptic (iI don't like kpackagekit), and whatever else you want.

Enjoy
                            This worked great in my virtual box but i can't seem to get it to work on its own partition, i've installed the server version, but it fails to find any packages. I suspect that its because the computer isen't connected to the internet, even though i've got a wired connection in, can anyone help?

Comment

Mmm. Can you ping outside? Say,

ping www.google.com

Comment

Yes, ping is a good idea.

When you do:
                                Code:
                                sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                                what is the feedback?

Somewhere during install the installer configures your network connection.
                                The default is dhcp if you have a different setup then you will have to edit manually.

Then again if it worked on a VB then it should work on a HD.

I have seen this sometimes with alt cd's, maybe try installing again?

Keep us posted
                                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                                4 GB Ram
                                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                                X