X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building a light KDE4 desktop for a netbook, off of Karmic

Your welcome
    Do yuo know how it compares with the previous install?
    I can't give you benchmarks comparisons but subjectively it seems a lot snappier.

I will check its size later, have to get some office stuff done first

It will definitely be "lighter".

I did notice while browsing through synaptic that you can also install kde-netbook.
    So that may be an option when kde-netbook goes "stable".

enjoy
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Yes, kde-netbook is closely related to kubuntu-netbook, which is what I am testing now (minute and a half to login to a full desktop, but it is certainly a very slow usb key). The netbook plasma shell will be stable by January or so. I can't put it in the family netbook for now. I will test what you did when the rc is out.

What laptop is that? (I am interested in the CPU speed and HD/SSD specs)
      Also, do the basic things work? (wifi, hot-keys for volume/brighness, sound). For the life of me I still can't get sound on my mini with the netbook edition.

I think 45 seconds is not bad for a KDE distro, Kubuntu-64bit is taking about that time in my home desktop from fresh boot, and this is a 3 core Phenom with lots of L3 cache running at 2.7 Ghz, the memory @DDR2 900, and a really fast Sata 2 HD 7200 RPM. If yo have an average laptop, just in comparison your install would boot in about 20 seconds or so on that rig. 8)

Comment

kde-netbook is closely related to kubuntu-netbook
        Sorry my bad. I meant kubuntu-netbook.

What laptop is that? (I am interested in the CPU speed and HD/SSD specs)
        Acer Travelmate 4021
        1'500mb ram

sound, yes, wifi I don't know (I can try with an access point), lan, mobile broadband does.

all i can say is almost or even faster than my desktop.

And definitely faster that the default KK install.

Try and find out.

KK server install= 25-30 min.

the rest depending on your host
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks! I am actually thinking of doing the minimal network install (12Mb download). Anyone reason to prefer the server install that anyone knows of?

Comment

I have a feeling that the server barebones version is lighter and I am sure the kernel is faster.
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I went ahead with the net install plus kde-minimal, still testing on teh USB stick. It is a lot faster to start up than the netbook remix. I am almost certain it is akonadi, because other things are installed and not an issue (KPackageKit, networkManager widget). I am mearsuring boot time with a script, so it is accurate. I will post the details when I am done with testing. Cheers!

Comment

Ok, some more details. I will post a how as a result of all this, and credit this thread. I will also try to see if we can so something in 10.04:
                • The Kubuntu-netbook install shouuld be lighter and faster.
                • The regular Kubuntu could offer an easy way to make a light installation (just a checkbos in the installer).

Here is the main observation: kde-minimal + network-manager-kde + KPackageKit is a lot faster to load than a full kubuntu. I couldn;t compare the two in a clean way because I didn;t have enough room in my usb key. I will later on.

I use a simple sh script to keep track of boot time to a full desktop. I add it to Autostart for a user, with KDM in autologin for that user.

Some notes:
                • Akonadi (to my surprise) did not add any noticeable delays. It is added by the basic packages I listed above
                • The base install is booting to a full desktop in under 60 seconds, with the extra speed up I mention next. For comparison, the optimized Dell-GNOME in the Dell Mini loads in 40 seconds from the (much faster) ssd.
                • Using noatime for the ext4 filesystems, and using tmpfs for some of the temporary and volatile filesystems helped a lot (10 to 20% speedup in a usb drive, it may be less dramatic on a fast drive)
                • In another netbook (eeepc 701) with a full kubuntu, I removed akonadi, which prompted a massive uninstall of most KDE. Then I reinstalled the basic packages I mentioned above. The login time was reduced by more than 20 seconds, from around 100 to around 80.
                • Wicd does not make it boot faster than KNM
                • The net install is nice in that it is a very small initial download. Unetbootin lets you dump it into a usb drive (the default usb writer fails with it). The big PRO: all the packages are the most recent. No need to update after install, and any fixes since the release are taken right away. The big CON: it takes a few more clicks than usual, at least in the defualt boot. I will try the live boot next time.

So, if anyone is interested in testing this, I'll post the script to record boot times tonight. The testing is simple:
                • Make a base install (command line), with a wired connection, and reboot.
                • sudo apt-get install kde-minimal kdm kmix plasma-widget-networkmanagement kpackagekit
                • (optional, modify /etc/fstab to use tmpfs and noatime)
                • Configure KDM to autologin. Measure a boot time to a full desktop. I will post it later, or bootchart can be used (never tried, but it should be better, though i am not sure how to use it, hoe to measure boot time until you finished your login, etc).
                • sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
                • reboot and measure the boot time again.
                • Firefox, in a clean KDE/Qt system, would have meant 150 Mb in gtk/gnome libs, which I didn't want to see. Konqueror works for most, but thing like Hulu wouldn't. I installed Opera, which worked wonders!
                • I added a Folder view widget with no noticeable impact on login time. Hurray!

Needless to say I am going the extra mile hoping to do something that can be reused for the next release, 10.04, for all kubuntu users. I'll try to put on a blueprint. My claim is that the KDE light will boot much faster, but we would need to test in different machines.

As for my original post, I am more than happy with kde4-light karmic on the dell mini-9, it all worked, and it was snappy, even from the USB drive. I'll install it as soon as I have some time.

Comment

Hi,
                  Interesting thread, how do i do a command line install? There dosen't seem to be an option in the first menu of the live cd.

Comment

Hi Falc7,

The simplest way is from the Server Edition. I didn't do this, but Fintan did and can probably give more details of what exactly to do.

I used this:
                    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

You need to be on a wired network. Everything is installed from the net. You just follow the prompts, choose all the defaults, what can I say. It takes a lot of interaction and a bit of know-how, not nearly as simple as the Kubuntu live install. By default, this will install, in the target you choose, a minimal (command line) install. It gives you the choice to install additional software, but I'll rather reboot and complete the installation as I outlined above.

I'd love to hear how it goes for you. If you have a running full Kubuntu system, it would be nice to benchmark things before and after.

Thanks!

Comment

I get the message: couldn't find kde-minimal, i'm going to use kde-core instead, atm i'm trying this in a virtual machine, if it comes to it later i'll make a separate partition, alongside my fully fledged kubuntu partition, and i can compare the times

Comment

Originally posted by Falc7
                        I get the message: couldn't find kde-minimal, i'm going to use kde-core instead, atm i'm trying this in a virtual machine, if it comes to it later i'll make a separate partition, alongside my fully fledged kubuntu partition, and i can compare the times
                        Ah, is this in Jaunty? kde-minimal is a new metapackage in Karmic

Comment

Measuring boot time with boot_time.sh

As promised. This is how I test login time:
                          • In System Settings :: Advanced ::Session, I select "Start with an empty session". This allows to compare differnet boots, and also makes the initial login faster.
                          • In System Settings :: Advanced :: Session, I allow autologin of myself.
                          • In System Settings :: Advanced :: Autostart, I add the boot_time.sh script.

The script has these contents:
                          Code:
                          #!/bin/bash
                          #
                          # Measures the time it takes, from a boot, to a responsive desktop.
                          # 2009, Leo Milano
                          #
                          # Credits: [url]http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=11582[/url]
                          #     [url]http://www.linuxscrew.com/2007/09/04/two-way-conversion-of-unix-time-seconds-since-1970-and-regular-time/[/url]
                          #

# Customize this if needed
                          log_file=~/boot_time.log

# A trick to make sure the script doesn't run this xterm in the background,
                          # we want the window to popup before we go on with the script (i.e., is the desktop responsive?)
                          dummy=`xterm -e echo hi`

boot_time=`perl -ne 'print scalar $1 if /^btime (\d+)/' /proc/stat`
                          this_time=`date +%s`
                          let elapsed_time=this_time-boot_time

echo `date`. Boot Time : ${elapsed_time} >> ${log_file}
                          This appends the file /home/yourname/boot_time.log each time you boot (or login, hey, nothing is perfect).

Comment

@Lmilano:
                            Looking good

I have similar boot times on my little old lappy

@Falc7 I got the 9.10 server daily from here:
                            http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/daily/current/

The installation goes just like the install from the alternate cd:
                            http://www.informit.com/articles/art...86096&seqNum=4

except for the end where you can choose which server you wish to install.

For a barebones system do not choose anything!!!!

Now you have a lean, mean machine.

At reboot you fill find a cli login.
                            login with your username and password.

Now at the prompt just do:
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                            then
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get install kde-minimal
                            and let rip.

At reboot you will have a KDM and kde4.3.x.

Now you can install whatever you need like kate, synaptic (iI don't like kpackagekit), and whatever else you want.

Enjoy
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Wow, just completed the install:
                              • Use this network install image (Unetbootin dumps it to usb just fine) http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...mages/netboot/
                              • Do a vanilla net-install (no additional software installation besides the base system and kernel, just skip the "additional software" step)
                              • Reboot to a terminal
                              • Run: "sudo apt-get install kde-minimal plasma-widget-networkmanagement kpackagekit kmix update-notifier-kde"

It is booting in amazing 24 seconds. And this is on a Dell Mini 9, where the SSD is not particularly fast!

The install size is 1.3 GB!

Comment

Have you installed bootchart from the repos yet? The generated charts sometimes contain some very helpful info

Comment

Working...
                                X