Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can do it at the command line, or go directly to Ubuntu Launchpad using the link I gave you in post #40.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Thanks

Thanks bobbicat & jglen490
      It's so cool it will automatically start sound tests, collect info and start a bug report following your instructions.

I do that ASAP. Thanks again!

Originally posted by bobbicat View Post
      Hi, MountainLake

if you enter:
      Code:
      ubuntu-bug -s audio
      into the console, on the device with the problem, that will automatically start sound tests, collect info and start a bug report.
      All you need to do is follow through the on screen instructions that will appear.
      You will need to create a Ubuntu One account, which will require an email address, but that is straightforward and the opportunity to create it will appear as you work through the bug report.
      The whole thing will only take a few minutes and more or less takes care of itself, sending a report to the correct place for you.

entering:
      Code:
      ubuntu-bug -help
      will provide some other options but they probably won't be needed by you here.

If you want some background on bug reporting you could try reading through this interesting webpage:

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Bugs/Reporting

Comment

Originally posted by MountainLake View Post
        Thanks bobbicat & jglen490
        It's so cool it will automatically start sound tests, collect info and start a bug report following your instructions.

I do that ASAP. Thanks again!
        Report anything you find back here, with any further questions, the info could be useful to anyone else with this problem.

Comment

After a recent system update the issue I was having with audio seems to have been corrected. SEE BELOW

I still have no idea what caused the problem. I'll be keeping an eye on things for a while and if it looks stable I'll mark the thread 'solved'.

*later addition*
          unfortunately the issue I'm having with audio in Groovy Gorilla is not corrected.
          Incidentally I have not had audio problems before and Kubuntu 20.04 audio runs without a hitch.
          I posted a bug report but it has had no attention at this time. [I suspect this problem might affect Kubuntu Gorilla but not Ubuntu]

Elsewhere on this Forum a temporary workaround was posted.
          It puts the audio right for me immediately, so I will pass it on and post it here.
          However after a system restart audio is disabled again, so the following code has to be run in the console each time the system is rebooted.
          I'm sure someone on here will jump to tell me I got it wrong, but until the bug is recognised and dealt with, it is the only way I have to deal with this.

Code:
          systemctl --user restart pulseaudio
          Last edited by bobbicat; Feb 05, 2021, 10:09 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

After much internetting I first of all discovered that release notes weren't available for the Gorilla 'due to wiki connection problems'.
            Somehow, rummaging about here and there I discovered a copy of the release notes and discovered something interesting.

It would seem that there is a recognised issue with sound:
            Originally part of the Release Notes:
            LP: #1901043 36 - No sound in Try/Install Ubuntu (ubiquity-dm) when “Safe graphics mode” is selected (nomodeset)
            [safe mode is a way of dealing with the installation of an nvidia card]

So there it is, no need to submit a bug report, no need to submit information to any or to all.
            The issue is already recognised by the devs.
            It is just unfortunate that having no release notes available this was a puzzle to an ordinary punter like myself. [I suppose it has kept me occupied]

After I've retried installing Gorilla from scratch, I'll post here again.

*addition*
            Groovy Gorilla installation is still a very rocky process, although possible I wouldn't recommend it, I don't think it is worth the hassle.

I'm sticking with Focal Fossa for now but will be moving on to Hirsute Hippo when it is released towards the end of April. For a Hippo it is looking very sleek.

Happy Kubuntuing!!
            Last edited by bobbicat; Feb 05, 2021, 10:20 AM. Reason: more opinion

Comment

That's a pretty damning conclusion, in generl, but understandable in your situation.

A lot of people have installed Groovy with no difficulties whatsoever. Your problem is, quite frankly, not typical. So there may be some hardware issue, or something weird happened during install. Groovy resolved a problem that I was having with my new (to me) HP Envy when I had tried, and failed, to install Kubuntu 20.04.1. The touchpad was not responding during the install, nor was a mouse. So I ended up with 20.10, it installed easily, and worked almost perfectly out of the box.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                That's a pretty damning conclusion, in generl, but understandable in your situation.

A lot of people have installed Groovy with no difficulties whatsoever. Your problem is, quite frankly, not typical. So there may be some hardware issue, or something weird happened during install. Groovy resolved a problem that I was having with my new (to me) HP Envy when I had tried, and failed, to install Kubuntu 20.04.1. The touchpad was not responding during the install, nor was a mouse. So I ended up with 20.10, it installed easily, and worked almost perfectly out of the box.
                This is a bug in the actual install media. It is not an issue which would affect everyone. Ultimately a decision was taken which I quote here:
                I'm setting groovy to won't fix because we won't release any new image of Groovy.

Changed in ubiquity (Ubuntu Groovy):
                So, for me and those like me, sending in bug reports and attempting to get the issue resolved is and was wasted time and effort. Unfortunately the bug was not spotted and dealt with before Gorilla was released.

For those interested in technicalities, as far as I within my limited knowledge understand it, the issue is to do with installing in 'safe mode' which operates a command named 'nomodeset'. Unfortunately in this case, unusually, 'nomodeset' held back drivers for both video and audio and did not restore them correctly when installation was complete. This problem is hardware related and will not be fixed in Gorilla.

Happily in my experience the bug is not present in the development release of Hirsute Hippo.

If there is anything to be learned from this, I would say that it is a Community problem with a Community solution.

If you want to be sure an upcoming version of Kubuntu, for example, will work with your setup, download and run a pre-release test version in parallel wth your everyday OS and report any bugs/difficulties you might encounter. You will do yourself and others like you a big favour.

To be fair I think the above statement is an over-simplification.

It would be handy to know:
                Where and how to obtain pre-release developer versions of software
                How to check them over. What to look for.
                How to install in parallel with your present Operating System.
                How and whether to report any bugs.
                Where to get help and advice with the process.

Ideally all this would be presented in a form, useful, reliable, accurate and up to date... but we live in the real world, don't we?

You could google and run the gauntlet of useless, unreliable, innaccurate and out of date info. Approach forums whose members berate you for daring to have a problem. Shrug shoulders and just give up. Each of these methods I have tried and tested.

What is a guy to do? [...in this day and age is that sexist, thereby invalidating anything I might try to say?]
                Last edited by bobbicat; Feb 06, 2021, 07:14 AM. Reason: further information added

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	hippo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	645033

Incidentally if you are interested in daily builds and more for Hirsute Hippo there's a taster at this link:

https://www.debugpoint.com/2020/11/u...1-04-features/

happy kubuntuing

unfortunately emoticons don't appear to be appearing
                  Last edited by bobbicat; Feb 06, 2021, 12:43 PM.

Comment

It would be handy to know:
                    Where and how to obtain pre-release developer versions of software
                    How to check them over. What to look for.
                    How to install in parallel with your present Operating System.
                    How and whether to report any bugs.
                    Where to get help and advice with the process.
                    What you (seem) to be asking is "How do I become a beta tester?".

The *buntu developers are only 'so many', and the platforms/hardware/configurations "they" have are only 'so many'. They (developers) test as they can with what they have, but what they have doesn't come close to all the possibilities 'out in the wild'.

This is the conundrum of the 'Open Source - Free Software' universe. Users demand (near) perfection, but developers can't achieve that without significantly more testers, testers who provide needed reports during the development/testing stages of a release.

The 'free lunch' you get is only as good as the effort the collective 'you' put in to creating it.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm not really asking anything, Snowhog.
                      I am not anything other than another Kubuntu user.
                      I have been around happily using this operating system (almost) from its very first release.
                      I am very aware of its origins and its aims.

As a user I do not, unlike some others, make demands, or have expectations, but I very much hope that it (the operating system) will continue for many, many more releases.

I have on occasions reported and been involved with testing. I don't see myself at any stage being some sort of expert but if at some point there was a way, within my means to be useful, then I have always been here.

Reporting an experience on these forums is not a demand for attention, answers or results. It is merely an attempt to share that experience with others who might have encountered similar.
                      Those who feel their opinions need to be expressed can not expect me necessarily to share their viewpoint, as essential as it may appear to be to them.

These days, through the effect of having been around for a long time, I have become a somewhat aged gentleman.
                      I continue to learn, every day there are new experiences, but I also have a well developed acquaintance with how things work.
                      I know my limitations and I have many, but I don't need to be lectured about how the world turns.

Sharing your expertise is a wonderful selfless aim but make sure that those, with whom you share, value your know-how as much as you do or it will just be 'pearls before swine'.

I do feel that Kubuntu, long may it continue, is not 'pearls before swine'.
                      Last edited by bobbicat; Feb 24, 2021, 06:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks but...

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                        Have you tried the approach in #11 above. That is, open Kate and add the contents
                        Code:
                        [Desktop Entry]
                        Comment[en_AU]=
                        Comment[kill pulseaudio and remove its config]=
                        Exec=killall pulseaudio; pulseaudio -k  ; rm -r ~/.config/pulse/*
                        Then save this file in your home directory .config/autostart with a name such as "pulse_restart.desktop".

You can always change the en_AU to whatever you want. On reboot you should find that you have audio icons in the volume control listed. When you click on the volume settings for the speakers, you will hear a pop sound when you adjust the speaker which is working.

Hope this works for you.
                        Thanks for posting this as it has worked for me also. The only issue is after every reboot I have to select my default sound options as it reverts to other outputs and inputs. Is there a way to set these permanently while using the above fix?

Comment

Originally posted by MightyMouth View Post
                          Thanks for posting this as it has worked for me also. The only issue is after every reboot I have to select my default sound options as it reverts to other outputs and inputs. Is there a way to set these permanently while using the above fix?
                          After discovering that this bug was not going to be squashed in Groovy I gave up the struggle and fell back to the LTS 2004 Focal Fossa which is giving me glitch free service. I recommend it for now. I have been downloading daily builds of Hirsute Hippo, but recently encountered a bug, which has been reported and will hopefully be analysed and sorted by those hard working devs. Hirsute is a pre-release testing version at this time and as a result can display weird properties meaning it is not suitable for ordinary computing. It has a release date set for 220421 and will then be generally available.
                          Last edited by bobbicat; Mar 23, 2021, 06:15 AM.

Comment

After discovering that this bug was not going to be squashed in Groovy I gave up the struggle and fell back to the LTS 2004 Focal Fossa which is giving me glitch free service. I recommend it for now. I have been downloading daily builds of Hirsute Hippo, but recently encountered a bug, which has been reported and will hopefully be analysed and sorted by those hard working devs. Hirsute is a pre-release testing version at this time and as a result can display weird properties meaning it is not suitable for ordinary computing. It has a release date set for 220421 and will then be generally available.
                            Thanks for the reply and I appreciate the information, I don't take backups of my PC as I don't keep anything critical on the PC itself and I can always re-install but I think I will just keep setting my sound card each day and see what happens with Hirsute when it is released. If it doesn't fix the issue I may revert to 20.04 at that time.

Comment

Working...
                            X