This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio not enabled in gorilla

Sound devices are not properly recognized after install, or after release upgrade to Kubuntu Groovy Gorilla 2010.

There is a work-around for this problem elsewhere on these forums and one other user that I know who has this bug/difficulty.

I will try to find if a bug has been reported.

Please use this thread if you have this problem or have anything to add to the discussion.

I will report any findings I have on this thread.

NoWorries posted this elsewhere on these forums:

No updates have fixed this problem. So to avoid constantly being face with a SILENT COMPUTER, I have added a killall command to the home folder file /.config/autostart/xscreensaver -nosplash.desktop.

It now contains at the end of the file the following:

Code:
    Type=Application
    X-DBUS-ServiceName=
    X-DBUS-StartupType=
    X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
    X-KDE-Username=
    Exec=killall pulseaudio; pulseaudio -k  ; rm -r ~/.config/pulse/*
    I copied the original file to "/.config/autostart/xscreensaver -nosplash.desktop" so that I could restore when a fix is made.
    If anyone has a better solution to this problem, please let me know.
    *comment*
    In order to make this work for me
    I opened /.config/autostart and created a folder named xscreensaver
    in that folder I created a text file named -nosplash.desktop
    I opened -nosplash.desktop and entered the code below and then saved and closed:

Code:
    Type=Application
    X-DBUS-ServiceName=
    X-DBUS-StartupType=
    X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
    X-KDE-Username=
    after a restart the sound issue was resolved.

*end of comment*
    Last edited by bobbicat; Oct 26, 2020, 10:46 AM. Reason: code correction and comment

Comment

It would be helpful to link to the original past. Is it older, and less relevant today? His post is related to xscreensaver, which has very little relevancy to most users, as it is not something most people have installed.

Specific sound system info for *your* system would be more helpful

Comment

Some packages are available in Proposed for Pulse audio. No sound issues here.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          It would be helpful to link to the original past. Is it older, and less relevant today? His post is related to xscreensaver, which has very little relevancy to most users, as it is not something most people have installed.

Specific sound system info for *your* system would be more helpful
          hi, claydoh and thanks for your input.
          the post you would like a link to is one of a number and the link is as follows:

Forum/GeneralCommunity/CafeKubuntu/User Testimonies/Greeting Groovy Gorilla Kubuntu 20.10/

in particular posts 82-92 by NoWorries and myself are the piece relevant to this thread. I won't quote it all in full.

I am used to my PC and Kubuntu but I'm not savvy with programming and geekspeak. I'm used to searching and finding answers and putting them into use.
          You say you want to know about my sound system.
          I use it occasionally rather than continually though it is useful when it does come into play.
          I tend to use headphones, though I do set up speakers on another similar computer.
          I use a microphone very infrequently. I have very occasionally done a little sound editing.
          Until now from around 2004-2005 on my Kubuntu O.S. audio has been just a matter of plug and play.
          I have changed computer components over those 15 or so years with sound always being stable.
          I've not changed any audio components in the last few years and everything worked well until this Gorilla install.

I'm aware that there can occasionally be problems, as a rule I suppose I have been fortunate.
          I will scour the net for bug reports and perhaps make a report of my own.

Comment

Exec=killall pulseaudio; pulseaudio -k ; rm -r ~/.config/pulse/*
            And for reference, this is a sort of hacky 'fix':

killall pulseaudio -- 'kills' pulseaudio abruptly
            pulseaudio -k -- 'kills' pulseaudio
            rm -r ~/.config/pulse/* -- deletes the existing pulseaudio device detection and settings (recreated when pulse restarts itself)

There are likely sound card specific fixes that might be more appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Radcliff View Post
              Some packages are available in Proposed for Pulse audio. No sound issues here.
              thanks Radcliff, I'll enable Proposed and give that a shot.
              I'll report back shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                And for reference, this is a sort of hacky 'fix':

killall pulseaudio -- 'kills' pulseaudio abruptly
                pulseaudio -k -- 'kills' pulseaudio
                rm -r ~/.config/pulse/* -- deletes the existing pulseaudio device detection and settings (recreated when pulse restarts itself)

There are likely sound card specific fixes that might be more appropriate.
                I agree claydoh - but it does fix things temporarily and as a hack is not complicated to undo - when I find a 'proper' fix I'll be on it.

Comment

Again, new release, new kernel/drivers, zero hardware specs given to let us help find any possible device-specific fixes.

I'll just shut up now

Comment

I enabled pre-release updates, downloaded a lot of Pulse Audio updates, rebooted, and the result was--no sound. Not on YouTube, not on media players. This is a big bug. Fortunately, I have 20.04.01 on a thumb drive, plus recent backups, so I can always go back. I hope this is fixed soon.

Comment

I have sound problems with Groovy on both my Laptops. One is a HP Spectre x360 15-ch004ng and the other is an ASUS R501VM N56VM. Both have internal speakers and microphone which PulseAudio has problems with and makes both SILENT. The fix I proposed had to be done during startup. I could not get it to work in the boot options.

While I chose a Screensaver file to add the fix, it is also possible to create a file such as pulse_restart.desktop in the .config/autostart directory. I do not use screensavers any more and the screensaver file that I used was left in the autostart when I installed Groovy. So I have created a new file with the contents:
                      Code:
                      [Desktop Entry]
                      Comment[en_AU]=
                      Comment=[kill pulseaudio and remove its config]
                      and saved it with the pulse_restart.desktop filename. I have rebooted and the sound system works as as before with the xscreensaver file that I used previously.

Comment

System Settings/Audio shows the type of audio hardware and Advanced allows testing of Left & Right sound.
                        On Kubuntu 20.04, my device setting shows "Line Out (Built-in Audio Analog Stereo)" and works fine.

On Kubuntu 20.10, my device shows "Digital Output S/PDIF (Built in Audio Digital Stereo (IEC958))" and does NOT work.

Sadly the System Settings/Audio does NOT allow selecting the Analog Stereo setting from Kubuntu 20.04.
                        So NO working Audio on Kubuntu 20.10. Please fix !!!

Comment

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kubuntu/com...500u_no_audio/

Try this. it works for Ryzen 4500U:
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get install --reinstall alsa-base pulseaudio

Comment

Sorry, this did not fix it for me.

I can only temporarily work around it by running:

Code:
                            pactl load-module module-detect
                            (Which is probably the less evil brother of the "just kill Pulse" method)

There is definitively something strange going on here ...

Comment

Just tried installing Lubuntu 20.10 to see if it has the same problem as Kubuntu 20.10, (ie No Analog Audio output).
                              On initial install, Lubuntu 20.10 showed Audio Output=Analog and worked ok, then after some updates, it showed S/PDIF and stopped working !!!
                              So NO Joy in Ubuntu-ville, as 20.10 has struck out. Falling back to Kubuntu 20.04 where the Audio works.

Comment

Working...
                              X