This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gwenview printer paper settings?

I use Gwenview to display/print my photos in 18.04.
    My printer is an HP laser.

I can't find any way in Gwenview to change/set the printer paper size.
    When I go to print something it wants to use A4 210x297mm (8.27in x 11.69in) instead of 8.5x11.
    I've checked my HP settings and they default fine.
    Every other program I use goes to 8.5x11.

I just can't find any way in Gwenview to change the default paper size and lock it in.
    Anyone know?

Thanks
    Greg
    W9WD

Hmm. Open ~/.config/gwenviewrc and see if there is a paper size setting that you can adjust?

Nope. Just checked.

Here, on my 18.04, I launched Gwenview and opened a picture. I chose to print it. I don't have any defined printers in this install, so Gwenview defaults to Print to File (PDF). I click on the Properties button and under the Page tab, Page size defaults to A4 (8.27in by 11.69in). No problem. Click on the A4 button to bring up the selection list. Select Letter / ANSI A (8.5in by 11.00in) and click OK. Works fine.

Gwenview seems to be hard coded to use A4 as the default paper size. Nothing in its configuration settings for paper size.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 03, 2019, 09:49 AM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Darn
      I like Gwenview just fine, but is there another comparable image viewer?
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

I have an HP printer and the default paper size is Letter, and that's what I get every time I open "Print" from Gwenview. I don't think the problem is with Gwenview.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190303_110635.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	644133

Please Read Me

Comment

Just checked print to PDF and it's set at A4 when using Gwenview. Curious.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yah, everything else does fine. Just Gwenview
            Greg
            W9WD

Comment

Not so curious it would seem. The developer of Gwenview is French; Aurélien Gâteau (see: http://agateau.com/about-me/). So, as he is European, having A4 as the default paper size isn't surprising at all. The current maintainer is Lukas Tinkl (Czech Republic).
              Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 03, 2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                When you go to print in Gwenview, you don't have the Properties button to click on?

Comment

I get the same results using Okular. Could be this bug is effecting Gwenview:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1048...r-ubuntu-18-04

Please Read Me

Comment

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-69562

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                      Except that's not what I'm getting here. Printing to paper defaults to the printer settings - in my case Letter. Thus my comment that the problem is not likely Gwenview's.

Please Read Me

Comment

I just installed my Brother MFC-J4420DW printer. I don't have the problem being described. The printer is identified by default in Gwenview, and when I click on the Properties button I can select the paper size I want.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GwenviewPrinterProperties.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	644134

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          When you go to print in Gwenview, you don't have the Properties button to click on?
                          Yes and it works fine but sometimes I forget and it screws up the print.
                          Just found it odd that they don't have a way to semi-permanently set the settings.
                          Greg
                          W9WD

Comment

Again, my 'guess' is that the European default for paper size is hard coded, as the program was written by a Frenchman. I'm going to also guess, that a .cp file contains the code for this, and that knowing which .cp file that is, one can then edit it to make the change so for you/us, the default is Westernized. I'm guessing that our esteemed member Rog131 (or one of his other usernames) would know. He pops in occasionally and answers interesting questions like this.

Comment

Cups settings

At here with the Cups 2.2.10.

There is a KDE control module:
                              Code:
                              kcmshell5 kcm_printer_manager
                              with the default page size:

At here it get to stuck to A4... I can change the setting from the pull down dialog but it won't save the setting (?).
                              No error messages

The old school way: Browser and the page: localhost:631 seems to work.

and there is a message that all is OK:

So the (Gwenview) print default is:
                              Last edited by Rog131; Mar 03, 2019, 02:28 PM.
                              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
                              X