Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is UN-MOUNT not an option with removable devices? One area windows is better...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I will weigh-in as being neutral on the issue. I can certainly see the point. And there ARE many examples where you want to do multiple things with your USB, usually in some sort of sequential way, pending other things you do along with it. OTOH, I don't mind removing and re-inserting.

As for jlittle's post #15, that would be annoying! I tested this on my ASUS (motherboard) system:
    Upon re-booting, I also did not get a UEFI option to boot from my 18.04 live USB, a surprise to me. I shut down (hitting "c" then grub>halt), powered up, entered UEFI-BIOS, and I DID then see the UEFI option to boot from that live 18.04 USB. So, my results were mixed in comparison to yours. But I do share the surprise at not being able to re-boot easily to UEFI option. Maybe if I had re-booted twice ... but then THAT is also a PITA.

Again, I'm on the fence here. I can see the problem but have become more or less accustomed to working through it, admitting the PITA factor.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

My work-arounds above seem to function OK. I'd prefer it to not show "Unmount" unless it was mounted, but I havn't figured that out yet.

The best functionality IMO would be if the default up-arrow action was Unmount since the down-arrow action is Mount. More usable AND more logical. Leave the "Safely Remove" as a lower option for those who think they need it - I still can't think of a single reason to "eject" a thumb drive.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        I agree, this nuisance has annoyed me.

It does something at a low level on the stick; the system cannot even reboot from it. With a Kubuntu Cosmic USB stick, if I do "safely remove", I cannot do a UEFI boot from that stick, even after a full shutdown (the UEFI boot from USB option is not given on the UEFI menu; there is a legacy boot option which doesn't work, it tries a 32 bit boot which goes straight to a grub rescue prompt). I have to switch off the power to the box (using the switch on the back) to avoid removing and reinserting.

More generally, I'd like to be able to change that context menu, or at least add an entry.
        I have not encountered that issue but that's even a bigger nuisance than just trying to reuse the drive. With my older motherboard, using safely remove would actually kill the power to my SDcard reader requiring a reboot to bring it back. Granted, it was a cheapo and poorly programmed but I never figured out how to prevent it from going off except to not use the safely remove action.

I believe the command being issued is actually "eject" because you can duplicate the annoying behavior from the command line using eject.

Please Read Me

Comment

So in /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.devicenotifier/contents/ui is a file named FullRepresentation.qml and here is some suspect code:

Code:
           actionIcon: mounted ? "media-eject" : "media-mount"            actionVisible: model["Device Types"].indexOf("Portable Media Player") == -1
                      actionToolTip: {
                          if (!mounted) {
                              return i18n("Click to access this device from other applications.")
                          } else if (model["Device Types"].indexOf("OpticalDisc") != -1) {
                              return i18n("Click to eject this disc.")
                          } else {
                              return i18n("Click to safely remove this device.")
                          }
                      }
                      mounted: devicenotifier.isMounted(udi)
          So it seems this could be edited to have Unmount as an option.

Please Read Me

Comment

This too:
            Code:
             onActionTriggered: {                var operationName = mounted ? "unmount" : "mount";
                            var service = sdSource.serviceForSource(udi);
                            var operation = service.operationDescription(operationName);
                            service.startOperationCall(operation);
                        }

Please Read Me

Comment

Here's the bug report if anyone wants to comment:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=406362

Please Read Me

Comment

It got immediately marked as a duplicate of another bug I didn't find because it was filed in a different way. There's lots of discussion about the topic but just as much clutter if you ask me. It doesn't appear the developer cares much about the issue.

Strike against KDE IMO.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X