Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive cracked it whoop the nfs share is up and running.

id like to set it up so a username and password is required to access the shares i understand that means making a user account for each user and then add the users to the share group and that means i can control access more precisely

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
    Tutorials:
    Yoda's ownCloud Installation on Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Congrats! Now, for the benefit of others, why not detail what you did/learned to make it possible. In this way, you get to contribute.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Congrats! Now, for the benefit of others, why not detail what you did/learned to make it possible. In this way, you get to contribute.
        i was planning to do a detailed step by step guide once i got the share in its final configuration so i can properly give credit to thouse like yourself who have helped me out big time [emoji3]

Tutorials:

Comment

Originally posted by hightokeinyoda View Post
          ive cracked it whoop the nfs share is up and running.

id like to set it up so a username and password is required to access the shares i understand that means making a user account for each user and then add the users to the share group and that means i can control access more precisely

just to add to this question is it possible to have the /etc/exports file mount the shares in read only mode thus eliminating the potential damage caused by my mum if she deleted one of my files by mistake

Tutorials:

Comment

Sorry about the typo on the kernel package.

Accessing NFS shares requires the same level of access as on the client - ownership, group, and permissions are honored. Yes, you can mount anything read only. Maybe you should do some internet reading and searching on some basic Linux operations and rules. Mounting is one of the most basic things you do with Linux and there are lots of options and ways to do it. It would be worth your time to read up on it a bit.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Sorry about the typo on the kernel package.

Accessing NFS shares requires the same level of access as on the client - ownership, group, and permissions are honored. Yes, you can mount anything read only. Maybe you should do some internet reading and searching on some basic Linux operations and rules. Mounting is one of the most basic things you do with Linux and there are lots of options and ways to do it. It would be worth your time to read up on it a bit.
              thanks for the suggestion ill give internet search and have a read up on read only and other mounting options

Tutorials:

Comment

ive managed to set the read only option in /etc/exports file and i remapped my share today to /share and created the fstab entry's to bind the source directory's to the share directory's.

its a shame there is no user authentication support implemented beyond what the kerbos program offers i wont be going down that road from what I've read its hard to set up.

all that remains is how do i acess my nfs share from my moms house, i know i can use dyn-dns or similar.

How do i set up the nfs share so it is accessible from my remote location?

Tutorials:

Comment

Sharing via the internet is not an NFS function. You need to set up accessing the network remotely which is a networking function.

My choice was to sign up for No-IP and install NextCloud on my server. I access the same file folders via NextCloud over the internet as I do when home on my local network. It was fairly easy to install and I can access it with my phone, tablet, and the web - all free.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    Sharing via the internet is not an NFS function. You need to set up accessing the network remotely which is a networking function.

My choice was to sign up for No-IP and install NextCloud on my server. I access the same file folders via NextCloud over the internet as I do when home on my local network. It was fairly easy to install and I can access it with my phone, tablet, and the web - all free.
                    thanks for your help there bro ill be looking into the cloud

Tutorials:

Comment

From No-IP I got a domain name too. So I just log into my server from anywhere or use the Android app. It's pretty cool.

Please Read Me

Comment

my understanding is once set up i can access it using a web browser (i wonder if the kodi app for xbo which has the http login option would be able to log in)

ill do some more reading into next cloud hopefully this is the trick to getting it working

Tutorials:

Comment

if you want a more secure share i suggest you use sftp .. kodi will mount those as well https://kodi.wiki/view/SFTP

sftp is just ftp thur ssh. so you instal ssh and make normal system accounts. you can do it in a way where they are not able to get shell access and have chjails where they are only able to access the items you link in to their jail. Again if sharing over the internet this is a good idea also be sure to run it on a port other then the default 22 since port 22 will no doubt have people attempting to brute force access.
                          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                          X