This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrading file server form 16.0.4.4 EOL to 17.10

hi all ill be upgrading my server to 17.10 via clean install over the coming weekend since this will be the perfect opportunity to implement some changes to the way i share my directory's

i want to implement the use of NFS ver 4 with internet access.

the goal of this is to make it easier to access my media from my xbox one ore my parents home via dyn dns or its equivalent.

the nfs share will definitely have to have user name and password authentication i will be sharing /mnt/examplefolder

can anyone help me set this up as ive never set up a nfs share on linux or windows and it sounds abit daunting

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
    Tutorials:
    Yoda's ownCloud Installation on Kubuntu 20.04

Might be helpful: Network File System (NFS)
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Before you go setting up nfs and i think you should. You might want to check that the Xbox and the windows computer your tryting to talk to support NFS.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
        Before you go setting up nfs and i think you should. You might want to check that the Xbox and the windows computer your tryting to talk to support NFS.
        the kodi app for the xbox one has nfs support built in and my moms laptop is windows 10 which supports nfs

Tutorials:

Comment

Can someone elighten me as to why 16.04.4 is EOL? Won't it just get upgraded to 16.04.5 point release?

Comment

16.04 has three more years left!

Maybe you are referring to the delay in the release of 16.04.4 because of Meltdown?
            http://news.softpedia.com/news/ubunt...s-519572.shtml
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 06, 2018, 09:22 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
              Can someone elighten me as to why 16.04.4 is EOL? Won't it just get upgraded to 16.04.5 point release?
              AFAIK, yes. At least my 14.04 server went up to 14.04.5 with no fancy footwork.

Please Read Me

Comment

It is rather odd IMO the way Canonical is charting the support of the LTS versions. Technically, 14.04.4 is end-of-life but "sudo apt full-upgrade" brings it to 14.04.5. I think this really refers to their customer support. Updates are updates and 14.04 will continue to get updated until April 2019 and 16.04 will continue to get updated until April 2021.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by hightokeinyoda View Post
                  hi all ill be upgrading my server to 17.10 via clean install
                  Just my opinion, but I would never upgrade a server to a release that will be unsupported in 9 months. 16.04 is supported until April 2021 and 17.10 only until June of 2018 - three months from now. Why would you do that with server? If it we me, I'd wait until 18.04 is out to upgrade even wait until 20.04.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    Maybe you are referring to the delay in the release of 16.04.4 because of Meltdown?
                    http://news.softpedia.com/news/ubunt...s-519572.shtml
                    What delay?

Code:
                    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54FF54][B]mr_raider@HP-EliteBook-725-G3[/B][/COLOR]:[COLOR=#5454FF][B]~[/B][/COLOR]$ ssh 192.168.1.6
                    mr_raider@192.168.1.6's password:  
                    Welcome to Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.13.0-36-generic x86_64)                                                                                                                       

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com                                                                                                                                               
                    * Management:     https://landscape.canonical.com                                                                                                                                       
                    * Support:        https://ubuntu.com/advantage                                                                                                                                          

0 packages can be updated.                                                                                                                                                               
                    0 updates are security updates.                                                                                                                                                          

Last login: Wed Mar  7 07:11:04 2018 from 192.168.1.208

[/FONT]

Comment

Mmmm ... that was a short delay
                      Due to the ongoing evolution of the fixes for the recently announced Meltdown and Spectre security vulnerabilities, we are delaying the 16.04.4 point release, originally scheduled for the week of February 15," says Lukasz Zemczak, on behalf of the Ubuntu Release Team. "We intend that, when it is released, 16.04.4 will include kernels which mitigate these severe vulnerabilities."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 07, 2018, 07:52 AM.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                        Just my opinion, but I would never upgrade a server to a release that will be unsupported in 9 months. 16.04 is supported until April 2021 and 17.10 only until June of 2018 - three months from now. Why would you do that with server? If it we me, I'd wait until 18.04 is out to upgrade even wait until 20.04.
                        how long do you think it will be before 18.0.4 is released for LTS

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        Mmmm ... that was a short delay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        its the reason i want to upgrade

and by any chance anyone can point me to a good tutorial to set up the nfs share? a gui tool would be handy

Tutorials:

Comment

Originally posted by hightokeinyoda View Post
                          how long do you think it will be before 18.0.4 is released for LTS
                          See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseSchedule
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog

Tutorials:

Comment

18.04 means April 2018. Usually the releases are out nearer the end of the month. It's out now, but in alpha/beta format. IMO, for a server, there's little reason to rush ahead and every reason to wait a bit. Let the early bugs get resolved.

As far as NFS, have you started a thread or read those on here or elsewhere? It's not very difficult to set up. We've had NFS version 4 since 14.04 or maybe earlier. NFS or it's version have nothing to do with internet access, that's a separate topic. I assume you meant you want to "set up a server with NFS sharing that I can access from the internet." The best way to do that depends on your needs.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X