This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't add Dolphin services

The list of Dolphin services installed doesn't include the root actions I am used to so I tried Download New Services but get this error every time:
    Loading of providers from file: http://download.kde.org/khotnewstuff...-providers.xml failed
    My internet connection is up and working but the list remains blank.

The files at that source havn't been updated since 2012. I doubt that's what you want. For root-actions try this:

https://store.kde.org/content/show.p...?content=48411

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      The files at that source havn't been updated since 2012. I doubt that's what you want. For root-actions try this:

Thanks very much! I was using "Download New Services" from within Dolphin. I wonder why it is still pointing to such an outdated link? I wouldn't have found it without your help.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

Running Neon I tried that, but it didn't work. Neither did installing the root action from the option to add services in Dolphin.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Running Neon I tried that, but it didn't work.
          Can you elaborate a bit? (As in what you tried and how it didn't work)

I'm also running neon and the menu works for me without issues, but it has to be installed manually (or using the script in the package), installing through Dolphin has been broken for a good while as oslunluvr mentioned, probably partly because the infrastructure moved from kde-apps to store.kde...but GHNS has been broken even before that, as the packages didn't update (the last version offered by GHNS was a very old 2.7.3)

But the tar-ball available from store.kde.org should work (but if it doesn't, I'd certainly like to fix any possible issues, so all information is appreciated).

Comment

Works for me, here on Neon.

Please Read Me

Comment

Running Neon I tried that, but it didn't work. Neither did installing the root action from the option to add services in Dolphin.
              It worked for me but you have to move some stuff around manually. There are instructions further down the page.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                Can you elaborate a bit? (As in what you tried and how it didn't work)

I'm also running neon and the menu works for me without issues, but it has to be installed manually (or using the script in the package), installing through Dolphin has been broken for a good while as oslunluvr mentioned, probably partly because the infrastructure moved from kde-apps to store.kde...but GHNS has been broken even before that, as the packages didn't update (the last version offered by GHNS was a very old 2.7.3)

But the tar-ball available from store.kde.org should work (but if it doesn't, I'd certainly like to fix any possible issues, so all information is appreciated).
                I used the tar-ball and followed its "Root-actions 2.9" instructions. However, one possible point of failure was that kdialog was not available in the repository and I didn't go out to find a Neon compatible version:

----Requirements:-----------------------------------------------------
                Essential: (these should already be installed on a standard KDE installation)
                perl -the script is written in perl
                kdesu | kdesudo -to gain administrative privileges
                kdialog -to show dialogs
                kreadconfig -to read kde configuration
                dolphin | konqueror -filemanager
                kwrite | kate -editor
                ark -handles compression

Optional:
                krename -for multiple file (batch) renaming
                krusader -to use the included krusader actions
                xdg-utils -for default application support (2.5.x-)

----Installation:-----------------------------------------------------

Some distributions have packages available in either their main repos or community repos. For easy installation and possible distro specific patches you can use them if available. Manual installation instructions below:

Version 2.3 ->
                1. Uncompress the rootactions-servicemenu.pl script in Root_Actions_2.x to a directory in your $PATH. /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin are two valid options. Make the script executable (if it's not).

2d. (Dolphin and Konqueror for Kf5) Copy the two .desktop files in /dolphin-KDE4 to your kf5 servicemenu folder (likely ~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus). If you wish to use konqueror instead of dolphin as your filemanager, edit 10-rootactionsfolders.desktop by changing 'dolphin' to 'konqueror'. Versions 2.8.7+ shoud do this automatcally.
                I also tried the installkde4.sh script but it died with an environmental variable not found error related to XDG_?
                I also tried using the ~/bin directory, too.

EDIT:
                Ignore everything above. I redid the install to re-identify the problems but it worked! {shakes head}
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Dec 09, 2016, 04:15 PM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

EDIT:
                  Ignore everything above. I redid the install to re-identify the problems but it worked! {shakes head}
                  Installussecondtimeusresolveus syndrome.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Usually the results of someone afflicted with the Dufus Syndrome!

Comment

Working...
                    X