Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to avoid white border on Spectacle screenshots?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to avoid white border on Spectacle screenshots?

When I take a screenshot of the active window with Spectacle, there's a white border around the image. Is there an option to get rid of that border?

This is on Kubuntu 16.04 with Plasma 5.8 LTS.
    Attached Files
    Kubuntu 20.04

Try Screenshot, works well for me.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Do you mean gnome-screenshot? I've used that as well as scrot. Neither did the border thing by default. But I'd rather stay with the default tool.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Custom Keyboard Shortcuts contains the "Meta-Print" combo for Spectacle to take a screenshot of the ACTIVE window. Also, at least on my Neon User Edition, after I activate a screenshot a popup occurs in the lower right corner giving me an opportunity to open it with Gwenview. I click on that "open" button and in Gwenview I use the crop command to crop off any part of the edges I don't want.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

This does not happen on my system. I suspect that your snapshot includes the window drop shadow - I don't have one. What Desktop theme and Look and Feel do you have selected?

Please Read Me

Comment

There's also an option when you snapshot a window using Spectacle: "Include window titlebar and borders." If you uncheck that box you should lose the drop-shadow but you'd also lose the title bar. :/

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
              When I take a screenshot of the active window with Spectacle, there's a white border around the image. Is there an option to get rid of that border?

This is on Kubuntu 16.04 with Plasma 5.8 LTS.
              Bug 372408 - Spectacle Capture Active Window includes Unwanted Margin Outside Active Window - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=372408

Software recommendation - What screenshot tools are available?: https://askubuntu.com/questions/6558...-are-available

Screen-capture apps: ftp://linuxmafia.com/kb/Apps/screen-capture.html
              Last edited by Rog131; Aug 02, 2017, 10:42 AM.
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                This does not happen on my system. I suspect that your snapshot includes the window drop shadow - I don't have one. What Desktop theme and Look and Feel do you have selected?
                Breeze all the way.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

This actually works pretty well for me. I have a laptop, so I've bound it to Alt-End (if I used a function key the end key would be print screen) - takes a screenshot of the active window and puts it in ~/Desktop

Code:
                  scrot -u '%Y-%m-%d_$wx$h.png' -e 'mv $f ~/Desktop/'
                  edit: Since I'm on a roll here here are some other screenshot toys -

I have this mapped to Shift-End, it allows me to select a rectangular section of the screen:

Code:
                  scrot -s '%Y-%m-%d_$wx$h.png' -e 'mv $f ~/Desktop/'
                  And mapped to Fn-End, which is actually the print screen key, this takes a snapshot of the entire desktop.

Code:
                  scrot '%Y-%m-%d_$wx$h.png' -e 'mv $f ~/Desktop/'
                  Last edited by wizard10000; Aug 02, 2017, 02:23 PM.
                  we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                  -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
                    This actually works pretty well for me. I have a laptop, so I've bound it to Alt-End (if I used a function key the end key would be print screen) - takes a screenshot of the active window and puts it in ~/Desktop

Code:
                    scrot -u '%Y-%m-%d_$wx$h.png' -e 'mv $f ~/Desktop/'

scrot?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      scrot?
                      Command line screenshooter. Very lightweight.

Here's a man page - http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...1/scrot.1.html
                      Last edited by wizard10000; Aug 02, 2017, 02:26 PM.
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Ah, it's in the repository! Now it's in my tool box!

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          In Look and Feel, I have Breeze Dark but for Desktop theme I've stayed with Breeze.

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
                          Bug 372408 - Spectacle Capture Active Window includes Unwanted Margin Outside Active Window - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=372408
                          Thanks!
                          Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                          scrot?
                          I know it sounds a bit impolite, but look at it as a "shortening" of screenshot

I used it a lot when on Lubuntu. It's the default tool there. Scrot can't capture the mouse pointer. In case that's a deal breaker, gnome-screenshot can and gnome-screenshot works from the command-line as well. wizard10000 has given shortcuts for scrot. Similar ones could be made for gnome-screenshot. This is from my Openbox rc.xml:
                          Code:
                              <keybind key="Print">        # Immediate gnome-screenshot of active window with pointer
                            <action name="Execute"><command>sh -c 'gnome-screenshot -wp -f /home/Dell/Dropbox/Screenshots/"$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S)".png'</command></action>
                          </keybind>
                          <keybind key="W-Print">        # Delayed gnome-screenshot of full screen with pointer
                            <action name="Execute"><command>sh -c 'gnome-screenshot -p -d 10 -f /home/Dell/Dropbox/Screenshots/"$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S)".png'</command></action>
                          </keybind>
                          <keybind key="S-Print">        # Interactive gnome-screenshot
                            <action name="Execute"><command>sh -c 'gnome-screenshot -a -f /home/Dell/Dropbox/Screenshots/"$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S)".png'</command></action>
                          </keybind>
                          I think the "sh -c" may not be needed in Kubuntu.
                          Last edited by chimak111; Aug 03, 2017, 09:19 AM. Reason: grammar!
                          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111
                            Scrot can't capture the mouse pointer, in case that's a deal breaker whereas gnome-screenshot can and gnome-screenshot works from the command-line as well.
                            You just gave me an idea. I'd only need a cursor for an active window screenshot so I think I'm gonna switch to gnome-screenshot for just that requirement. If I don't need the cursor I can just move it away from the active window.

Collaboration at its finest - thanks
                            -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
                              You just gave me an idea. I'd only need a cursor for an active window screenshot so I think I'm gonna switch to gnome-screenshot for just that requirement. If I don't need the cursor I can just move it away from the active window.

Collaboration at its finest - thanks
                              Onlt too happy to be of help!

These are the three shortcuts I set up for gnome-screenshot (GSS):
                              Code:
                              Meta+Ctrl+I [U]I[/U]nteractive GSS
                              Meta+Ctrl+A [u]A[/u]ctive GSS
                              Meta+Ctrl+D [u]D[/u]elayed GSS
                              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                              X