This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    you can always volunteer your time, money or both. That will hasten the delivery time.
    http://kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-dojo...oper-training/

http://kubuntu.org/contribute-to-kubuntu/

Last edited by acheron; Jul 25, 2016, 07:20 AM.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by uvarvu View Post
      I'm already using the backports repo and sorry, I don't think I'm being unreasonable.
      You can "think" what you wish, but DEMANDING the volunteers meet your schedule is, to say the least, arrogant. No one put a gun to your head and forced you to install Kubuntu, and no one is preventing you from moving to another distro. Nor is anyone stopping you from volunteering to help, instead of bitching. Kubuntu, like ALL distros that feature KDE, are at an uncommon dual crossroads: a change in the QT API from version 4 to version 5, forcing distros to move to Plasma 5. You can always remain with the 14.04 release for another two years but if you want Plasma 5 it won't matter which distro you try because KDE comes from KDE.org, regardless of which distro you use. KDE Neon, also based at KDE.org, is the source of the KDE Plasma 5 desktop. You can always switch to it if you want Plasma 5.7.2, which is what I am running right now.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

also iirc the fact that ubuntu decided to go with QT 5.5 for 16.04 instaed of the LTS 5.6 version of QT is a huge reason why its taking longer to get kde 5.6+ and it related apps Since they require a minimum of Qt 5.6. so the backport packagers now have to check that the upgrade to qt 5.6 doesnt break other qt programs outside of the kde ones that they would normally package.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

A two week turnaround, I must add that to my to-do list ! ** Gets his PA to add it to Trello **
          Last edited by Guest; Jul 25, 2016, 02:45 PM.

Comment

clivejo, who let you out of your cell? Ain't you supposed to be packaging or sumpin?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              clivejo, who let you out of your cell? Ain't you supposed to be packaging or sumpin?

shhhhh don't tell anyone I escaped from the Developers Dungeon, please don't make me go back!

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
                shhhhh don't tell anyone I escaped from the Developers Dungeon, please don't make me go back!
                Ah. There you are. You didn't get far.

Come back with me. We have cookies.
                Last edited by acheron; Jul 27, 2016, 03:02 PM.
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

You fooled me with the cookies last time! Not falling for that again.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

A 'developer'? Does he warrant a KFN badge?
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      A 'developer'? Does he warrant a KFN badge?
                      Kubuntu Member badge for sure, and imo he does deserve a dev one as well even if it isn't official atm
                      Last edited by claydoh; Jul 25, 2016, 07:26 PM.

Comment

'Kubuntu Member' badge applied.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Qt 5.6.1 official build into the Yakkety main archive today

Lets see if that breaks clivejo's shiny plasma 5.7.2!

(should not do I hope!)

Comment

Originally posted by uvarvu View Post
                            I'm already using the backports repo and sorry, I don't think I'm being unreasonable. Kubuntu has turned into the Samsung of Linux Distros where updates to KDE come few and far between while efforts are focused elsewhere.
                            If there really isn't anyone available to maintain the current release then maybe people should stop and start thinking about the future of this distro.
                            Please have a little patience. It is in the pipeline.

Or as said, there are other options.

As has been suggested, it's not as simple for this release as it might be for others.

- Qt 5.6.x did not make it into the main Xenial archive as Qt release was delayed several times IIRC. Hence Xenial has 5.5.1 and stuck with that.
                            - Plasma 5.7.x requires Qt 5.6.1 as a minimum
                            - So to do plasma 5.7.x for Xenial Qt 5.6.1 needs to be backported in a ppa, FW/plasma/Apps built, and then a LOT of testing.
                            - New QT private ABI causes some breakages on non KDE stuff!

(I have been doing the Qt backport )

Neon et al have been able to just do that, and under their project remit not be overly bothered if their new packages/QT cause breakages on non KDE packages. Or even on some KDE ones, as they doesn't quite do the full set yet.

kubuntu has to have a mind to the rest of the archive and it's installability. Can't just fling our new stuff in a backports ppa and hope for the best.

kubuntu is certainly welcoming volunteers. See the contribute and packaging 'Dojo' link I posted earlier.

That is my explanation, and not an official one ^^^.

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                              snip
                              Thanks for the heads up and that makes a lot of sense now - thanks!
                              I don't want to jump ship as I still think kubuntu is the best after trying some other distros out.

EDIT: What happened to KDE Applications though? Is something preventing Kubuntu moving to a newer release other than lack of resources?
                              Last edited by Guest; Jul 26, 2016, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, the 3 releases (frameworks, plasma and applications), aren't as separate as they appear. There are a number of cross dependencies.

acheron correctly points out that Plasma 5.7.2 depends on Qt5.6.1. This has been our main focus.

However, KDE Applications have thrown us a few problems, especially with KDE PIM (Kontact) which has been restructured into new packages. There are a LOT of changes in the pipeline and we don't release software when there are known issues. Rather than breaking installs or trying to make a release without PIM, it was decided to concentrate on getting PIM fixed and transition to Qt5.6.1

Comment

Working...
                                X