Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • oldgeek
    replied
    I exchanged the default command for Steam with the one from the solution you posted and Steam opens perfectly from the Launcher now. I also added the same command to the Universe Sandbox launcher and it opens from the icon as well. A little clunky, but at least it works. Thanks for the tips--one learns a lot from this forum.

    Leave a comment:


  • vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
    What is KGears? How do I get it?
    it is your menu ,,,and I think the current name is "kickoff",,,,,,,if you right click it you will get the option to "edit applications" from their you can add your own entries to the menu ,,,or edit the current ones

    VINNY

    Leave a comment:


  • oldgeek
    replied
    What is KGears? How do I get it?

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    You can create an entry in the KGears menu if you want.

    Leave a comment:


  • oldgeek
    replied
    The first solution seemed to do the trick, and I am now downloading Universe Sandbox. The only downside is that I have to use the command on terminal every time I want to download Steam, but that's a small price to pay. Thanks for the tip--I must have spent an hour or so trying to get the program to work properly, and now it does. I didn't particularly want to go back to 14.04, especially since your comments on how much better Sandbox works on 16.04.

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    Have you tried the solutions mentioned here?

    Leave a comment:


  • oldgeek
    replied
    I still can't open the steam program because of this error:

    libGL error: unable to load driver: r600_dri.so
    libGL error: driver pointer missing
    libGL error: failed to load driver: r600
    libGL error: unable to load driver: r600_dri.so
    libGL error: driver pointer missing
    libGL error: failed to load driver: r600
    libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
    libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

    Any suggestions? I've tried the ones I found googling, but nothing works.

    Leave a comment:


  • schnelle
    replied
    Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
    Update: I have googled around and discovered that Radeon drivers are not supported by 16.04. They were on 14.04. I have a Radeon graphics card--does that mean I cannot play any Steam games on my computer unless I get a new graphics card, like Nvidia?
    Catalyst drivers are not supported anymore. Opensource drivers are default and only one available now and they work very well and already some games work better with opensorce driver compared to catalyst fglrx driver.

    So yes, you can run your Steam games but your framerates may vary

    Leave a comment:


  • oldgeek
    replied
    Update: I have googled around and discovered that Radeon drivers are not supported by 16.04. They were on 14.04. I have a Radeon graphics card--does that mean I cannot play any Steam games on my computer unless I get a new graphics card, like Nvidia?

    Leave a comment:


  • oldgeek
    replied
    I get the same version: 100052. I tried the two steps suggested in the link. The first one worked, the second one said there was no such file. I noticed that the command refers to Ubuntu 12. I upgraded from Kubuntu 14.04 (upgrade, not a fresh install)--should I have changed that line? The program still does not load.

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    When you do cat /usr/bin/steam what does the export line near the top of the file say?
    Mine says:
    [FONT=monospace]export STEAMSCRIPT_VERSION=100052
    I am running version 1.0.0.0.52
    Are you running the same version?

    Also, the r600_dri msg gave a clue to the problem, which is related to the ati driver.

    Check msg #5 in the following link to see a possible solution.

    Leave a comment:


  • oldgeek
    replied
    This is what I get:

    steve@steve-desktop:~$ steam
    Running Steam on ubuntu 16.04 64-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
    grep: symbol lookup error: grep: undefined symbol: pcre_jit_stack_alloc
    grep: symbol lookup error: grep: undefined symbol: pcre_jit_stack_alloc
    grep: symbol lookup error: grep: undefined symbol: pcre_jit_stack_alloc
    awk: /home/steve/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5: no version information available (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.6)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1461972496)
    libGL error: unable to load driver: r600_dri.so
    libGL error: driver pointer missing
    libGL error: failed to load driver: r600
    libGL error: unable to load driver: r600_dri.so
    libGL error: driver pointer missing
    libGL error: failed to load driver: r600
    libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
    libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

    It hangs up on the terminal at that point.

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    I am using steam version 100052. When I launch steam by opening a Konsole and typing
    steam
    I get the following output before the login dialog appears:

    jerry@jerry-Aspire-7739:~$ steam
    Running Steam on ubuntu 16.04 64-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
    grep: symbol lookup error: grep: undefined symbol: pcre_jit_stack_alloc
    grep: symbol lookup error: grep: undefined symbol: pcre_jit_stack_alloc
    grep: symbol lookup error: grep: undefined symbol: pcre_jit_stack_alloc
    awk: /home/jerry/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.s
    o.5: no version information available (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.6)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1459463254)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1459463254)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1459463254)
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 72: non-double matrix elemen
    t
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 72: non-double matrix elemen
    t
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 80: saw unknown, expected
    number
    [0516/180722:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(777)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak
    [0516/180722:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(203)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(20160331191033)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(1459451433)
    [0516/180722:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(777)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1459463254)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1459463254)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(20160331191033)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(1459463254)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(1459463254)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1459463254)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1459463254)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1459463254)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1459463254)
    Created shared memory when not owner SteamController_Shared_mem
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1459463254)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1459463254)
    Generating new string page texture 7: 128x256, total string texture memory is 131.07 KB
    Generating new string page texture 8: 48x256, total string texture memory is 180.22 KB
    Generating new string page texture 9: 256x256, total string texture memory is 442.37 KB
    Generating new string page texture 10: 64x256, total string texture memory is 507.90 KB
    At this point the Steam login screen is asking me for my password. After I cancel the following output appears:
    process 8342: The last reference on a connection was dropped without closing the connection.
    This is a bug in an application. See dbus_connection_unref() documentation for details.
    Most likely, the application was supposed to call dbus_connection_close(), since this is a private
    connection.
    [2016-05-16 18:07:18] Startup - updater built Mar 31 2016 19:10:48
    [2016-05-16 18:07:18] Verifying installation...
    [2016-05-16 18:07:19] Verification complete
    [2016-05-16 18:07:55] Shutdown
    When you start steam in a Konsole something breaks. What does the steam output to the Konsole give you?
    Last edited by GreyGeek; May 16, 2016, 06:22 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • oldgeek
    replied
    I have the same thing on synaptic, yet when I click on the launcher (under Games) the icon bounces around a few seconds then doesn't load. I've got a brand new Universe Sandbox waiting to be downloaded but can't get Steam to work. Any suggestions? (I'm using 16.04).

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    I installed steam-launcher from the repository and after running it and signing into my account Universe Sandbox^2 works better than it ever did on 14.04. On 14.04 I had to decrease the particle count to stop the planets from moving in a choppy manner. On 16.04 the planets orbit smoothly without cutting back on any features. Love it!

    Try this work-a-round:
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' steam
    Last edited by GreyGeek; May 02, 2016, 07:19 PM.

    Leave a comment:

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X