Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • steve7233
    replied
    I sort of fixed the problem by going to apt-get and reinstalling Steam for Linux. It still gives the error message but everything seems to work. At this point I am guessing the error message is an error itself.

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    CastleStory displays a fragmented screen. The parallelograms which make up the screen have gaps on all edges, just the way it displayed will running Mint 17.3 KDE. Fun game but apparently never got out of the pre-release stage.

    Leave a comment:


  • MoonRise
    replied
    I use Synaptic. Below is a screen of that and what I used to install. Runs fine.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	643196

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    well ,,,Discover ,,,dose not discover everything ,,,,,, but synaptic shows it @hear.

    VINNY
    I gather that. Something to explore.

    BTW, After installing the *-51 version I got a notice to update to the *-52 version. I did. I still get that "out of date" error dialog setting above the main GUI, but I click its upper left corner (I don't hit the return key) to close it and then proceed to play my Steam games. The main GUI runs fine and so does the Universe simulation. I haven't tried CastleStory yet.

    Leave a comment:


  • vinnywright
    replied
    well ,,,Discover ,,,dose not discover everything ,,,,,, but synaptic shows it @hear.

    VINNY

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    Here's mine:
    Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]jerry@jerry-Aspire-7739:~$ apt search steam[/COLOR]
    Sorting... Done
    Full Text Search... Done
    [COLOR=#18B218]funnyboat[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/xenial,xenial 1.5-10 all[/COLOR]
      side scrolling arcade shooter game on a steamboat
    
    [COLOR=#18B218]ibniz[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/xenial 1.18-1 amd64[/COLOR]
      Virtual machine for compact low-level audiovisual programs
    
    [COLOR=#18B218]lightyears[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/xenial,xenial 1.4-2 all[/COLOR]
      single player real-time strategy game with steampunk sci-fi
    
    [COLOR=#18B218]maptransfer[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/xenial,xenial 0.3-2 all[/COLOR]
      upload/download maps to/from a VALVe game server (Client)
    
    [COLOR=#18B218]python-iapws[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/xenial,xenial 1.1.1-2 all[/COLOR]
      Python implementation of the international APWS-IF97 steam tables
    
    [COLOR=#18B218]python3-iapws[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/xenial,xenial 1.1.1-2 all[/COLOR]
      Python3 implementation of the international APWS-IF97 steam tables
    
    [COLOR=#18B218]quake4-server[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/xenial 16 i386[/COLOR]
      dedicated server for Quake 4
    
    [COLOR=#18B218]ri-li[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/xenial 2.0.1+ds-3 amd64[/COLOR]
      toy train simulation game
    
    [COLOR=#18B218]ri-li-data[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/xenial,xenial 2.0.1+ds-3 all[/COLOR]
      toy train simulation game - data files
    
    [COLOR=#18B218]sl[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/xenial 3.03-17build1 amd64[/COLOR]
      Correct you if you type `sl' by mistake
    
    [COLOR=#18B218]steam[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/xenial 1:1.0.0.48-1ubuntu3 i386[/COLOR]
      Valve's Steam digital software delivery system
    
    [COLOR=#0000ff]steam-launcher/unknown,unknown 1.0.0.52 all [upgradable from: 1.0.0.51]
      Launcher for the Steam software distribution service
    
    [/COLOR]steamcmd/xenial 0~20130205-1 i386
      Command-line interface for Valve's Steam[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
    
    [COLOR=#18B218]youtube-dl[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]/xenial,xenial 2016.02.22-1 all[/COLOR]
      downloader of videos from YouTube and other sites
    
    
    [/FONT]
    The blue stuff is what my externally supplied steam deb package supplied. Apt show does show steam/xenial, as you can see, but neither Discover nor Synaptic show it when searched for or by scrolling the list.

    Leave a comment:


  • vinnywright
    replied
    what are you searching with ?

    what dose
    Code:
    apt search steam
    show

    @hear
    Code:
    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt search steam                                                                                                                            
    Sorting... Done                                                                                                                                                           
    Full Text Search... Done                                                                                                                                                  
    funnyboat/xenial,xenial 1.5-10 all                                                                                                                                        
      side scrolling arcade shooter game on a steamboat                                                                                                                       
                                                                                                                                                                              
    ibniz/xenial 1.18-1 amd64                                                                                                                                                 
      Virtual machine for compact low-level audiovisual programs                                                                                                              
                                                                                                                                                                              
    lightyears/xenial,xenial 1.4-2 all                                                                                                                                        
      single player real-time strategy game with steampunk sci-fi                                                                                                             
                                                                                                                                                                              
    maptransfer/xenial,xenial 0.3-2 all                                                                                                                                       
      upload/download maps to/from a VALVe game server (Client)                                                                                                               
    
    python-iapws/xenial,xenial 1.1.1-2 all
      Python implementation of the international APWS-IF97 steam tables
    
    python3-iapws/xenial,xenial 1.1.1-2 all
      Python3 implementation of the international APWS-IF97 steam tables
    
    quake4-server/xenial 16 i386
      dedicated server for Quake 4
    
    ri-li/xenial 2.0.1+ds-3 amd64
      toy train simulation game
    
    ri-li-data/xenial,xenial 2.0.1+ds-3 all
      toy train simulation game - data files
    
    sl/xenial 3.03-17build1 amd64
      Correct you if you type `sl' by mistake
    
    [COLOR=#ff0000]steam/xenial,now 1:1.0.0.48-1ubuntu3 i386 [installed]
      Valve's Steam digital software delivery system[/COLOR]
    
    steamcmd/xenial 0~20130205-1 i386
      Command-line interface for Valve's Steam
    
    youtube-dl/xenial,xenial,now 2016.02.22-1 all [installed]
      downloader of videos from YouTube and other sites
    VINNY

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    Yes

    Leave a comment:


  • vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    My "apt show steam" shows what your's shows, BUT, when I search for steam using the search bar from the "ALL" selection it shows nothing. When I scroll down to the "s"'s and look for it I do not see it.
    do you have "multiverse" enabled in your sources.list ?


    VINNY

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    My "apt show steam" shows what your's shows, BUT, when I search for steam using the search bar from the "ALL" selection it shows nothing. When I scroll down to the "s"'s and look for it I do not see it.

    Leave a comment:


  • vinnywright
    replied
    Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    I am running 16.04 and I used the deb package I downloaded on Jan 15th. It displayed both the main Steam GUI and that box you got showing an "out of date". I closed that box and proceeded to use the main GUI to install my CastleStory game and Uinverse^2 simulation. The Universe simulation ran better than it ever has before. Smooth as silk.

    I have every source available in the repository activated but steam is not listed.

    You can download the i386 or amd64 latest Steam deb installer for 16.04 from here.
    Code:
    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt show steam
    Package: steam:i386
    Version: 1:1.0.0.48-1ubuntu3
    Priority: extra
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Section: multiverse/games[/COLOR]
    Origin: Ubuntu
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Original-Maintainer: Debian Games Team <pkg-games-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
    Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
    Installed-Size: 2,662 kB
    Pre-Depends: debconf, multiarch-support
    Depends: debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, libc6 (>= 2.15), libstdc++6 (>= 4.3), libx11-6, xz-utils, libudev1, libxinerama1, libtxc-dxtn0, libgl1-mesa-dri, libgl1-mesa-glx, xterm | x-terminal-emulator
    Recommends: zenity, fonts-liberation
    Homepage: http://www.steampowered.com
    Download-Size: 874 kB
    APT-Manual-Installed: yes
    APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/multiverse i386 Packages
    Description: Valve's Steam digital software delivery system
     Steam (http://www.steampowered.com) is a software content delivery system
     developed by Valve software (http://www.valvesoftware.com).  There is
     some free software available, but for the most part the content delivered
     is non-free.
     .
     This package comes with a fairly substantial non-free license agreement
     that must be accepted before installing the software.  If you have any                                                                                                   
     opposition to non-free work, please select "I DECLINE" during the package                                                                                                
     installation dialogs.   There are also additional agreements in various                                                                                                  
     parts of the application that differ from the original agreement.  In                                                                                                    
     other words, pay attention and read carefully if you're worried about your                                                                                               
     rights.
    VINNY

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    I am running 16.04 and I used the deb package I downloaded on Jan 15th. It displayed both the main Steam GUI and that box you got showing an "out of date". I closed that box and proceeded to use the main GUI to install my CastleStory game and Uinverse^2 simulation. The Universe simulation ran better than it ever has before. Smooth as silk.

    I have every source available in the repository activated but steam is not listed.

    EDIT:
    The i386 or amd64 latest Steam deb installer for 16.04 from "http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/core/xenial/multiverse/base/steam" is a broken link, but you can download it from here.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 22, 2016, 10:16 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • steve7233
    replied
    I just upgraded to Kubuntu 16.04 and now Steam is broken!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Teunis
    replied
    By installing (adding) the xorg edgers ppa (ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu) you can upgrade to nVidia 364.
    I've been running it for quite a few weeks.

    Leave a comment:


  • steve7233
    replied
    Hmm, according to NVIDIA x server app I am using driver version 352.63. Since Steam is already installed then it might work anyway.

    Leave a comment:

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X