X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K3b and Lightscribe

Fixed

K3B won't write to lightscrbe disks, I can burn labels on the drive and burn the music on my second drive but K3b doesn't see the lightscribe drive.
    Using Kubuntu 16.04

Any help :
    gilgib
    Last edited by GilGib; Sep 04, 2017, 09:48 AM.

HP discontinued LightScribe in Nov of 2013, so I doubt that you'll find any updated drivers (void of known bugs or security holes) for it. The most recent drivers are here.

Notice from that website:
    On my system, running Ubuntu 9.10, with a MadDog LightScribe drive, it takes about 14 minutes to print a full CD at normal contrast, and 27 minutes at high contrast.

Warnings

These packages install programs as setuid root, which means that they run with full system privileges and could be a security risk.
    Ubuntu 9.10 was released in Nov of 2009, eight years ago. Almost 3 computer generations. I seriously doubt that those files will install on a 16.04 Kubntu installation without problems, if it installs at all.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Not sure how up-to-date this is:

http://www.pawtec.com/lightscribe/#linuxutils

Please Read Me

Comment

More info:

https://www.abidibo.net/blog/2015/02...hat-worked-me/

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the replies. 4L-gui works fine I can burn disk labels with 4L-gui. The problem appeared in 16.04 Everything worked ok in 14.04.
          I have 2 cd/dvd drives one is standard and 1 is Lightscribe.
          After I burn the Label I put the lightscribe disk in the standard drive and write the music on the standard using K3b on the cd,
          When I try use the burn the music on the lightscribe drive K3b sees it as no media present.

Comment

Yeah, it looks like nothing has been done since 14.04 due to HP dropping lightscribe altogether.

What about running 14.04 in a VM and giving it hardware access to the CDROM? I wonder if that would work.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks Oshunluvr that is a good idea.

Comment

Thanks for the help, It's working now. Seems that when I installed lightscribeApplications-1.18.15.1-linux-2.6-intel.deb I forgot to use --force-architecture.

Comment

Working...
                X