This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with nvidia geforce 9500 gt

Hello, i'm new in here, and i recently install kubuntu 16.04 on my computer, but i can't configure the video card properly. when i install the nvidia-340 package everethig crashes and the only i can see is one black screen. The audio doesn't work too, i have my computer plugged to my home Theater, but i can do this work in 5.1 channels.

How can i resolve my problem.

Ps.: sorry about my english, i'm bazilian

I use for a long time 340.96 in every linux I put on my PC without much of the trouble...
    My computer is old Intel Core 2 duo ram 8gb 4 hds: 80+500+80+160
    Asus MB
    kernel 4.5

nothing special

it works - even in kubuntu - but because of speed and flexibility I use xubuntu...
    Try - net install...

Comment

ok me too, but since i install the 16.04 version i ca't install the nvidia-340.
      What can do i? I try everything, but not work properly.
      i try to install 3 times in 3 diferent ways. But i don't have succes with anyone of those.

when i try to install the ".run" pakage downloaded from nvidia website, its result in some error if says "the kernel is not compatible"

if someone can help me , I'd enjoyed it

Comment

I used alternative driver program or synaptic...
        If it is a problem with the kernel - it is easy to upgrade and than try to install Gpu driver...
        I used to Google last year discussion of he problem...

Some times it took me few times to use recommended way to install the driver.
        Best regards

Comment

I'm already try all of that, but doesn't work.

Thank you

Comment

Personally, I stopped installing the binary drivers from nVidia's website years ago - too much maintenance. Unfortunately, the Plasma (aka KDE) driver installer GUI is broken for a bit. If it were my system and I had that new-ish video card, I'd want the newer drivers than 340 anyway.

My advice: Purge that .run driver file and revert to nouveau and reboot. Then, open a terminal and type:

ubuntu-drivers list

Output should be like this:

nvidia-361
            nvidia-340
            intel-microcode
            Then type:

sudo apt install nvidia-361

works perfectly here with my GTX 780

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Unfortunately, the Plasma (aka KDE) driver installer GUI is broken for a bit.
              I came here to figure out why the driver software seemed to be broken yet worked fine in Ubuntu Gnome/Ubuntu. Thanks for confirming it wasn't just me lol! And a big thanks for the info on how to manually install via terminal

Comment

To get the latest drivers, I have added the following ppa
                Code:
                sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
                sudo apt update
                I then follow the approach outline by oshunluvr, except in this case the Nvidia 364 version can be installed.

Comment

Hello everyone. I installed my Kubuntu 16.04 yesterday. My PC video card also is Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT, and video display is ok with no drivers. My PC is 6 years old: 4 GB of RAM, Intel Core Duo.

Comment

Working...
                  X