This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Fix This Hardware Problem?

Hi! How can I fix this problem? It seems to be a hardware problem, and I need to access my desktop back. What should I type? What should I do?

Laptop: ACER ASPIRE 4540

Hello and Welcome to Kubuntu Forums!

I haven't had this issue and I don't know your skill set.

I did find a post on Ubuntu Forums from 2008 about a similar if not the same issue.
    "gave up waiting for root device" while booting

Hopefully someone with more knowledge about this will chime in.
    sigpic

Comment

Can you boot to a live cd or usb and access your disk? That's the first test. If the disk is accessible, then you likely haven't lost data.

Most likely this is a grub or initramfs error and it's fixable. Get a live environment going first and check to see if your drive is alive, then post back.

Please Read Me

Comment

I downloaded the latest Kubuntu in .iso (1.41 GB), and I used Universal USB Installer to put the files of the .iso file into an empty USB drive.

Now, I put the USB drive in the laptop, and turned on the laptop. I went to the BIOS setup, chose USB HDD from BOOT, and then Linux (kubuntu) didn't boot up!!! Why?

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Can you boot to a live cd or usb and access your disk? That's the first test. If the disk is accessible, then you likely haven't lost data.

Most likely this is a grub or initramfs error and it's fixable. Get a live environment going first and check to see if your drive is alive, then post back.

Comment

Working...
        X