This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new WD black hard drive has strong vibration

My thread about this in the pre-release Xerus sub-forum got closed with that sub-forum, so I'm re-opening it so I can reply here. Thank you for your responses,.
    Originally posted by oshunluTvr
    Do a few S.M.A.R.T. tests first. I've used this before:
    http://whdd.org/get_it/
    I installed whdd and it showed the S.M.A.R.T. data, which shows zero for various error rates.
    Originally posted by Rod J
    Try gnome-disk-utility...
    That's really good. Shows the S.M.A.R.T. data and nifty benchmark graphs, but also has a "Standby Now" function which spins down the drive, ending the vibration.
    Originally posted by oshunluvr
    sudo hdparm -M /dev/sdX
    gives "acoustic = not supported". Looking at the man page for hdparm -M,
    Most modern harddisk drives have the ability to speed down the head movements to reduce their noise output.
    implies that it wouldn't help if supported, because it's not head movements making the noise, it's the spinning.

I'd never much looked at hdparm before. sudo hdparm -y /dev/sdb also spins down the drive.
    Regards, John Little

If the drive vibrates when running, that's not a good sign. You just bought it, yes? Under warranty then. Take it back or contact the seller for a replacement.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      If the drive vibrates when running, that's not a good sign. You just bought it, yes? Under warranty then. Take it back or contact the seller for a replacement.
      Through a lifetime of dealing with stroppy hardware engineers (it's a software problem, unless conclusively proved otherwise) I've developed the practice of trying to get my ducks in a row before reporting a hardware problem. But I should just take the simple approach sometimes. I turned up at the service desk, with invoice in hand.
      Me: It vibrates.
      Service person wordlessly takes drive and puts it in drive caddy, then does some data entry, and motions me to follow him. We walk into the store, he pulls a replacement from a shelf and hands it to me.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Awesome.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X