Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I have the "mysterious disappearing places" issue too and it's a clean install - even a fresh /home. It hasn't bothered me enough to dig into it. It's summer here and we're keeping busy doing other things so I'm not at the computer as much.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm mainly using Kubuntu 14.04 and I'm installing Just Kubuntu 14.04 on other people's machines, which these days seems to be quite a number. I think I'm going to my my experimenting with plasma 5 in Suse Tumbleweed. I'll d a clean install once I'm sure this Ext4 Kernel bug is out of the repos.

Comment

I tried to install Kubuntu 14.04.2 but it wouldn't boot up completely (stuck at some error message apparently, or some "Starting Read ahead (for other mounts)" message that was the last to be seen. Before that I tried Ubuntu Server 14.04.2 and the installer hung at several mount problems (http://askubuntu.com/questions/59811...t-umount-media) which apparently I could have solved (slightly) by disabling the fd0 in the bios. So now I tried two 14.02 point two releases of Ubuntu and both failed. Now I am back in 14.10 Kubuntu, hoping to make it a cozy home once more.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Well, I have the "mysterious disappearing places" issue too and it's a clean install - even a fresh /home.
          Same. I was able to successfully add one shortcut to Places, and this addition was reflected in both ~/.kde/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml and ~/.local/share/user-places.xbel. But any further attempts to add more shortcuts fail. The most recently added one appears in bookmarks.xml, but they don't appear in user-places.xbel.

Wait... now I also see a file ~/.local/share/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml. What's that? Investigating...

Sigh. I give up. After fiddling around inside these files, I conclude that something is broken. If I add a shortcut, it appears only in .kde/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml, not the other one. If I then add a second shortcut while Dolphin is still open, it replaces the previous one in both the panel and the bookmarks file. If I close then reopen Dolphin, the shortcut is gone, but it's still in the file.

The only thing I can think of, timingwise (my very first Places entry remained there until I removed it from the bookmarks file), is that I installed kipi-pliugins and digikam possibly after I created the Places entry. Perhaps there's some relation?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            . . . . The only thing I can think of, timingwise (my very first Places entry remained there until I removed it from the bookmarks file), is that I installed kipi-pliugins and digikam possibly after I created the Places entry. Perhaps there's some relation?
            You certainly deserve top marks for doing such a thorough investigation into the problem.

To set your mind at ease, I do not have kipi-plugins and digikam installed on my system, so I do not think that they are related to this problem

Comment

All I did was to re-install from the 14.10 mini ISO (still keeping the separate /home), upgrade from that install to 15.04 before adding the GUI. It saves a lot of headache in the upgrade process from KDE 4 to 5.
              The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                You certainly deserve top marks for doing such a thorough investigation into the problem.

To set your mind at ease, I do not have kipi-plugins and digikam installed on my system, so I do not think that they are related to this problem
                Hmmm, that sounds a little sarcastic.

Good thing we like sarcasm... lol

Please Read Me

Comment

Hmmm, that sounds a little sarcastic.

Good thing we like sarcasm... lol
                  Glad you are able to get lol out of my response. I did not mean to be sarcastic. The definition that I found for the noun sarcastic is:
                  1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
                  2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark:
                  So from this definition I plead NOT GUILTY.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                    Glad you are able to get lol out of my response. I did not mean to be sarcastic. The definition that I found for the noun sarcastic is:
                    So from this definition I plead NOT GUILTY.
                    Well, I did not view sarcasm as necessarily having such a harsh definition or I would not have used it. To me, it's more of a type of humorous tool. A way to say something that's really the opposite of what you mean - which I define as sarcasm; as in Steve didn't really spend much time investigating the cause of the Places problem, so you humorously - in a sarcastic way - pointed this out.

If my comment came off as I was calling you harsh or cutting, I apologize and assure you that was not my intent.

Please Read Me

Comment

To flog this dying horse once more: Here's the Merriam-Webster (USA) definition of sarcasm:

Dictionary
                      sarcasm
                      noun sar·casm \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
                      : the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone, to show irritation, or to be funny.

Thus, I was saying you were using sarcasm in a funny (not insulting or irritated) way.

Please Read Me

Comment

sarcasm
                        the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone, to show irritation, or to be funny.

Thus, I was saying you were using sarcasm in a funny (not insulting or irritated) way.
                        I have a very high regard for Steve and meant what I said, ie He did a thorough investigation . . . etc.

I hope that the problem with places gets resolved soon to the satisfaction of everyone.

Comment

Somehow they broke support for my ELANTECH multitouchpad. Was working when 15.04 first came out. You can find users complaining for literally YEARS about it (mostly Acer laptops) with all their moans and groans falling on deaf ears.

Linux just isn't what it used to be... I might switch to BSD.

Comment

I even tried the latest Fedora Spin of KDE with plasma 5, no luck. PC-BSD recognized my ElanTech input device though, the Intel video driver didn't wrk however. So I'm guessing it's Intel's fault for calling this Atom Laptop a Pentium with Intel HD Graphics. It doesn't seem to be backwards compatible. If there's ever a class-action lawsuit for the false advertising let me know.

Comment

Dolphin Places II

Earlier: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post372716

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/05/29...el.html#t21:32
                              sgclark Vivid applications 15.04.1 is ready for testing in next-stage2 21:32
                              sgclark ahoneybun: ^ 21:33
                              ylaissus sgclark: Hi, I just installed them on a VM and it seems to work just fine, even the dolphin bug about places ! 21:40
                              sgclark ylaissus: thanks! 21:40
                              sgclark if I could get one or two more testers I will release to backports. 21:41
                              Try Me !

Comment

Can you believe PC-BSD removed the GUI bluetooth manager because the stack was "too old and buggy". And the command line utilities don't seem to support profiles for speakers and headphones, just BT keyboards and mice. Well, that's a deal breaker for me FreeBSD guys... back to waiting on kernel 4.1.

Comment

Working...
                                X