Anyone running Plasma 5 beta yet?

Please Read Me

I have tried a little, but this:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1362631
    is a deal-breaker for me.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Anyone running Plasma 5 beta yet?
      some of us ,,,,,,I think ,,,,,their are at least 2 other threads on this .

I have the "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/neon/kf5/ubuntu trusty main" PPA so I have a neon5 login available at the login screen (along with fluxbox&XBMC)

thread @ https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...E-Project-Neon

and theirs this one https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...14-10%E2%80%8F

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Been running kf5 (not neon) as my daily driver for a few weeks now. Missing a number of plasma widgets not yet ported to frameworks 5 , and some system settings modules are not there yet.

Other than a slightly frequent crash of plasma, which recovers very gracefully and quickly, I have few if any problems. The vast majority of the actual software is the same as an up to date Kde 4, so it mostly acts the same, but looks different.

Frameworks 5.2 looks close to being fully packaged, we'll see what that brings

The only real trouble I have currently is a very frequent loss of mouse/kb control or focus, so I can't click on a window to do anything, or type unless I alt-tab. Not sure if this is my aging laptop or not yet.
        Last edited by claydoh; Sep 17, 2014, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Just tried running it under 14.04. It's way off ready in my opinion. Nividia settings don't persist. Rotated monitors don't have the backgrounds scaled correctly (the scaling seems to work out the size of the monitor OK, but scale in Landscape rather than Portrait), but the major deal breaker is that aconadi is coming up as not registered with D-Bus and Kontact won't start. I'll keep updating and hoping, but its definitely not there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pnunn View Post
            Just tried running it under 14.04. It's way off ready in my opinion. Nividia settings don't persist. Rotated monitors don't have the backgrounds scaled correctly (the scaling seems to work out the size of the monitor OK, but scale in Landscape rather than Portrait), but the major deal breaker is that aconadi is coming up as not registered with D-Bus and Kontact won't start. I'll keep updating and hoping, but its definitely not there yet.
            I imagine that much of this is due to the way Neon lives alongside KDE 4. In 14.10 Plasma 5 Beta, kontact runs just fine. I don't have multiple monitors, or Nvidia, but it is much more stable than one might expect. No, KF5 is not quite ready for Prime Time, and won't be the default until 15.04, at a minimum.

One thing to reiterate for those interested, the actual applications are still the same versions we are all used to in the vast majority of cases. It is Plasma that is changing, but not outrageously so, as was the case when we went from KDE3 to KDE4.

Comment

I tried with kubuntu/next from 14.10 Beta and could get logged in.

I tried the pplasma 5 beta iso on a stick and got a boot: prompt.
              Trying live or install didn't work work from here.
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan View Post
                I tried with kubuntu/next from 14.10 Beta and could get logged in.
                For your Beta results, could you add them to the ISO testing?
                I was (sort of) successful, but I was running in a VM.

Comment

With beta 2 I got to the Welcome screen after an eternity.
                  Choosing "try kubuntu" I got a loop always goinf back to the welcome screen. I guess it is a step forward.

I still don't know how I am supposed to test something that doesn't want to be tested.

@mparillo: Thanky for the links, I'll have a look there over the WE.
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan View Post
                    Choosing "try kubuntu" I got a loop always goinf back to the welcome screen. I guess it is a step forward.

Same here. I've tried two different Live isos with no luck.
                    I was thinking it's related to my Radeon 6790.
                    Anyone knows working iso?

Comment

Latest daily isos working for me.
                      Trick is to use dd or the usb-creator-kde from utopic

Comment

I tried to try it out using the 14.10 plasma 5 iso in Virtualbox but it didn't work.

Comment

I must be lucky, is all
                          Latest daily Plasma 5 iso.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	642508

Comment

Hmm.... I have a Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series card.....
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Edit

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              Trick is to use dd...
                              The dd command? Like in this tut?
                              It states that:
                              Otherwise you might overwrite your internal hard drive or an attached USB drive with all your photos. dd is nick-named "disk destroyer".
                              Last edited by DejanN; Oct 14, 2014, 05:09 AM. Reason: Repair

Comment

Working...
                              X