Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The -98 header is missing. I shall add it now.

I entered [sudo apt-get install linux-headers-4.4.0-98] and hit return resulting in this:

richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-4.4.0-98
    [sudo] password for richard:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    linux-headers-4.4.0-97 linux-headers-4.4.0-97-generic
    linux-image-4.4.0-97-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-97-generic
    linux-signed-image-4.4.0-97-generic
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    linux-headers-4.4.0-98
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 9,913 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 72.0 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main linux-headers-4.4.0-98 all 4.4.0-98.121~14.04.1 [9,913 kB]
    Fetched 9,913 kB in 14s (693 kB/s)
    Selecting previously unselected package linux-headers-4.4.0-98.
    (Reading database ... 439357 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../linux-headers-4.4.0-98_4.4.0-98.121~14.04.1_all.deb ...
    Unpacking linux-headers-4.4.0-98 (4.4.0-98.121~14.04.1) ...
    Setting up linux-headers-4.4.0-98 (4.4.0-98.121~14.04.1) ...
    richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$
    Do I now reboot?
    Last edited by logan01; Oct 31, 2017, 10:48 PM.
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Come in earth, come in earth. Requesting green light for reboot. believe it's a go.
      HP15 -
      -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

You should be okay to do a shutdown / reboot.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Here we go. I saved the output but as previously stated, it would not scroll up to the beginng cmd for this particular task therefore it did not save it all. Going with Throttle Up.
          HP15 -

Comment

Successful Reboot. What's next? Here's this:

richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$ uname -r
            4.4.0-98-generic
            richard@richard-HP-15-Notebook-PC:~$
            HP15 -

Comment

If all is well, that's super. I just assumed when updates installed they perged and replaced what they were updating.

Is that possible or will I monitor the updates and keep the current two while purging the rest?

I can handle the labor involved but I hate putting yall through it. It does try my nerves though. Like driving through the densest of fogs.
              HP15 -

Comment

Goodness. Dropped my /sda7 from 98% Use to 35%. Wow! Fantastic.

I'll be back later today. Pretty tired.

Yall are the best. I know it's a pain dealing with someone at my skill level.

I sincerely appreciate the patience and help you so willingly give of yourselves.

Thank you.
                HP15 -

Comment

Not a pain. We are happy to be able to assist.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    Not a pain. We are happy to be able to assist.
                    Thank you sir.
                    HP15 -

Comment

I see in Muon that I still have 17 or so 3.19.0-x linux-headers installed. Some are header files and others are kernel headers. Should I remove each one? If I do, isn't there something I do in Konsole to rid their "offspring"?

Within the list are also a few 4 series consisting of one each:

4.4.0-97 kernel header

4.4.0-97 header file

4.4.0-98 header file

4.4.0-59 header file

4.4.0-59 kernel header
                      Last edited by logan01; Nov 01, 2017, 07:16 AM.
                      HP15 -

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        Okay. Good enough.

You want to select EVERY (and ONLY) linux-headers- that contain 3.* (any 3 series header) and then Mark for: Purge

BE VERY CAREFUL that you select ONLY the 3.* series linux-headers. Once they have been selected and marked for Purge, click on Apply Changes.

Warning: IF YOU SELECT ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHAT I SPECIFIED ABOVE, YOU COULD END UP HOSING YOUR SYSTEM, SO AGAIN, BE VERY CAREFUL HERE.
                        A bit odd. "Searching" muon against "linux-headers" includes the 17+ 3 series if I have selected "installed" on the left.

If I select Installed (auto-removable), the only thing that shows up are two headers for 4.4.0-97.
                        Last edited by logan01; Nov 01, 2017, 07:18 AM.
                        HP15 -

Comment

Do “sudo apt-get autoremove” again to recapture more free space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm back - It was Halloween and I got kids...anyway, now that you've solved your problem, let's discuss how to avoid it in the future. I suggest:

When using apt-get, always do "dist-upgrade" not "upgrade". dist-upgrade allows apt-get to remove packages no longer needed when upgrading some package. "apt" (an alternate for apt-get) uses "upgrade" and "full-upgrade". It performs the same functions as apt-get, but "full-upgrade" makes more sense to some people. dist-upgrade is often confused with "do-release-upgrade" which will upgrade your install to the next version. BTW< for whoever said 14.04 doesn't have "apt", yes it does. I run 14.04 on my server and I use "apt" a couple time a week on it. If you're more comfortable with Muon instead of the terminal, check the "Installed - removable" tab once in a while.

Keep two kernels, but no more.
                            Anytime you see a new kernel get installed, follow it by removing the oldest version. If I remember correctly, 14.04 does have issues with the auto-remove function, so you'll want to keep an eye on what you're removing when it comes to kernels if you use auto-remove. Sometimes, it will auto-remove all the older kernels and leave you with just one. That's not the end of the world, but it's safer to have at least one alternate kernel to boot to in case a new one causes you issues or gets corrupted somehow.

Check your drive space occasionally. Get into a routine where once in a while you do some basic housekeeping. Remove programs you no longer want, do your dist-upgrade, and check your free space. Some people keep a conky set-up or a widget on the desktop that shows you available space. Since you're using a small-ish partition, this is even more important.

Glad you got it worked out.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by logan01 View Post
                              A bit odd. "Searching" muon against "linux-headers" includes the 17+ 3 series If I have selected "installed" on the left. If I select Installed (auto-removable), the only thing that shows up are two headers for 4.4.0-97.
                              I would just manually remove them using Muon at this point. As I said above, 14.04 has occasional auto-remove issues and you want to keep at least two bootable kernels and their associated files.

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok. I'll do you first followed by GG's recommendation. Thanks for all.
                                HP15 -

Comment

Working...
                                X