Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

install kubuntu 13.10 with nvidia video card ..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rookie1337 View Post
    The modification was some messing around with preload and vmtouch.
    Neither preload nor vmtouch modify the kernel directly, so these shouldn't affect your upgrade.

Originally posted by Rookie1337 View Post
    So...what are my choices if the upgrade from Muon doesn't work? I get something about incompatible sources.
    Don't use Muon for upgrading a release. Do it at the command line:
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade

Comment

Alright. Doing it from a TTY got it done though it did complain at length about my source (repos). So, I used the Muon GUI to remove all the sources that it had disabled during the update and everything seems to be working perfectly right now....but I've lost the Steam repo from Valve that comes with the deb installer along with uncertainty as to whether I'm clear for just adding the Xswat repo again. Again Steve you've been a really big help with this and I appreciate that.

PS: I feel bad for somewhat side tracking this thread but since I still can't confirm what the conflict was I'm going to assume it was both the Nvidia GPU and that launchpad bug with multiple drives that made it impossible for me to do a fresh install. I sure hope they fix that by the time 14.04 comes around.

Comment

There are more current versions of nVidia drivers in the Xorg-Edgers PPA. I'm using it now, works great.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          There are more current versions of nVidia drivers in the Xorg-Edgers PPA. I'm using it now, works great.
          @steve
          RE this thread:

I've just done an CD install of Kubuntu 13.04 on my Dell Latitude D820, bottom line, it works, meaning that the video driver works.

I tried the online upgrade to Kubuntu 13.10, which fails due to a slow net connection.

Then I tried to install Kubuntu 13.10, from Live CD, as a full, new install... Video fails during the stall process, in manner described by the OP.

THEN I tried to install 14.04 BETA 1 and 2, full, new install from CD... Same failure of the video during the install process.

So my current situation is that I'm stuck with 13.04, which does work, but in out-of-support.

RE your comment about this video problem being fixed in 14.04, I don't think it has been solved.

RE newer drivers from Xorg-Edgers PPA, I don't see how this is accessible during an install. Can you offer any suggestions about making those drivers visible to the installer?
          Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Feb 08, 2014, 09:18 AM. Reason: spelling
          Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Have you tried the various suggestions in this thread?

Xorg-Edgers is a PPA in Launchpad and can only be installed after the base system is built.

Also: please see post #9 in this thread: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?64676
            Last edited by SteveRiley; Feb 07, 2014, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the pointer, I'll try this later today and get back with results.
              Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
              X