Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

install kubuntu 13.10 with nvidia video card ..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

install kubuntu 13.10 with nvidia video card ..

Hi folks there !

Have you noticed the next problem with kubuntu 13.10 installer:

simply the screen gets garbled when the installer starts up loading kde (really this issue has began with 13.10 kubuntu edition. This happens with computers equipped with nvidia video cards. In kubuntu 13.10 i could solve it by workingaround the issue and ran the terminal and give the command:

$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-304

and switck back to the garbled screen (kde) and log out the log on again. But i would ask the simple question why the kubuntu development team solve this issue by giving us text-based installer as alternative to the weak gui installer, that does not function with nvidia cards. It seems that since canonical have abandoned kubuntu, xubuntu. lubuntu supporting, the kubuntu developers have to rely on the community and keep in mind the the frustration is the only thing that has kept the people away from linux and could not allure the newbies to taste the freedom and independence of the FOSS. Maybe the simplicity of the installer of any distro is the most important thing to prove that linux is trustworthy and decent operating system (for me it is more than operating system, it is culture). Once canonical have abandoned us, but i believe that kubuntu free developers WILL NEVER DO THAT with kubuntu fans (just think about the ubuntu installer, it is fast and clear, no matter what video card you have, it handles this very well). Hopefully this would be changed sooner. I appreciate your hard work. Thanks in advance.

Dubish Fahd
    Budapest, nov. 03, 13

I have had some luck with starting install and after a couple of steps press the quit button and get back to a screen similar to the original but not maximized. Then when I go back into install the graaphics are useable.

Comment

I had the same problem.

For the installer I had click "Try First" then disable the effects and it installed just fine until I got everything up, I could not get past the login in screen, so I had to install my Nvidia driver using the terminal "Ctrl+Alt+F2"..
      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by dubish View Post
        But i would ask the simple question why the kubuntu development team solve this issue by giving us text-based installer as alternative to the weak gui installer
        It was more of a decision made by Ubuntu to eliminate the alternate install image. I wrote a quick how-to with a bit of background info and a procedure for using the server install image as a means of performing a command-line installation. TBH, I agree with you: Ubiquity is poor, and seems to be getting worse.

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?64088

Comment

Could someone explain how to even get to the GUI installer point because on my Nvidia based machine it crashes into a non-functioning busybox just loading the iso. Non-functioning as in the keyboard and mouse don't work. And its not the image/iso being an issue as on my Intel laptop it is able to load without a problem. At this point I'm almost tempted to grab the mini iso from ubuntu and just try installing kubuntu-desktop but I'm sure that isn't going to get me the right packages, correct?

Comment

The mini ISO cannot properly configure UEFI boot on machines equipped with UEFI. For this reason, I recommend using the Ubuntu Server ISO to build a base text-mode system, then installing the Kubuntu desktop. This procedure uses the full Debian installer, a much better tool than the graphical Ubiquity installer present on all *buntu live ISOs.

See the my how-to post: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?64088

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              The mini ISO cannot properly configure UEFI boot on machines equipped with UEFI. For this reason, I recommend using the Ubuntu Server ISO to build a base text-mode system, then installing the Kubuntu desktop. This procedure uses the full Debian installer, a much better tool than the graphical Ubiquity installer present on all *buntu live ISOs.

See the my how-to post: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?64088
              So, if my hardware predates UEFI (IE my mobo is BIOS only) as long as I install kubuntu-desktop from the mini iso I should be fine? I have the mini iso ready and I'm familiar with it and that's why I'm wanting to use it.

Comment

Sure. The mini ISO also uses the Debian installer.

Comment

Sure. The mini ISO also uses the Debian installer.
                  So...what does it mean if my Nvidia card prevents your method (server image) and my method (mini iso) from working either? The card works in Kubuntu 13.04, and I can get it to work with a Bodhi (3.8 kernel as well) live image/installer...so is there some bug in the 3.11 kernel someone forgot to mention? I'm just not having luck this time around.

And yes I've checked the images and they boot fine on my non-Nvidia computers. So...I'm scratching my head now.

Thanks so far Steve.

PS: When I say crash I mean all 13.10 installers (kernel 3.11) freeze and refuse any keyboard input. At least with the mini/server I get an install screen to display but that's it.
                  Last edited by Rookie1337; Dec 15, 2013, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Well, it means that we have to get more creative. Tell us more about this machine you can't get to boot. If it's a laptop, what brand and model? If a desktop or tower, what motherboard and graphics card?

Also, take a look at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1241589. If you try the procedure in comment #17, can you at least get the machine to boot the mini ISO or a live USB?

Comment

Well, it means that we have to get more creative. Tell us more about this machine you can't get to boot. If it's a laptop, what brand and model? If a desktop or tower, what motherboard and graphics card?

Also, take a look at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1241589. If you try the procedure in comment #17, can you at least get the machine to boot the mini ISO or a live USB?
                      I can not get anything based on 13.10 mini,server, or normal to avoid crashing on the first screen it tries to display; even without a single HDD/SSD connected. Whoever made the recent iso needs to get a scolding and ordered to fix this as there's no excuse for this. Now that I've vented...I'm wondering what else can be done besides pulling my GPU (which I REALLY rather not) and seeing if it was the issue the whole time. I can't understand why anything based on 13.04 or earlier works fine but 13.10 is a disaster. I'm almost tempted to do something I know is a bad idea and go for an upgrade within my working 13.04 but fear it will do more harm than good especially on my SSD.

A random thought...could it be that I have too many USB devices connected? IE a webcam, a wifi AP, my keyboard and mouse? I really want to get 13.10 working on my desktop because of all the changes but this install fiasco is really disappointing.

Comment

Well, at least you aren't suffering from that Launchpad bug.

Try booting the mini ISO with the added kernel parameter nomodeset. This will disable the nouveau driver and force the machine into generic framebuffer. Let's see if you can at least get something going this way. If this works, then we can get your system up and running, and finally install the nVidia binary driver. Something in your machine just doesn't like nouveau, I think.

A fallback position for you would be to install Raring, then do-release-upgrade to Saucy. My current laptop has gone Precise-Quantal-Raring-Saucy via that route and it's been working just fine.

Comment

Well, at least you aren't suffering from that Launchpad bug.

Try booting the mini ISO with the added kernel parameter nomodeset. This will disable the nouveau driver and force the machine into generic framebuffer. Let's see if you can at least get something going this way. If this works, then we can get your system up and running, and finally install the nVidia binary driver. Something in your machine just doesn't like nouveau, I think.

A fallback position for you would be to install Raring, then do-release-upgrade to Saucy. My current laptop has gone Precise-Quantal-Raring-Saucy via that route and it's been working just fine.
                          I'm going to be unable to try it out on the computer in question but how would I pass the nomodeset to the mini iso before it boots? Also, would it matter that adding that parameter to the regular iso didn't work? I'm still thinking it may be related to that launchpad bug but maybe I'm so cursed its a combo of the launchpad bug and the nvidia one.

I also wanted to do a fresh install because there are probably things that I had messed around with during the summer that I don't want to carry over like some testing on kernel level caching controls along with other configs...would the upgrade erase enough of those settings? PS: It is best to initiate the upgrade from a TTY and not in an active x/kde session right?

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie1337 View Post
                            would it matter that adding that parameter to the regular iso didn't work?
                            If you added it to the regular ISO and booting failed, then it would also fail on the mini ISO.

like some testing on kernel level caching controls along with other configs...would the upgrade erase enough of those settings?
                            Describe this a bit more -- not sure what you're referring to.

It is best to initiate the upgrade from a TTY and not in an active x/kde session right?
                            I've always done it in a KDE Konsole window -- never had a problem.

Comment

The modification was some messing around with preload and vmtouch.

So...what are my choices if the upgrade from Muon doesn't work? I get something about incompatible sources.

Comment

Working...
                              X