X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't even get it to start LiveCd

Operating System

System Model
    Windows 8.1 Professional (x64) (build 9600)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States)
    Installed: 10/18/2013 3:24:03 PM
    Boot Mode: BIOS (Secure Boot not supported)
    Enclosure Type: Desktop
    VGA: HD4800
    Processor a
    Main Circuit Board b
    2.80 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
    768 kilobyte primary memory cache
    3072 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (6 total)
    Not hyper-threaded
    Board: 890FXA-GD70 (MS-7640) 1.0
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V1.15 10/31/2012
    Drives
    Memory Modules c,d
    4142.99 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    2957.36 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ASUS DRW-24B1ST a ATA Device [Optical drive]

8192 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Cannot get any form of Linux to install or run LiveCD on the above computer. It is not a bad install copy for I have installed it on my old MSI L715 notebook (removed Windows) and another desktop with MSI 790FX-GD70 motherboard (Dual Boot Windows 8.1). After installing on the 790FX board I thought the main difference was the VGA so I swap VGA adaptors still have same problem of can't even run LiveCD much less install Kubuntu. I also get same results with Linux Mint 13.10 and Ubuntu 13.10. All drivers and BIOS are up to date. Called MSI and they were no help.
    Here is what happens:
    Insert Kubuntu disk into DVD and restart computor. After a few seconds get a screen with keyboard icon and circle icon. Click on Backspace Key and get a screen with Kubuntu and logo in large letters. Below is the following choices:
    Start Kubuntu
    Check disc for defects
    Test Memory
    Boot from first hard drive
    At bottom of screen is F1 through F6 all with text.
    “Start Kubuntu” is highlighted and I click “Enter” DVD drive light starts blinking for about 8 seconds then Blank Black Screen with blinking cursor.
    I receive no error messages it just hangs up and goes no further.

Can anyone give me some help here?

Flying from memory here...

If you press F6, do you see a nomodeset option? Perhaps it's under one of the other function keys. Look for that option, select it, and then proceed with installation.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Flying from memory here...

If you press F6, do you see a nomodeset option? Perhaps it's under one of the other function keys. Look for that option, select it, and then proceed with installation.
      I have tried that and it does not work. I have also tried inserting after splash nomodeset=0 and several others and nothing works. I also made a USB and before the blank screen appears it will run a lot of to me unknown code (too much to copy) then finally blank screen. I have also pulled all my drives and just try to run LiveCD still does not work. I think there is something about this motherboard that is causing the issue. I have also tried this with Windows 7 pro 64 installed.

Can I do this?
      pull out the drive that I want to have Kubuntu installed on and put it in the other computer and install it. Then put drive back in my computer boot into windows open EasyBCD and add to boot disk?

Comment

Originally posted by EZorb View Post
        I have tried that and it does not work. I have also tried inserting after splash nomodeset=0 and several others and nothing works. I also made a USB and before the blank screen appears it will run a lot of to me unknown code (too much to copy) then finally blank screen. I have also pulled all my drives and just try to run LiveCD still does not work. I think there is something about this motherboard that is causing the issue. I have also tried this with Windows 7 pro 64 installed.
        My suspicion is that it's your graphics card. It may simply not work with the included version of the Radeon drivers. Try this:

1. Boot the machine
        2. Edit the kernel parameters the same way you added modeset=0
        3. Remove splash quiet from inside the quotes
        4. Add modprobe.blacklist=radeon,radeonfb inside the quotes

This will prohibit the Radeon driver from loading. Instead, the generic framebuffer driver will load. Does this help get you any farther into the boot process?

Originally posted by EZorb View Post
        Can I do this? pull out the drive that I want to have Kubuntu installed on and put it in the other computer and install it. Then put drive back in my computer boot into windows open EasyBCD and add to boot disk?
        Sure, but will it work? I don't know.

Comment

My suspicion is that it's your graphics card. It may simply not work with the included version of the Radeon drivers. Try this:

1. Boot the machine
          2. Edit the kernel parameters the same way you added modeset=0
          3. Remove splash quiet from inside the quotes
          4. Add modprobe.blacklist=radeon,radeonfb inside the quotes

This will prohibit the Radeon driver from loading. Instead, the generic framebuffer driver will load. Does this help get you any farther into the boot process?

Sure, but will it work? I don't know.
          Now I am lost:
          When I get to the page where I click on F6 here is what is listed out:
          BootOptions n/preseed/kubuntu.seed boot-casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz splash -- (I think I type this correctly anyway pretty close)

Where is splash quite inside the quotes? I was just adding "modeset=0" right after the word "splash" in the above.

This graphics card I removed from the other computer that I got Kubuntu to install on with latest drivers from AMD.

Comment

Ah, I was thinking of something different.

Let's try the F6 method first. Remove splash and add modprobe.blacklist=radeon,radeonfb. What happens?

Comment

Let's try the F6 method first. Remove splash and add modprobe.blacklist=radeon,radeonfb. What happens?
              The same old thing. I have a screen shot saved to my desktop but don't know how to attached to the post.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140205_142750.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	640644Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140205_142750.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	640644

Comment

Hi SteveRiley,

Finally got it to install with your above help:
                  Here is what I found. I burned a CD with the Linux drivers for the VGA adapter. I click on the F4 (F that allowed to insert drivers) and then F6. I added a space + "modprobe.blacklist=radeon,radeonfb" after the 2 dashes (--). Then click on "Enter" after a few seconds I had a desk top showing the numbers 13.10 with dots under. after a few min. DVD drive door opened and wanted me to reinstall disk. After that got main menu and selected to Install. It installed without any problem.

Thanks
                  Larry
                  Last edited by EZorb; Feb 06, 2014, 12:30 AM.

Comment

You could probably have skipped the F4 step. Anyway...glad you got it working.

Comment

Working...
                    X