Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRUB_TERMINAL=console was not in the file either, so I added it. This is the the file with that added.

Code:
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=''
    GRUB_TERMINAL=console
    Same result, black screen and stall with these changes and default boot. Recovery mode with the nomodeset line boots to terminal. startx brings up desktop but still no OpenGL.
    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
    Always consider Occam's Razor
    Rich

Comment

Wow. So even in pure text mode, your computer cannot boot if the kernel tries to load i915. That's terrible. What kind of new laptop is this? I suggest you return it for something that works better with Linux. FWIW, my two ThinkPads are great.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        Wow. So even in pure text mode, your computer cannot boot if the kernel tries to load i915. That's terrible. What kind of new laptop is this? I suggest you return it for something that works better with Linux. FWIW, my two ThinkPads are great.
        Acer V5-572G. Unfortunately bought through Amazon with a return policy only if defective. I can argue that point with them but will most likely give it as a gift to a relative who uses Windows. Or keep it. I lose 3 desktop effects that I want to use with xrender, and it performs the others quite quickly.

Lesson learned, look before you leap.

By the way I tried sgfxi and the error message was that there was no driver for the kernel I was using. I also tried the latest xorg packages from the edger ppa.
        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
        Rich

Comment

Just for grins I booted from the LiveDVD. Guess what, OpenGL is active.
          Rich

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
            Just for grins I booted from the LiveDVD. Guess what, OpenGL is active.
            What! <headdesk> I don't get that.

What's the output of
            Code:
            lspci -k
            Also, try running that inxi command. You should be able to copy the binary to your USB and run it from there.

While you're at it, let's see the /var/log/Xorg.0.log, too.

Comment

I see the difference in the GLX renderer.
              Not sure why when installed it changes it.
              Code:
              [B] Installation[/B]

richard@richard-Aspire-V5-572G:~$ inxi -xxG
              Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
                         X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: vesa,intel (unloaded: fbdev) Resolution: 1368x768@0.0hz 
                         GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.2, 256 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes

[B]LiveUSB[/B]

kubuntu@kubuntu:~$ inxi -xxG
              Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
                         X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
                         GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.1.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
              xorg log

http://pastebin.com/VBCj0JiD
              Rich

Comment

Would you please first remove /etc/init/lightdm.override, delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf if it exists, and boot without nomodeset. This will generate a /var/log/Xorg.0.log with errors (your previous one many posts ago has stuff from your xorg.conf that I would prefer not be there). I am aware booting will fail -- that's fine.

The reboot, supplying nomodeset so you can get the machine up. Then please upload, to pastebin, the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old. This is the log of the failed boot. I want to compare it to the log of the LiveDVD boot.

Comment

There is no /etc/init/lightdm.override file, and since I reinstalled no xorg.conf file. Essentially I started fresh again. the link to the failed xorg log below.

http://pastebin.com/VyaKnuz9
                  Rich

Comment

The only significant difference is that on the live DVD, X is printing DCC-gathered modelines. It's the same one repeated several times. Curiously, this modeline is already listed as successfully probed near the top of both logs.

Oshunluvr, one of our members, has some decent experience with configuring modelines. I hope he sees this thread -- he may have something to offer.

Comment

The only significant difference is that on the live DVD, X is printing DCC-gathered modelines. It's the same one repeated several times. Curiously, this modeline is already listed as successfully probed near the top of both logs.

Oshunluvr, one of our members, has some decent experience with configuring modelines. I hope he sees this thread -- he may have something to offer.
                      Thanks. I thought I saw successful loading of DRI2 in the LiveDVD output and not in the "problem" output. Modelines may be on the right track. I did some research, Google, on them before your post, but could not come to any conclusions.

EDIT: I have discovered that adding acpi=off to the grub boot line corrects the problem. No black screen and OpenGL is enabled. I am not sure this is a good way to run.

EDIT2: That is less acceptable than no OpenGL. as it disables power saving, hibernation and suspend. Not to cool for a laptop. Googling seems to indicate this is a common problem with Intel graphics and later kernels.
                      Last edited by richb; Aug 18, 2013, 05:34 PM.
                      Rich

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
                        EDIT: I have discovered that adding acpi=off to the grub boot line corrects the problem. No black screen and OpenGL is enabled. I am not sure this is a good way to run.

EDIT2: That is less acceptable than no OpenGL. as it disables power saving, hibernation and suspend. Not to cool for a laptop. Googling seems to indicate this is a common problem with Intel graphics and later kernels.
                        Disabling ACPI these days is never the right solution. You might try other kernel parameters. Long shot: see what nox2apic might do for you. My nVidia-equipped ThinkPad needs it or booting fails after the initrd phase. I realize your machine is operating through the Intel graphics, but maybe nVidia wonkiness is affecting it.

You might also try blacklisting the i915 module from the kernel and creating an xorg.conf that forcibly loads the nVidia driver in X.

Or you could return that laptop in exchange for something else.

Comment

Disabling ACPI these days is never the right solution. You might try other kernel parameters. Long shot: see what nox2apic might do for you. My nVidia-equipped ThinkPad needs it or booting fails after the initrd phase. I realize your machine is operating through the Intel graphics, but maybe nVidia wonkiness is affecting it.

You might also try blacklisting the i915 module from the kernel and creating an xorg.conf that forcibly loads the nVidia driver in X.

Or you could return that laptop in exchange for something else.
                          I will try the first 2. I bought through Amazon and they have fairly restrictive return policies.
                          BTW I did install bumblebee. Of course it does not help with Desktop effects, but apps can use the Nvidia card and the accelerated graphics.

EDIT: No change with the i915 blacklisting or nox2apic.
                          Last edited by richb; Sep 07, 2013, 05:08 AM.
                          Rich

Comment

Wow, I'm sorry. I thought Amazon's policies were pretty lenient?

Comment

Wow, I'm sorry. I thought Amazon's policies were pretty lenient?
                              "Amazon.com doesn't accept returns of the following items:
                              Computer laptops, desktops, and Kindles more than 30 days after delivery."

Unfortunately I was trying to get it to work during that 30 day period. I thought I could eventually solve the issue. I waited too long. My error.
                              I could approach Acer directly, but they also have a 30 day return policy, and I think I would have an uphill battle on a return because it does not fully support Linux. They make no claim that it does.

On the bright side, except for those desktop effects not working the system is quite fast and really a nice laptop in all other respects.

PS. Bumblebee does allow me to run applications in OpenGL, and some of the effects I use most do work well and fast, (desktop switching via screen edges for example)..

Perhaps future kernel upgrades will solve the problem, or nVidia development will. Anxious to try the 3.11 kernel when available. I am currently using 3.10.9.
                              Rich

Comment

At some point, Bumblebee will become mature. While I haven't watched it too closely, development seems to remain active and interest is high.

Comment

Working...
                                X