This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boots only in Recovery Mode

Just installed 13.04 on a new laptop. I have been using it on an older laptop since release. It will only boot in recovery mode. Repairing grub does nothing, simply resuming boot from recovery boots the machine.

It has an nVidia Optimus GEforce 720M discrete graphics board. But when booted it appears the integrated board is in control. There is no bios option to switch graphics boards. I am not sure this is the reason for only a recovery mode boot, but may be related.
    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
    Always consider Occam's Razor
    Rich

What kind of laptop?

Do you have to press a key to force recovery mode, or does the boot automatically land there?

In recovery mode, what's the output of the lsmod command?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      What kind of laptop?

Do you have to press a key to force recovery mode, or does the boot automatically land there?

In recovery mode, what's the output of the lsmod command?
      It is an Acer V5-572G-6679.
      I have to choose recovery mode from the Grub menu

Code:
       richard@richard-Aspire-V5-572G:~$ lsmodModule                  Size  Used by
      pci_stub               12622  1 
      vboxpci                23194  0 
      vboxnetadp             25670  0 
      vboxnetflt             27613  0 
      vboxdrv               320461  3 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt,vboxpci
      parport_pc             28152  0 
      ppdev                  17073  0 
      rfcomm                 42641  16 
      bnep                   18036  2 
      lp                     17759  0 
      parport                46345  3 lp,ppdev,parport_pc
      snd_hda_codec_hdmi     36913  1 
      snd_hda_codec_realtek    78399  1 
      snd_hda_intel          39619  3 
      snd_hda_codec         136453  3 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel
      snd_hwdep              13602  1 snd_hda_codec
      snd_pcm                97451  3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
      snd_page_alloc         18710  2 snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel
      snd_seq_midi           13324  0 
      snd_seq_midi_event     14899  1 snd_seq_midi
      uvcvideo               80847  0 
      videobuf2_vmalloc      13056  1 uvcvideo
      videobuf2_memops       13202  1 videobuf2_vmalloc
      snd_rawmidi            30180  1 snd_seq_midi
      videobuf2_core         40513  1 uvcvideo
      snd_seq                61554  2 snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_midi
      coretemp               13355  0 
      videodev              129260  2 uvcvideo,videobuf2_core
      arc4                   12615  2 
      ath9k                 149924  0 
      snd_seq_device         14497  3 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_midi
      kvm_intel             132891  0 
      ath9k_common           14055  1 ath9k
      snd_timer              29425  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
      kvm                   443165  1 kvm_intel
      ath9k_hw              413629  2 ath9k_common,ath9k
      snd                    68876  16 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_device
      soundcore              12680  1 snd
      ath                    23827  3 ath9k_common,ath9k,ath9k_hw
      ghash_clmulni_intel    13259  0 
      mac80211              606457  1 ath9k
      aesni_intel            55399  2 
      acer_wmi               32467  0 
      cfg80211              510937  3 ath,ath9k,mac80211
      joydev                 17377  0 
      aes_x86_64             17255  1 aesni_intel
      xts                    12885  1 aesni_intel
      lrw                    13257  1 aesni_intel
      gf128mul               14951  2 lrw,xts
      ablk_helper            13597  1 aesni_intel
      cryptd                 20373  3 ghash_clmulni_intel,aesni_intel,ablk_helper
      sparse_keymap          13890  1 acer_wmi
      microcode              22881  0 
      mac_hid                13205  0 
      ath3k                  12918  0 
      btusb                  22474  0 
      mei                    41158  0 
      lpc_ich                17061  0 
      psmouse                95870  0 
      bluetooth             228667  23 bnep,ath3k,btusb,rfcomm
      serio_raw              13215  0 
      hid_generic            12540  0 
      usbhid                 47074  0 
      hid                   101002  2 hid_generic,usbhid
      i915                  600396  0 
      r8169                  67466  0 
      nouveau               943184  0 
      mxm_wmi                13021  1 nouveau
      wmi                    19070  3 acer_wmi,mxm_wmi,nouveau
      ttm                    83187  1 nouveau
      video                  19390  3 i915,acer_wmi,nouveau
      i2c_algo_bit           13413  2 i915,nouveau
      ahci                   25731  2 
      drm_kms_helper         49394  2 i915,nouveau
      libahci                31364  1 ahci
      drm                   286028  4 ttm,i915,drm_kms_helper,nouveau
      The other strange thing is when I installed I had the installer use the whole drive. It created the root partition with /home in it with mount point root, a swap partition and another large partition with all the same files as root but no home and designated boot
      Attached Files
      Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
      Rich

Comment

Both the i915 and the nouveau modules are loading, which means the kernel is detecting both graphics systems. In such cases, the Intel graphics will be the one that drives your display. Since you can't change this in the computer's firmware, you are going to either have to:

(a) live with it, which includes a short battery life since the nVidia chip will always be powered up even though it's doing nothing
        (b) teach yourself how to use Bumblebee so that you can get switchable graphics operating correctly (this will help your battery life, too)
        (c) return the laptop for another one that gives you more control

I'm not sure why your computer won't boot normally. Maybe you could blacklist the nouveau module and see what happens? I'd recommend regenerating your initramfs after you do this.

Originally posted by richb View Post
        The other strange thing is when I installed I had the installer use the whole drive. It created the root partition with /home in it with mount point root, a swap partition and another large partition with all the same files as root but no home and designated boot
        What you have looks a little weird, yeah. Was this a completely blank drive when you started? I don't understand why the installer would have made this kind of partitioning decision. You have a 234 GB primary partition and a 232 GB extended partition. Inside this extended partition are two logical partitions. One contains your root file system and the other is swap. And did I read you correctly -- /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda6 contain the same files? Because in your output, they show different amounts of space used.

Comment

They appear to have the same root file system, but home is not in /dev/sda1. I did not check every directory but it is populated with root files. As far as the Intel driver I have no problem with it and generally use the laptop connected to the power source. I have tried Bumblebee in the past, and now how to use it. Each application has to be started with the optirun prefix. I will try blacklisting the Nouveau driver. The main issues for me are the recovery boot, a minor annoyance, and the wasted drive space.
          I may blow the system away and pre-partition with root, home and swap and install manually.
          Rich

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
            I may blow the system away and pre-partition with root, home and swap and install manually.
            May I recommend that you just go ahead and do that? I'm increasingly of the opinion that the Ubiquity installer is just no good. It really isn't a Kubuntu thing anyway; it's all code inherited from Ubuntu. The Kubuntu version just implements it in Qt rather than Gtk.

Comment

I will do that and keep you posted.

I did attempt to blaclist the nouveau driver but it does not seem to take. I added "blacklist nouveau" in the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file.
              Rich

Comment

I added nomodeset to the grub boot line. The system now boots without going to an explicit recovery mode. However all I have done is to duplicate the recovery mode options in the default boot stanza.
                Rich

Comment

You might have to recompile the initrd image without nouveau. Also try modeset=0 instead of nomodeset.

What now does
                  Code:
                  lsmod | grep nouveau
                  result in.
                  Boot Info Script

Comment

Thanks. modeset=0 returns to a situation in that I must use the recovery mode to boot. nomodeset allows a boot.
                    Rebuilding the initrd image did remove the nouveau driver. No difference in that I can detect in performance. But it was superfluous in any case.
                    Rich

Comment

Most nVidia-equipped laptops don't need nomodeset anymore. It appears yours does.

My T520 with nVidia 4200M requires an even more obscure parameter: nox2apic. This is apparently unique to certain nVidia-equipped ThinkPads. Thank $DEITY for Google, huh?

Comment

Thanks Steve. Everything is working quite well except for the odd partitioning. The only other issue is with the Intel graphics OpenGL cannot be used. Not a big deal for me. It is odd because on my older Optimus laptop the i915 driver, I guess it is a mesa driver, did support OpenGL. For a while that is. Updates killed that along the way at some time as will.
                        Rich

Comment

Hm. What tests are you running to determine this?

Comment

In system settings enabling OpenGL reverts to xrender. But Glxinfo shows this, (partial output as it is quite long). So I concluded OpenGL is enabled on the sytem but KDE is not using it.

Code:
                              richard@richard-Aspire-V5-572G:~$ glxinfoname of display: :0
                            display: :0  screen: 0
                            direct rendering: Yes
                            server glx vendor string: SGI
                            server glx version string: 1.4
                            server glx extensions:
                                GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, 
                                GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_OML_swap_method, 
                                GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, 
                                GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
                            client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
                            client glx version string: 1.4
                            client glx extensions:
                                GLX_ARB_create_context, GLX_ARB_create_context_profile, 
                                GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness, GLX_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, 
                                GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, 
                                GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, 
                                GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, 
                                GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_swap_control, 
                                GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_OML_sync_control, GLX_SGI_make_current_read, 
                                GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGIS_multisample, 
                                GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, 
                                GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_INTEL_swap_event
                            GLX version: 1.4
                            GLX extensions:
                                GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, 
                                GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, 
                                GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_OML_swap_method, 
                                GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, 
                                GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
                            OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
                            OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.2, 256 bits)
                            OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.3
                            OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
                            Last edited by richb; Aug 09, 2013, 04:05 AM.
                            Rich

Comment

Before I write anything else... please post the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Comment

Working...
                              X