This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    And these people are who? lol Seriously though, who are they?

Originally posted by gnomek View Post
    I was wondering if it would be possible to develop kind of support for Firefox themes, or a way to theme Firefox on KDE somehow independently? I mean Firefox versions change frequently so something more independent would be great.
    I wish I could use Foxdie (Camino or Safari 3) theme in KDE but would be great to have a simple tool to configure it (or other themes) so that it can work regardless of official themes and Firefox versions. I am thinking about something like a new category - like Firefox KDE skins/themes.
    http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post304989

Of course even better solution would be to integrate Gtk applications more with KDE (at least menu bar and toolbar/iconbar), so that they could use KDE theme engines, but I realize that this is not that simple.
    Despite the fast release schedule, most add ons(and maybe themes to) still work fine. You can go to about:config and toggle add on compatibility checking, or simply grab the XPI file, open it(not extract it) in winrar(I assume Ark will work in the case of linux/KDE). Open the rdf file(I think) in something like Kate, and alter the max version as needed. In worst case scenario, if something goes wrong, you just need to launch firefox in safe mode to disable your add ons. then reenable all but the hacked add on.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
      And these people are who? lol Seriously though, who are they?
      You could:

* click their names and view their Launchpad profiles
      * Google their real names and see what comes up

They be famous folk in Kubuntu-land

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        You could:

1. click their names and view their Launchpad profiles
        2. Google their real names and see what comes up

They be famous folk in Kubuntu-land
        1. No offense but have you checked there profiles? Just sayin..
        Harald Sitter - "Ubuntu MOTU, Core Developer and Kubuntu Ninja." I guess he works for Canonical? Maybe he was one of the few guys from Canonical that worked on Kubuntu.
        Jonathan Riddell - "Kubuntu Developer" Officially or Unofficially? To some people they might consider me a developer. Hacker is probably a more accurate word, but it has a negative stereotype for obvious reasons.
        Rohan Garg and Starbuck - No description

2. Try googleing Starbuck. Something tells me Starbucks Coffe is irrelevant here lol. The others, well still requires a little digging. Can't say I am that desperate to find out.
        Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Jonathan Riddel (personal blog, KDE blog) is the person who Canonical used to employ full-time to maintain Kubuntu. When Canonical decided that Kubuntu would be treated like the other official *buntu flavors, Jonathan learned he would be assigned to other tasks. Subsequently he was hired by Blue Systems to work full-time on Kubuntu. Jonathan is one of six members of the Kubuntu Council.

Harald Sitter (blog), another Kubuntu Council member, is part of the team of community members (the MOTU) who maintain Ubuntu's Universe and Multiverse repositories, which is where Kubuntu is housed. Harald contributes to a wealth of the packages that comprise Kubuntu. Harald is employed by Blue Systems.

Rohan Garg (blog, wiki) is an active member of the Kubuntu developer community, working on a number of contributions that will appear in Quantal. Rohan is employed by Blue Systems to work full-time on Kubuntu.

Starbuck is Clemens Toennies, also of Blue Systems. He spends much time on Netrunner OS, Blue's other large KDE-based project (which itself is derived from Kubuntu).

These are just four of the many people who pour countless hours into making Kubuntu the wonderful operating system it is. I think knowing a little about about the folks behind our favorite distro is a useful thing.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            O 4311 guess I'll give it a whirl ......if I just add the PPA and upgrade will it pull it in and keep my passwords and bookmarks and such ?
            will lava fox blue still be good?

VINNY
            Yes, personal settings should be kept.
            lava fox blue depends if it is supported by 14.0.1.
            Kubuntu-based Distro: http://www.netrunner-os.com

Comment

Originally posted by pauly View Post
              You can use foxdie. Just install checkcompatability addon for firefox, enable the addon. Download the acefoxdie windows version and isntall it. It works without issue.
              Actually I found only foxdie not acefoxdie, but this method works just fine. Thank you.
              Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
              Despite the fast release schedule, most add ons(and maybe themes to) still work fine. You can go to about:config and toggle add on compatibility checking, or simply grab the XPI file, open it(not extract it) in winrar(I assume Ark will work in the case of linux/KDE). Open the rdf file(I think) in something like Kate, and alter the max version as needed. In worst case scenario, if something goes wrong, you just need to launch firefox in safe mode to disable your add ons. then reenable all but the hacked add on.
              Good to know. Thank you.

I was dreaming of something similar to how qt4-qtconfig works for qt apps, that would force all gtk applications to use diffrent KDE themes (not only Oxygen).

Comment

Originally posted by starbuck View Post
                Yes, personal settings should be kept.
                lava fox blue depends if it is supported by 14.0.1.
                yes it worked just great (lava fox)
                Thank you for the reply

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Starbuck is Clemens Toennies
                  Isn't this the guy that own's Blue Systems? He also is a meat tycoon, and also owns a soccer team. Quite interesting. Blue Systems is something of a mystery. There does not seem to be much info on them, and they don't have any apparent business direction outside of sponsoring different KDE related projects.

Maybe he is just a really wealthy dude who digs hacking on KDE in his spare time?

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
                    Isn't this the guy that own's Blue Systems? He also is a meat tycoon, and also owns a soccer team. Quite interesting. Blue Systems is something of a mystery. There does not seem to be much info on them, and they don't have any apparent business direction outside of sponsoring different KDE related projects.
                    What? Search for his name and you'll get 40K listings explaining just about everything about him, Blue Systems and the Netrunner OS. Add "Kubuntu" to the search and you'll get 20K listings.

http://lwn.net/Articles/495551/
                    Netrunner is an Kubuntu-based distribution with a focus on desktop computing. It boasts a carefully tuned KDE 4 desktop with many integrated GNOME applications to offer users a selected mix of popular and powerful programs
                    Maybe he is just a really wealthy dude who digs hacking on KDE in his spare time?
                    Undoubtedly he is, but I'm thankful that he is community minded and did pickup the financial support for our favorite distro! While I've volunteered in the past on various Kubuntu things I, and probably you, don't have the financial clout to support two developers and the infrastructure necessary to produce a high quality distro.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by sumski View Post
                      I suggest to add browser-css.patch, it make awesome bar more nice:
                      Hey sumski,
                      how about you be part of the team so you could add code-things and help with the maintanance?

On Launchpad it's no problem, and for github, just let me know if you have a profile there.
                      Last edited by starbuck; Aug 01, 2012, 04:44 AM.
                      Kubuntu-based Distro: http://www.netrunner-os.com

Comment

I just found out the new official PPA, but I'd like to know... How can I do this with the official PPA?

Originally posted by Mr_Bumpy View Post
                        If you would like to only receive Firefox updates from sumski's PPA, thereby avoiding Ubuntu's Firefox package being installed over the KDE-patched version:
                        1) Create the following file: /etc/apt/preferences.d/hrvojes-firefox-kde-pin-1000
                        2) Copy and paste the following into the file:
                        Code:
                        Package: *
                        Pin: release o=LP-PPA-hrvojes-firefox-kde
                        Pin-Priority: 1000
                        Now you won't have to worry about losing KDE integration after an update.
                        Someone could help, please?

And thanks to sumski again for your great work!

Comment

Originally posted by moray33 View Post
                          I just found out the new official PPA, but I'd like to know... How can I do this with the official PPA?

Someone could help, please?

And thanks to sumski again for your great work!
                          1. Create a pin file: sudo nano /etc/apt/preferences.d/blue-shell-firefox-kde-pin-1000
                          2. Copy and paste this in to the file:
                          Code:
                          Package: *
                          Pin: release o=LP-PPA-blue-shell-firefox-kde
                          Pin-Priority: 1000
                          Seems to work fine for me.

The file name may not matter but I changed it for the sake of being proper and organized.
                          Last edited by Xplorer4x4; Aug 02, 2012, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I am pretty confident the above is correct, but verification would be appreciated,

Just wanted to check is this is a bug or a add on problem, but when I got to kde-look, opendesktop, etc, and I click to view a thumbnail the pop up shows up showing me the image as it should, but I am unable to get the image to scroll down. This actually happens most of the time, but not all of the time. Go figure to, I just went to try to reproduce it one more time thinking of grabbing a screen shot to clarify. One of those days..been up 24-28 hours straight...

Comment

Apart from the missing "P" in "Package", it appears to be correct.

Comment

Originally posted by starbuck View Post
                                Hey sumski,
                                how about you be part of the team so you could add code-things and help with the maintanance?

On Launchpad it's no problem, and for github, just let me know if you have a profile there.
                                Thanks, but i think those guys will manage it
                                Since i'm already suggesting , i would add KParts Plugin to Suggests, it integrates other KDE apps with Firefox nicely:
                                This plugin uses KDE's KParts technology to embed file viewers (e.g. for PDF files) into non-KDE browsers. Tested browsers include both Mozilla Firefox and Opera, and is know to work with Chrome and Arora.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X