Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu Precise installed perfectly on my ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Vostro V13 - fixed a touchpad/mouse driver problem too.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by charles052 View Post
      Well, it was a fine install, but I've got 1 or 2 minor glitches that I'm hoping will work themselves out. While it's impressive, I'm just old fashioned and loved the look and feel of 10.04. That's the release to beat IMO....
      Lucid is an excellent release. Yesterday I gave an Acer 3690 on which I installed Kubuntu 10.04.4 to a fellow in need. There is still a year left on Lucid's LTS, and the Acer is an older, single CPU machine with 1G of RAM, so I decided that Lucid would be the most trouble free install. It fit perfectly, and even the old Broadcom 4318 chip activated nicely. Stellarium gives about 25-30 fps and YouTube videos play seamlessly.

I'm really hoping this release will be stable and I won't have to mess with it for the next 5 years, but considering how much I do with my computer, there's not a single install that I haven't broken at one time of another. This is the 3rd installation I've had on this computer and it's less than 6 months old! Kubuntu 10.04 holds the record for the most durable, bealting out my previous Windows 7 install. Yes, Winblows has beat Kubuntu a time or 2, but was much more of a resource hog and I think it burned out my last hard drive.
      I, too, am going to stay with 12.04 through out its entire LTS. Me, 12.04 and this four month old Acer 7739 plan to age gracefully over the next five years. I bought this machine new on Jan 3rd and immediately put Precise on it while Precise was Alpha. It's been a joyful ride with only a few bumps along the rode and never a need to reinstall. I started using 10.04 as an Alpha also, and when it was released I continued to use what I had initially installed and updated. That was the first time I ever used a version of Linux that wasn't installed from a Gold release. Precise makes the second.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have 11 running on multiple PCs and my mom's touchsmart was the first install to announce that 12 was available two weeks ago. This weekend my Touchsmart also announced that 12 was ready and I told it to update. Other than using up all my drive space on my usr partition and blocking the installation of LibreOffice clipart, upgrade was smooth as silk. Every thing that was working still works. Once I tweaked the partitions, the remaining programs installed too.

One thing I've noticed though is the memory usage has skyrocketed. On my Dell laptop which still hasn't received the upgrade notification 11 is using about 1 GB of Ram. On my Touchsmart, 12 is using almost 4 GB! In the two plus years I've been running Kubuntu on my Touchsmart, I've never noticed any Swap utilization. I now do. (Very small but still some use. On a fresh reboot the memory is still running almost 2GB and rises during use)

Another annoyance. The Kubuntu start up screen on my Touchsmart looks like typed text and not the pretty Kubuntu screen I see on my laptop. Not sure if this has anything to do with running grub legacy on the touchsmart. (My HP has multiple OSs and Grub is installed on a dedicated partition)

Comment

Originally posted by slk230 View Post
          One thing I've noticed though is the memory usage has skyrocketed. On my Dell laptop which still hasn't received the upgrade notification 11 is using about 1 GB of Ram. On my Touchsmart, 12 is using almost 4 GB! In the two plus years I've been running Kubuntu on my Touchsmart, I've never noticed any Swap utilization. I now do. (Very small but still some use. On a fresh reboot the memory is still running almost 2GB and rises during use)
          What does top tell you about memory utilization?

Comment

A Gb, ya. 4Gb? Something run a muck.

You might try htop to check your RAM usage. Mine shows 1255/7657
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

The "make and model" of my custom built desktop computer is:

Gygabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 board
              AMD Athlon II x2 255
              8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
              Gigabyte GV-R6450C-1G graphics card
              500 GB WD Green
              Retired Merchant Seaman, 45 years service. (Computer 1): Gygabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 board, AMD Athlon II x2 255 cpu, GV-R6450C-1G graphics, 2 x 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB WD Green HD. (Computer 2): Asus F2A85-M PRO board, AMD A-Series A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad Core 100W cpu, 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                What does top tell you about memory utilization?
                Dell ATG 630 got prompted for the upgrade yesterday so I told it to go ahead. Installed without a
                hitch. Memory looks the same as before the update. About 900 Mb out of 1GB.

As to the Touchsmart, Plasma-Desktop is using 1.7 GB and Kwin is using 300 Mb. My desktop is
                a static wall paper image and no widgets. No idea why the memory use is so high.

Comment

I'm running Oneiric and I've never gotten the alert that there's a new release, unlike previous release upgrades. Even do-release-upgrade proclaims "No new release found." Something must be wrong with my environment -- but what? I'd like to avoid having to do a new install, especially since many people here report that the upgrade procedure works very well.

Comment

I decided to move to Kubuntu 12.04 on my wife's Acer One 521. I stuck in the 32b USB stick and installed it without problems.

Up came the Plasma-Netbook display. Ugh! My wife wouldn't be able to grok that DE so I opened a Konsole and installed Plasma-Desktop. Then I went to SystemSettings and under the Workspace Cachew switched from Netbook to Desktop. Ahhh... familiar territory.

The only problem I had was that the battery was not detected, a known bug. But, that is immaterial. The battery has been good in the past for over 4 hours. She does email and some browsing for maybe 30 minutes two or three times a day, and then puts it back on the shelf and plugs it in. Or not, depending on how she feels.

Another problem was that the microphone didn't work in Skype. So, I stripped out Pulseaudio and ran Alsa mixer to max digital and capture. The mic started working.

Beautiful little machine. Blazing fast with Precise. (It is a 64b machine and my 64b LiveUSB ran nicely, but the 32b OS is more than fast enough for what my wife does. If she takes up video editing I may have to reconsider.

Comment

Well spoke too soon. Just tried upgrading my Dell Optiplex gx270 and now neither Oneric or Pagolin will launch. I get the plymouth screen, some moving dots and then nothing. When I edit grub and turn off the quiet option I see a list of commands scroll by and the system stops at "Stopping Kernal Messages".
                      This machine has dual monitors and an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 video card.

Comment

Acer Extensa 5630G

Code:
                        [B]System:[/B]    Host: shumarija Kernel: 3.2.0-25-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE 4.8.3 Distro: Ubuntu 12.04 precise
                        [B]Machine:[/B]   System: Acer (portable) product: Extensa 5630 version: 0100
                                   Mobo: Acer model: Homa version: Rev Bios: Phoenix version: V1.36 date: 10/30/2009
                        [B]CPU:[/B]       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5800 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) 
                                   Clock Speeds: 1: 2000.00 MHz 2: 2000.00 MHz
                        [B]Graphics Card[/B]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV635 [Mobility Radeon HD 3650] 
                                   X.Org: 1.11.3 driver: fglrx Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz 
                                   GLX Renderer: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 GLX Version: 3.3.11631 - CPC
                        [B]Audio:[/B]     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV635 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 3600 Series] driver: snd_hda_intel
                                   Card-2: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
                                   Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
                        [B]Network:[/B]   Card-1: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5764M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3 
                                   Card-2: Intel WiFi Link 5100 driver: iwlwifi
                        [B]Drives:[/B]    HDD Total Size: 1500.3GB (55.2% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST9500420ASG size: 500.1GB 
                                   2: id: /dev/sdb model: Silicon size: 1000.2GB 
                        [B]Partition:[/B] ID: / size: 391G used: 365G (99%) fs: ext4 
                        [B]Sensors:[/B]   System Temperatures: cpu: 55.0C mobo: 55.0C 
                        [B]Info:[/B]      Processes: 183 Uptime: 3 days Memory: 2050.1/3950.3MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.0
                        sigpic

Comment

I see you use inxi (at least, the output is identical to inxi). I use it also. A great CLI utility, and one I support financially.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Installed on my Toshiba Satellite L750 and iMac 21.5" Core2Duo with ReFit and OSX. No problems whatsoever.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                              I see you use inxi (at least, the output is identical to inxi). I use it also. A great CLI utility, and one I support financially.
                              Agreed, i use it since my Sid days, a wonderful tool.
                              sigpic

Comment

It installed perfectly on my machine too, see signature below.

Edit: I am using the nVidia driver (worked fine without it too but better with it) and I used the kubuntu-low-fat-settings package, had to turn a few wanted things back on though, everything still peachy here, keep it updated, etc.
                                Last edited by tek_heretik; Jun 10, 2012, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X