Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu Precise installed perfectly on my ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Precise installed perfectly on my ...

old Sony VAIO VGN-FW140/E.
    8)
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I, too, had a perfect online install with Kubuntu Precise. Not one glitch.
    Retired Merchant Seaman, 45 years service. (Computer 1): Gygabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 board, AMD Athlon II x2 255 cpu, GV-R6450C-1G graphics, 2 x 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB WD Green HD. (Computer 2): Asus F2A85-M PRO board, AMD A-Series A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad Core 100W cpu, 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD

Comment

Not so good for me. I tried to upgrade from Natty, first it wouldn't boot at all so I had to fix that. Then networking didn't work after upgrade - and I couldn't fix it - and the machine crashed and died at random intervals. There were also miscellaneous kde app crashes too.
      Decided to do a fresh install, it's almost vanilla, although I've started to install some extras such as ISCSI, apache and multimedia stuff. (I'm using it as I speak) but this crashes too and no crash info is gathered. I suspect it may be the display drivers crashing. I'll soldier on, although it would be good to find out if anyone else out there is having the same problem as there is very little info' that I can find.
      Last edited by Mebunto; Apr 28, 2012, 03:08 AM.

Comment

System76 Gazelle laptop (gazp6) -- but I guess that's not exactly news or surprising.

Comment

awesome, fast booting on my Toshiba Satellite L300

----------------------------
          Reguard : http://goo.gl/wOXlx http://goo.gl/7jta6 http://goo.gl/oZ0tv

Comment

Originally posted by erchie View Post
            I, too, had a perfect online install with Kubuntu Precise. Not one glitch.
            What's the make and model?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by Mebunto View Post
              Not so good for me. I tried to upgrade from Natty, first it wouldn't boot at all so I had to fix that. Then networking didn't work after upgrade - and I couldn't fix it - and the machine crashed and died at random intervals. There were also miscellaneous kde app crashes too.
              Decided to do a fresh install, it's almost vanilla, although I've started to install some extras such as ISCSI, apache and multimedia stuff. (I'm using it as I speak) but this crashes too and no crash info is gathered. I suspect it may be the display drivers crashing. I'll soldier on, although it would be good to find out if anyone else out there is having the same problem as there is very little info' that I can find.
              My experience with version upgrading vs clean install is that the former is usually problematic and the latter is usually good.

I had Kubuntu Lucid running on my old Sony since Feb of 2009 (alpha) and it has been faultless since Lucid was released. I decided to test the upgrade method. It failed to do the job.

I had created a LiveUSB stick using unetbootin and decided to use it to install the 64b Precise as the solo OS, replacing Lucid. The install seemed to go perfectly, but when I rebooted without the USB stick in the install paused at the initial black screen, couple seconds into the boot process. When I rebooted with the USB stick in Precise came up and ran perfectly. I used KParted to check the sda1 and found out that the install did not mark the boot flag on the HD. So, I set the boot flag and rebooted without the USB stick. That induced a continuous reboot cycle, even with the 64bi USB stick inserted. So, I inserted the 32b LiveUSB stick and it booted up nicely with the "Try" & "Install" options. I used KParted to unset the boot flag and then deleted all partitions and left it blank. Then I used "Startup Disk Creator" to make both the 32b and 64b LiveUSB sticks (replacing what was created with unetbootin). I inserted the 64b LiveUSB stick and powered up, selected the install option and away it went. 15 minutes later I was looking at a fresh install without a USB stick plugged in.

On my Sony Precise is a little snappier than Lucid and KDE 4.8.2 is awesome.

Comment

perfect install with Kubuntu Precise on my selfmade desktop

Comment

I've installed twice using the upgrade method. It's gone flawless both times. Love Precise!

Comment

I just did an upgrade from Oneiric 64 Bit on my HP Pavilion DV6 to Precise and the installation went absolutely flawless. Now working smoothly and looks pretty fast as well. I found Precise booting time and shut down time to be much much less than Oneiric and every thing works out of box. Thanks Kubuntu for a GR8 upgrade

Comment

Hellish install...but finally got it. That nvidia driver issue is a hell of a way to start out an LTS....

On the up side, I gave my computer a bit of a performance boost. Invested in a new ssd and some more ram. Went with 64 bit instead of 32 bit like before. Its flying!!! I have a 14 second boot time, before tweaking!

Comment

For my notebook (the one in my sig) I had a bit of a problem upgrading from 11.10. I grabbed all the latest packages, but it still wouldn't start the upgrade, even after rebooting. Only when I did a cold shutdown, and let the computer sit there for a bit, did it work. Once I logged back in, there was an immediate icon indicating a new release, and the rest of the update went without a hitch.

Comment

Well, it was a fine install, but I've got 1 or 2 minor glitches that I'm hoping will work themselves out. While it's impressive, I'm just old fashioned and loved the look and feel of 10.04. That's the release to beat IMO. On the other hand, starting anew is making me find better programs and solutions to my problems, so I can't say this is a bad thing. This may end up being my favorite release yet, but only time will tell. So far, I can say it feels superior to 10.10-11.10.

I'm really hoping this release will be stable and I won't have to mess with it for the next 5 years, but considering how much I do with my computer, there's not a single install that I haven't broken at one time of another. This is the 3rd installation I've had on this computer and it's less than 6 months old! Kubuntu 10.04 holds the record for the most durable, bealting out my previous Windows 7 install. Yes, Winblows has beat Kubuntu a time or 2, but was much more of a resource hog and I think it burned out my last hard drive.

Comment

Another flawless Kubuntu upgrade for me. I started using Kubuntu around 9.10 and have never had a problem with an upgrade.

Comment

Installed and it runs well on an old IBM T23 laptop using a spare 30 gig hdd (1.13 gig cpu, 768 mb ram) seems fairly quick for the old lap top.
                              The wifi set up was a breeze, find the network, type in the WPA key and away we go.

Question;
                              How do I link USB0 to Comport3 to run my OBD II tester? When this is sorted out, the good hdd goes back in with a fresh 12.04 install.
                              Last edited by digger57; May 07, 2012, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X