Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
        My favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          RATS!
          What a story, Jerry.

My ThinkCentre (not ThinkStation as I previously wrote) M92p arrived the day before we went to Ohio to visit relatives (thus my absence from KFN). I scrambled to get the basics set up so I could at least keep up with my email and calendar. After returning home, I wiped it and did a more careful setup. It's pure Debian 7, and I discovered a wonderful tool called iRedMail that automates all of Postfix + Dovecot + Spamassassin + ClamAV + Amavis + Cluebringer + Apache + PostgreSQL + phpPgAdmin + Roundcube + Awstats + Fail2ban. Neat!

Comment

I really really solved my connection problems this time!

Well, I found that Muon has an option to downgrade an app or to lock the current version. I've been running 12.04 for about 20 months and have loaded it up with so much stuff I think my install was suffering from clogged arteries. After playing with locking the kernel, nvidia and a few other apps I got tired of it and decided to take the NUCLEAR OPTION!

I mounted my Win7 partititon and copied my entire home account to a subdirectory in my Win7 user download directory.
            I downloaded the Kubuntu 12.04.3 64bit ISO, checked it with md5sum and made a LiveCD and a LiveUSB.
            I needed to check out how it would work with my hardware so I tried the LiveUSB first but decided it was too slow. Then I booted with the LiveCD.

The NetworkManager was rock solid and my Internet connection was fast. I installed FireFox. I got a 13 ms ping time and my download maxed what my ISP allowed.
            Then I tried the 3D, which was on by default. I installed Stellarium, which gave me 60 frames/sec, which is vsync speed!!! I decided NOT to install Bumblebee or Primus.
            This performance was while running the LiveCD.

I decided to install from the LiveCD desktop. FOUR hours later I was still at 90% complete, so killed the process. Even though I could boot using the recovery kernel the reslover wasn't installed and DNS didn't work.
            I rebooted the LiveCD and chose the install option instead of the run option. 30 minutes later I had a Kubuntu desktop running the KDE 4.8.5 desktop. I needed dropbox but I will not install UbuntuOne's daemon because it resyncs too much and slows the bootup down. Without it I get a desktop in less than a minute. With it the desktop takes 2 to 3 minutes to become active.

I also have NOT installed the PostgreSQL database system nor the Qt 4 SDK and the apps I worked on before I retired. Apps and things I haven't looked at or used in over a year I didn't reinstall or copy back over.

I also decided NOT to install Skype, but use Google Hangouts, Voice or Talk instead.

All in all, I am a pretty happy camper with my reinstall. Things are back to the way I was used to them being before NetworkManager and my connection started acting up.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The SAGA continues!

My 12.04.3 istallation, including my eth0 connection, is running great except for three things:

Code:
              [drm:gen6_sanitize_pm] *ERROR* Power management discrepancy: GEN6_RP_INTERRUPT_LIMITS expected 16000000, was 12060000
              Msg #7 in the following bug report has the solution:
              https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1168467

Secondly, the 12.04.3 installation killed the ability of my ath9k driver to make a connection to my wifi.
              I don't care. I don't use it.

Thirdly, YouTube videos kill my eth0 internet connection. Randomly and repeatedly at varying lenghts of time. No DNS, no connection. Nothing. Running "sudo service network-manager restart" does that and the connection will resume. It sometimes gets annoying when restarting a video if you have to wait for the ad to show you the "Skip Ad" link, unless the ad is a full 30 sec or 1 min ad. Anyway, I went googling for "youtube videos disconnection of internet". As usual, Network Manger remain blissfully UNAWARE that the connection no longer exists. Here is a sample complain:
              http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/...s-my-internet/
              but that Windows problem was caused by the AVG "Web Protection" app. I'm not running that, but perhaps something similar in Kubuntu's security is doing it?

I suspect that it is hardware related because my wife's Acer 0D521 netbook is running Kubuntu 12.04 and she has no problems with either her wifi connection nor with runnng YouTube videos.

Out of grins and giggles I ran Roaring Ringtail from a LiveCD to see if it had any problems running YouTube videos from FireFox. I ran videos for over an hour without a single disconnect. (However, I installed aiccu to see if my IPv6 connection could be made. It would not connect to my tunnel.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X