X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

laptop not charging.

Hi folks,

just discovered something new with my laptop running 12.04.

After its been to sleep, the battery does not charge. The battery panel indicator says its changing, but infact it is not. The only way to get it to start again is to power off, remove the battery, put it back in, and all is good until the next suspend.

This is relatively new behaviour, it was working fine during the Beta testing, but I don't know exactly when it started playing up.

Any ideas?

ta

Peter.

What does

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
    cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info

show?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

(removed after re-reading the OP)

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
      and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Thanks GreyGeek... in line below.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        What does

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
        present: yes
        capacity state: ok
        charging state: charged
        present rate: 1 mA
        remaining capacity: 5600 mAh
        present voltage: 12895 mV

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info
        present: yes
        design capacity: 5600 mAh
        last full capacity: 3735 mAh
        battery technology: rechargeable
        design voltage: 11100 mV
        design capacity warning: 560 mAh
        design capacity low: 169 mAh
        cycle count: 0
        capacity granularity 1: 56 mAh
        capacity granularity 2: 56 mAh
        model number: DELL TX28302
        serial number: 1257
        battery type: LION
        OEM info: SMP

show?
        Peter

Comment

Those readings must be after you've recovered the charging ability by powering down and removing the battery.

BTW, /proc is gradually being phased out in favor of /sys, and the BAT0 data will be/is here:
          /sys/bus/acpi/drivers/battery/PNP0C0A:00/power_supply/BAT0/

The command "apci" will fetch the hardware info easily. You can open a Konsole and use

man acpi

to read about the various switches that command uses.

Put your box into suspension and then wake it up and in a Konsole run

acpi -Vi

and post the output here.

The problem may be a need to re-calibrate your battery.

Let me add that you should NOT let your LION battery discharge completely to 0%. That could damage your battery. The video says to charge the battery to 100% and then put it into the sleep mode till it shuts down, then leave it set for an additional 5 hours. Then fully recharge it to 100% before using it.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; May 14, 2012, 10:48 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Since the OP hasn't come back I'm stealing his thread: My issue is only a little different.

Dell V13 Vostro, original battery (not removable without dis-assembly so I can't test the remove-and-return behavior) and charger.

Kubuntu 12.04
            Battery tray says: Charging
            /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state says: Charged

Behavior is battery does not charge while Kubuntu is running and plugged-in, but holds it's state of charge - does not drain.
            When plugged-in and off - battery charges normally.

I searched around a bit and found old threads referencing starting "upower" but this made no difference. Interesting to note, upower -d shows "charging" although the energy/percentage does not climb regardless of the length of time it's plugged in.

This behavior has been going on since the upgrade to 12.04 but I haven't bothered to fix it - I just told my wife to shutdown once in a while to recharge the battery.

On a side-note - the power and battery LEDs are no longer lighting up and I swear the did in the past.

Please Read Me

Comment

Steal away.. lol.. My issue hasn't happened as frequently as it was, but still occasionally happens. The only way I've found to fix it is to remove the battery and put it back in (which isn't possible in your case by the sounds of things). It's rare now, but still annoying.

Peter.

Comment

Working...
              X