This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Liquidator View Post
    If you downloaded the the 64 bit beta 2 then that's what you will have installed from your DVD. In running the devel-release-upgrade command I think you may have upgraded to (ahem) the beta 2 i.e simply re-dowloaded what you already had. That command is only used to upgrade from a prior version (eg 11.10) to the 12.04 beta.

To keep pace with updates of 12.04 you simply need the following commands:

sudo apt-get update

This updates the package list

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

This downloads and installs any updated packages.

You may have downloaded the beta but using these commands will ensure you keep up to date, so you will not need to download 12.04 when it is properly "released" tomorrow, as you'll already be there.

To check your version, type

lsb_release -a

Hope this helps
    thanks, I will try this stuff.

lsb_release -a tells me that it unbuntu 12.04 LST but not if it is 32 or 64

if I find that the system d/l the 32 bit version, is it
    just simpler to delete the system on the hard disk, so maybe it will boot
    from the DVD? I went into the boot menu, and selected DVD but it went
    ahead and booted the previous version. and there doesn't seem to be a
    setup or installer on the
    DVD, so all I could do saw view the files therein.
    Last edited by bobk; Apr 25, 2012, 06:38 AM. Reason: new info

Comment

Does your bios have the option to boot from the optical disk drive?
      If so make sure it is set before/above the HDD.

If you have the option it's in my view easier to make a bootable USB thumb drive and boot from it.

Comment

I think once you run the lsb_release-a command it will be immediately apparent whether you have 32 or 64 bit. Hopefully because the command devel-release-command is itself an upgrade, if your DVD was 64bit the upgrade will be too.

I've never used kubuntu dvd before but it does appear to be a "live" version so I can't see why you can't boot from it (although you presumably could the first time you tried it).

However, looking at the instructions it says you get a boot prompt at which you need to type "live". Are you skipping that step by any chance?

Comment

I think once you run the lsb_release-a command it will be immediately apparent whether you have 32 or 64 bit. Hopefully because the command devel-release-command is itself an upgrade, if your DVD was 64bit the upgrade will be too.

I've never used kubuntu dvd before but it does appear to be a "live" version so I can't see why you can't boot from it (although you presumably could the first time you tried it).

However, looking at the instructions it says you get a boot prompt at which you need to type "live". Are you skipping that step by any chance?
          I didn't see a boot prompt, it just went to the blue screen with the logo. then booted into 11.04, I guess I will try to install something 64 bit, and see what happens...thanks for your insights.

Comment

Originally posted by bobk View Post
            thanks, I will try this stuff.

lsb_release -a tells me that it unbuntu 12.04 LST but not if it is 32 or 64

if I find that the system d/l the 32 bit version, is it
            just simpler to delete the system on the hard disk, so maybe it will boot
            from the DVD? I went into the boot menu, and selected DVD but it went
            ahead and booted the previous version. and there doesn't seem to be a
            setup or installer on the
            DVD, so all I could do saw view the files therein.
            Code:
            uname -m
            will tell you what architecture you are running on. But note that you cannot upgrade a 32bit (x86) computer to 64bit (x86_64) without doing a complete reinstall.

Comment

Okay so let me make sure I have it straight.

You were running 11.04? That appears to be the issue. My reading of the documentation

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades

Would appear to suggest that you can only upgrade to 12.04 from either 11.10 or 10.04 LTS. So if you wanted to do an upgrade to 12.04 you would have to first upgrade it to 11.10.

IMHO that would at this stage probably be a pointless exercise. A fresh install of 12.04 will be better. Back up your home directory first - if its not on a separate partition it will be wiped by a fresh install.

Have you not at any time been able to boot from the DVD you have burned? If that is the case logic says you need to

1. Do an md5sum check on the 12.04 image you have downloaded
              2. Burn another DVD at the slowest possible speed.

However as an aside you might also like to consider this. Did you burn the downloaded file as a disk image or did you simply burn the download to DVD? If the latter that would perfectly explain the failure to boot. If so, right click on the downloaded file and select "create disk image with K3b".
              Last edited by The Liquidator; Apr 25, 2012, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                Code:
                uname -m
                will tell you what architecture you are running on. But note that you cannot upgrade a 32bit (x86) computer to 64bit (x86_64) without doing a complete reinstall.
                that told me, x386 _ 64

thanks

Comment

Okay so let me make sure I have it straight.

You were running 11.04? That appears to be the issue. My reading of the documentation

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades

the uname -m told me what I needed. and I am OK....thanks for your suggestions

Would appear to suggest that you can only upgrade to 12.04 from either 11.10 or 10.04 LTS. So if you wanted to do an upgrade to 12.04 you would have to first upgrade it to 11.10.

IMHO that would at this stage probably be a pointless exercise. A fresh install of 12.04 will be better. Back up your home directory first - if its not on a separate partition it will be wiped by a fresh install.

Have you not at any time been able to boot from the DVD you have burned? If that is the case logic says you need to

1. Do an md5sum check on the 12.04 image you have downloaded
                  2. Burn another DVD at the slowest possible speed.

However as an aside you might also like to consider this. Did you burn the downloaded file as a disk image or did you simply burn the download to DVD? If the latter that would perfectly explain the failure to boot. If so, right click on the downloaded file and select "create disk image with K3b".

the "uname -m" told me what I needed...I am where I want to be.

thanks for the sugestions.

Comment

no audio in videos

I am trying to play avi files, and other videos. the vids take a long time to start, and I have no audio at all. I just upgraded this machine, to use as a "home theater" I was using a p4, and a old nvidia card,
                    so I went to a i3 and a HD5450 ati card with hdmi. well vids were problimatic before, now they are worse. should I get audio through htmi under linuz? or is that to much to expect. I plugged in a USB speaker.
                    and when I can get into the multimedia setting panel. the test button gets result. but still no audio in videos. most of the time the settings just crash. I did run the updates. not sure where to go here. I really would
                    like to use kubuntu....any sugestions? well back to the other machine to see if I can figure anything...>

Comment

I hope someone has a workable solution for you bobk, as I have never been able to get sound to my hdtv (also ATI Graphics) using anything but Windows.
                      Kubuntu 20.04
                      HP Pavilion 17, 8GB DDR3, A10 APU w/ ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Comment

Open a Konsole and issue

sudo alsamixer

Hit F5 to make visible all of the controls. You may have to use the right and left arrows to slide the "windows" one way or the other to see all the controls.

If a control has "MM" at the bottom arrow over to it to highlight it, and press the "M" key.

Make sure the Master Volume, the PCM and the Digital sliders are at the top of the white region but not into the red, if you can. KMixer and Pulse don't often give the user access to the "Digital" slider. Also make sure the "Capture" slider is in the white.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

My 11.10 just died. I've been dealing with annoying shutdowns and I've never found a solution so I thought I would do a clean install when 12.04 comes out.

Tomorrow right? I really need to get back to work!
                          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tweev View Post
                            I really need to get back to work!Thanks
                            Go on - tweaking your kubuntu install is much more fun. You know you want to.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw View Post
                              Go on - tweaking your kubuntu install is much more fun. You know you want to.
                              It was weird. I installed TexLiv from source and it somehow filled up my drive after only installing 1/2 way. Now my computer just fails a drive test and hangs. I can enter safe mode and get to a command prompt but really the random shutdowns were getting REALLY annoying (I thought it was a temperature issue but I keep going back to it being a video card issue).

i've been using Kubuntu for about 5 years and have really liked it. Unfortunately, it's gotten to the point that if 12.04 doesn't work fairly easily on my machine I'm just going to go Mac (BOO! I know) I just need something that works.

Comment

When you're prepared to part with money for a Mac I'd suggest to first look at the offerings of Lenovo.
                                I am seriously impressed by it's Linux compatibility.
                                Though Kubuntu was nice 5 years ago, I dare postulate it now has the most advanced DE of any consumer OS.

Comment

Working...
                                X