This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    To retain status as a recognized flavor, these questions need answered. Unfortunately, precious little information is available on what it means to be a recognized flavor. There's nothing about requirements for branding or following the Ubuntu release schedule, for instance.
    Well the good news it that, at the very least, by being an official community release, all the packages Kubuntu needs will stay in the repo's. As Kubuntu as always strived to be the best KDE distribution, it has always been mostly stock KDE on Debian / Ubuntu base. As development on KDE is alive and well, there is no reason for anyone to leave Kubuntu-goodness IMHO.

Again, the only difference really is that Canonical does not sell support contracts for Kubuntu. I'm always on IRC, and I can tell you J. Riddell is as just about as active as ever in Kubuntu land. Also keep in mind that the Kubuntu Council is still active and isn't going anywhere as far as I know.

It is indeed a great and exciting time to be here =)
    Last edited by dequire; Apr 17, 2012, 03:04 PM.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
      As development on KDE is alive and well, there is no reason for anyone to leave Kubuntu-goodness IMHO.

I'm always on IRC, and I can tell you J. Riddell is as just about as active as ever in Kubuntu land. Also keep in mind that the Kubuntu Council is still active as isn't going anywhere as far as I know.
      Actions, as they say, speak louder than words. And the actions right now appear all good.

Comment

WOW. Alot of chat since I was last here lol.

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
        This is the first time I've not been forced to reinstall the system from alpha to beta stage (and this is a 11.10 upgrade(!) ). Testing is testing and I've always been willing and accept that it'll brake at least once during testing, only once I had some grub issues that I worked out - possibly I have learned with every release how to rescue my system, fact remains that this is so far the most stable test release yet for me.
        That sounds really great.. especially since this is honestly really the first time I'm testing Kubuntu or a linux distro full-time. I want to help out and make the distro better, although don't know if Kubuntu has a launchpad or... you know.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        I hope you didn't interpret anything I wrote as indicating that further development on Kubuntu would cease. It won't. With two developers now, instead of one, I suspect that development will expand, not contract.
        O_O The more the better I guess =p

Will Kubuntu keep the name it has, which is based on Kde +UBUNTU, or will it have to or be forced by Canonical to change the brand name?
        Well Xubuntu and others still have *buntu at the end... I imagine it's only if it uses the same build system and remains built on Ubuntu with some modifications or something.

I really hope Kubuntu stays on Ubuntu although... Debian although stabler, seems a little bit more work on your side kindof distro.. but it's a great base. About 6.0.4 KDE being less snappy and stable, WHAT? I though Debian was known for it's robustness... lol
        12 year old KDE and Ubuntu lover. Nothing much...

Comment

Originally posted by macwolf74 View Post
          .... About 6.0.4 KDE being less snappy and stable, WHAT? I though Debian was known for it's robustness... lol
          The STABLE version of Debian IS noted for its robustness. I wasn't aware that Debian 6.04 KDE was "less snappy". In fact, as a VB guest OS on my system it is snappy. It's just stock KDE and not as polished as Kubuntu, IMO.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The STABLE version of Debian IS noted for its robustness. I wasn't aware that Debian 6.04 KDE was "less snappy". In fact, as a VB guest OS on my system it is snappy. It's just stock KDE and not as polished as Kubuntu, IMO.
            Oh, was mislead there. Sorry =p

Comment

Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Sometimes what I think and what my fingers type are not the same, and my brain isn't quick enough any more to catch the difference.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

This from the Netrunner OS site:

"Blue Systems is the sponsor of
                  Netrunner
                  Kubuntu
                  LinuxMint (KDE Edition)
                  and KDE-related projects like:
                  KDE Folderview
                  KDE MenuEditor (QML port).
                  Muon Software Center (QML port)
                  kde-gtk-config"

It would appear that Blue Systems has a huge interest in all development of the KDE Desktop and is now, and plans to continue, developing various KDE focused distros. In my opinion this is very good news for all KDE users.
                  Kubuntu 20.04
                  HP Pavilion 17, 8GB DDR3, A10 APU w/ ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Comment

Originally posted by tdockery97
                    This from the Netrunner OS site:

"Blue Systems is the sponsor of
                    Netrunner
                    Kubuntu
                    LinuxMint (KDE Edition)
                    and KDE-related projects like:
                    KDE Folderview
                    KDE MenuEditor (QML port).
                    Muon Software Center (QML port)
                    kde-gtk-config"

It would appear that Blue Systems has a huge interest in all development of the KDE Desktop and is now, and plans to continue, developing various KDE focused distros. In my opinion this is very good news for all KDE users.
                    Yes, this is very great for the KDE community and probably developers...

Comment

I'm new here, but not to Linux. I had used Ubuntu/Gnome since Dapper, but left when Unity was shoved down my throat. I tried Kubuntu at that time, but found it to be a bit buggy and unstable. Moved over to LMDE/Gnome until recently when they forced the Gnome3 upgrade. I was actually to a point where I honestly didn't want to use my computers anymore. Then I decided to try Kubuntu 12.04 to see if KDE had matured at all. I am shocked... amazed... ENTHRALLED! I am so happy with this release. It is easy, stable and extremely comforatable.

I don't understand Canonical's thinking behind abandoning Kubuntu at this time, since KDE 4.8 is truly impressive and this release has been nearly flawless. But so be it... you've got a new convert.

Comment

Originally posted by aybesea View Post
                        I don't understand Canonical's thinking behind abandoning Kubuntu at this time, since KDE 4.8 is truly impressive and this release has been nearly flawless. But so be it... you've got a new convert.
                        Welcome to the forum, and to the Kubuntu community.

If I may... Canonical didn't "abandon" Kubuntu. Kubuntu has always been a community-driven distribution, like the other recognized Ubuntu flavors. Kubuntu enjoyed the special distinction of having a Canonical employee guide the development of the project. Canonical decided they no longer wished to fund that role. Now, another organization has decided to step in.

Kubuntu is at no risk of disappearing.

Comment

I wasn't implying that I thought Kubuntu was going away... simply questioning the logic behind Canonical's decision. It seems to be poorly thought out. But hey... what do I know? Anyway... I'm quite happy that I've landed here. And thank you for the warm welcome.

Comment

More than anything else, it reflect's Canonical's decision to focus their efforts on finding more income from a couple sources... Unity, which they hope will be successful on tablets and smartphones; and Ubuntu One, which offers subscriptions. Kubuntu falls outside that scope, and the decision to move Jonathan Riddel to other projects meant that Kubuntu would move to the same standing as Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Mythbuntu, Edubuntu, and Ubuntu Studio.

Comment

After reading all of the positive posts concerning 12.04 Kubuntu, I'm looking forward to installing it on my main computer. A while back I dumped 11.10 due to unmitigated issues and turned to LMDE, it is decent but I dislike the occasional show stopper. I like a "set it and forget it" approach to my OS and look forward to a LTS.

Comment

Welcome to KFN, scrubjay. No need to wait six more days, install it now, tonight!

Comment

Working...
                                X